Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead Reviews

½ October 14, 2016
Didn't learn anything super new, but it was an interesting enough watch - although I think the juice detox is a little extreme the whole concept of micronutrients and eating more fruit + vegetables than anything else is very valid and more people should follow it.
August 3, 2016
A real life changer if you have the discipline.
July 31, 2016
The movie is actually quite accurate. Fresh vegetable meals juice meals are cheap comparative to the Junk food people eat. The energy levels in body are noticeably better with in 5-7 Days. Scientifically makes sense as modern cooked diet lacks the nutritional gains. The idea that the body is forced to use it's reserves of Fat makes complete sense considering the person , only took fresh vegetables and fruits so the body was forced to use its fat cell reserve naturally
January 31, 2016
Have you ever had a friend who discovers a new diet, and suddenly they're ALL about it? Every conversation you have with them turns to their diet, and they start judging your lifestyle and food choices? Take that and stretch it over 1 1/2 hours, and that's the experience of watching Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead.

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead is less a documentary and more a feature-length infomercial for juicing. Joe, the main character, decides to go on a 60-day cleanse, then proceeds to drive around the United States having condescending conversations with overweight Americans about their nutrition. There's a little bit of science thrown in for credibility sake, but that takes a hard backseat to the film's unchallenged claim that juicing is the revolution that mankind needs to be healthy.

The problem is, the film is no interest in addressing any of the criticisms of juicing, which most nutritionists think is pseudoscience at best and dangerous and detrimental to your health at worst . This film never mentions any doubts or critiques of the approach, it's sole intent is to sell you a product to the point where there is even an invitation in the credits to visit Joe's website to start your own Reboot (with a capital R).

If you want a documentary that tackles obesity with any sort of depth, skip this flick.
½ January 29, 2016
glad i got a juicer!
January 11, 2016
Slightly motivating, but after 90 minutes, I still don't really understand the difference between macronutrients and micronutrients, other than that micronutrients are better and are found in all of the foods I avoid.
½ September 7, 2015
It made me purchase a juicer.
July 22, 2015
I think it addresses a very real and important problem in America, and people should realize what they are doing to themselves by not taking responsibility for their eating habits.
July 13, 2015
Interesting movie with an important subject. Unfortunately, it seems that this guy's favourite subject is himself.....He comes across as self obsessed and unlikable....The whole thing about the overweight truck driver seems staged but trying to be genuine and tries hard to pull the sympathy heart strings....A wanabe Super Size Me....But go buy a juicer anyway.
June 30, 2015
This documentary is going to change a lot of lives for the better.
January 7, 2015
...for most of my adult life I've battled the FAT...not mine...the FAT LAZY OBESE....
January 7, 2015
Not informative, not entertaining, and not even in good taste. This "documentary" is nothing but self-promotion, self-aggrandizement and cynically commercial without offering any insight beyond "Americans eat poorly". However, if you enjoy chatting with people on a diet about how much fatter you are than them, or if you relish the awkwardness of seeing someone on a diet tell a man sitting next to his son at a greasy spoon diner that he'd rather be on a juice diet than die and abandon his children, then you might like this insufferable film. On the other hand, if you want to learn something other than how highly the filmmaker thinks of his own weight loss accomplishments, I would find almost anything else to watch.
September 23, 2014
A concept that sounded interesting but did not deliver on it's premise. Hardly any attention is given to the weight loss journey of the man at the centre of the documentary; too much time is spent on montages of vox pop questioning of Americans.
½ August 31, 2014
A pretty inspiring documentary, motivating those with weight and health problems to improve their lifestyles through fasting. Impressive results.
½ August 16, 2014
Really excellent film makes you think twice about your diet. I'm going to get a juicer good way of getting good stuff in your body.
July 22, 2014
This is it! Change your life forever.
May 31, 2014
I must admit that when i saw it i soaked up all the detail and thought about juicing because i am so fed up with myself. Well that never happened. It doesn't have to take a documentary to make you look at your own eating habits but I think perhaps it's good to be nudged in all the wrong places sometimes. What's good about this is that it's affable, as in, the style of presentation is not too sterile. I've since read about juicing and it seems a controversial subject which of course Joe Cross would not address for he now sells juicing paraphernalia....
May 24, 2014
Health Messages Galore Act As A Bit Of An Education Overload. The Will-Power Of Change On Show Is Incredibly Inspirational. The Idea Of Being 'Different', Going Against Junk-Food Addiction (A Massive Societal Problem) ..Improving Your Life, Is Just Common Sense.
May 24, 2014
Great documentary in the style of Super Size Me. Could have done with less of the cheesy animation but other than that well done. Made me want to go out and buy a juicer and definitely take a look at what I'm eating even though I don't need to lose weight. Australian Joe Cross is likable enough as we follow him on his 60 day cross America road trip and juice fast. He's trying to get off the meds, lose weight and get healthy again. Healing himself from the inside out. Along the way he meets and talks to random people. Where this really gets interesting is in the second half when Phil, the obese truck driver hits his bottom (or top weight) and phones Joe for help. We then follow him through his first weeks of a new lifestyle of exercise and juicing and you can't help but cheer him along.. The mindset in America regarding food is kinda horrifying. 5/15/14
May 24, 2014
Very inspirational. Even if you have no interest in fasting or juicing