Fat Man and Little Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fat Man and Little Boy Reviews

½ March 13, 2016
To sum this film up: Nothing happens for two hours and then they blow up the Bomb. There was so much drama that could be milked from the Manhattan Project, but we end up learning nothing about the actual development of the bomb or even any character insights. Things just happen. What a waste. Manhattan may be over the top in making everything a zero sum game, but at least it gives us a reason to care about these people.
May 20, 2015
good historical drama about the atom bomb and it's creation.
½ September 9, 2014
A nice effort and Newman is typically excellent, although the film is a little tedious at times.
½ October 13, 2013
I'm not good at fairy tales, little boy, so just give me the happy ending.

General Leslie Groves is in charge of the Manhattan project in nowhere New Mexico. A group of soldiers are in the process of building the first atomic bomb; however, some soldiers are reluctant to finish the project because of the mass destruction their efforts may lead to. General Leslie doesn't care about their feelings, he cares about getting the job done. Who will win, the emotional soldiers or the unrelenting general?

"Doesn't that make him an unnecessary risk?"
"No, failure is an unnecessary risk."

Roland Joffe, director of The Killing Fields, The Mission, The Scarlett Letter, Captivity, Vatel, City of Joy, Goodbye Lover, and the upcoming Singularity (Josh Hartnet), delivers Fat Man and Little Boy. The storyline for this picture is just okay but the characters are fairly interesting. The settings are perfect for the film and the actors deliver solid performances. The cast is impressive and includes Paul Newman, John Cusack, Laura Dern, Natasha Richardson, Bonnie Bedelia, and Dwight Shultz.

"She's a known communist."

I DVR'd this picture because it starred the infamous Paul Newman (that, and I had never seen this). I was pleasantly surprised this also starred John Cusack (I had no idea going in). Overall, I found this film better than average but a bit stale and boring at times. I would consider this a must see for Newman and Cusack fans, but I definitely would not add this to your DVD collection. You'll likely only watch it once.

"Everybody should make it but me. I'm dead."

Grade: C+/B- (6.5)
July 31, 2013
my teacher tell this to me and my classmates....
½ July 21, 2013
I didn't like the fact that the scientists were trying not to use the weapon. But we were fighting for our lives at this time period and the winner was us, but if the other side would've won this race we would be living in the dark ages. We had to win and that's what the movie should' ve portrade.
½ July 10, 2013
You have to like history and this doctored a little, but it is uncommon to see a history movie with great actors, at least 2. If you do not like history, it is still a very good plot and well made. True history always makes the best plots.
April 12, 2013
I can certainly tell that most of the movie reviewers here have no idea ( and havent even studied ) what the "real" manhattan project was. I have been at 5 nuclear weapons complexes and filmed over 200 hours of footage, and have studied the subject for over 15 years. I can tell you that this film ranks as one of my favorites. Sure, there are SMALL excetions like Szliard didn't meet General groves in a hotel bathtub ( which in my opinion made him look like a homosexual - which he wasn't ), but all that aside, the sets are VERY much like the real project. And although he's passed on, I do have to say that Roger Eberts take on the movie is SERIOUSLY FLAWED....throughout all of the film all the characters struggle with the issue of what happens if we make this thing work...just as the scientists that I've interviewed from the 1st Chicago Pile did when Enrico Fermi, Al Wattenburg, and the rest knew when they saw the pile would self-sustain back in the early 40's. I have certainly learned from these POOR reviews NEVER to trust a movie critic !!!!
March 24, 2013
Better than I'd expected, even though it leaves the interesting questions unanswered, and some of the troubling episodes in the future. But I approve of its attempt to raise the right questions without trying too hard to read the minds of any of the protagonists, leaving the answers up to us... All the same, now curious to watch one of the documentaries about Oppenheimer and Teller....
May 1, 2012
Great for educational purposes, and it wasn't that boring because there were so many well known actors on this movie.
½ October 30, 2011
An OK historical recreation of the development of the atomic bomb at Los Alamos. Newman is good as the Army general leading the effort. Baltimore's own Dwight Schultz is a poor-man's Robert Oppenheimer. He just didn't convince me. Maybe that's because there is almost no technical discussion in the movie even though the story centers on a huge secret effort by the US's top physicists. Spoiler alert: they succeeded. Recommended for fans of historical docu-dramas.
June 27, 2011
Its an amateurish disaster.There is no focus and any serious moral posturing that could have been put worth is ruined by oversimplifying the questions and the answers.
½ April 23, 2011
Not bad, but lots of untapped potential. Might deserve a retelling, but then again, I wasn't there - maybe not.
½ November 30, 2010
"Hey Oppenheimer! Oppenheimer! You oughta stop playing God, 'cause you're no good at it, and the position's taken!"
September 28, 2010
More of a history lesson. It is scary though that the people who were in charge of making the bomb treated it more like a project with a deadline than something which changed the course of history forever. It makes it very clear they had no idea what they were getting into..
July 23, 2010
As a medical professional, the second half of this movie was really interesting to me. Two of the scientists who worked on this bomb unwittingly became the first cases of acute radiation sickness. Little was known about radiation poisoning before the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.
½ July 9, 2010
Loosely based on actual events. I hate when Hollywood takes liberties with movies
June 5, 2010
If you're a history buff this is worth watching once, though might be a bit melodramatic for your tastes. It does feature the great Paul Newman and a decent supporting cast, including John Cusack and the late Natasha Richardson, but I fear a lot of what transpires in this movie was fictional, especially the romantic interludes. It seems to me they try to glamorize and sensationalize the atomic bombings of Japan. Trust me, that is something you DO NOT want to do in a film. it's embarrassing and just plain disrespectful of all that died. If there's one thing I HATE about a bad movie is if it leaves me feeling ashamed of Hollywood.