Father Goose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Father Goose Reviews

June 18, 2016
I just watched this movie again. Cary Grant was the funniest Actor of All time. The Movie deserves a much higher rating.
½ September 6, 2015
Playing against type,this movie is all about Grant and he delivers but then again when has he not.
August 2, 2015
It's an odd movie but Carey Grant and Leslie Caron have terrific chemistry that makes this movie worth while
June 8, 2015
please get Carey Grant's movies
April 25, 2015
Absolutely one of my favorite Grant efforts, with the teaming with Leslie Caron nearly a perfect combination. The scene where he teaches her how to fish is so erotic, while still being playful, that I can't stand it. Grant is a misanthrope hiding from society on a Pacific island when he gets wrangled into contributing to the war effort. An accident hooks him up with Caron and her little charges, and ... well, it's just fun to watch.
½ January 20, 2015
An old fashion comedy, very funny.
January 18, 2015
Transgender Tyke Harry FTW!
½ December 12, 2014
The island adventure and a small boat ride is a combo of "Swiss Family Robinson" climbing aboard on "The African Queen." (Ironically, the two movies are currently neighbors in the Magic Kingdom).

Cary Grant (from "North by Northwest") serves as a reluctant host who's only interested in fishing and alone time with drinking. His character Walter Eckland gets tricked by an old friend Commander Frank Houghton (Trevor Howard) to stay on an island to keep in an eye on Japanese pilots flying above. (So basically Eckland was tricked into serving for WWII with no such interest on doing so).

The next-door island was the place where people had to stay in line, waiting for Grant's boat to show up. That's where Leslie Caron (from "Gigi" surprisingly) was as Frenchwoman Catherine Freneau with seven young schoolgirls under her care. The whole bundle was soon under Eckland's hold, making his situation more irritating when the personalities of the pair were different and he was soon stubbornly overpowered by Ms. Freneau with the help of her schoolgirls as her small, annoying young army. Now the old friends of Eckland and Houghton has their own wars to win. Except that the chemistry between Eckland and Freneau grows in a predictable fashion, at the same time gains more respect from the schoolgirls as the pair's hearts softens.

So at that point with that typical fashion, the boat ride turned into a battle of the sexes, then into a love boat with humor and the hosts having their moments of performing nicely to us slow riders. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with probably better wording)
June 25, 2014
Sad to say because Cary Grant is my ideal, but this goose lays an egg.
June 14, 2014
A cute and humorous movie with a simple, albeit thin storyline. Nice comedic chemistry between Grant and Caron.
½ March 6, 2014
Light fluff, but I really enjoyed it. I wish I had grown up with this movie, it's a great little family movie. I would have liked it a lot as a kid (and I didn't like that many older movies then). Pretty funny and charming, Trevor Howard is great, and Cary Grant is his usual awesome self. Leslie Caron does a decent job as well.
½ September 9, 2013
Cary Grant is well cast as the alcohol loving self centered bum, who ends up being a hero and supporting the children and their teacher who have crashed on the island, whilst rebuilding a damaged boat to get off the Island,The Japanese are poised to discover them, As per predicted he falls in love with the school teacher,but will they survive?
September 4, 2013
Quite a bore if you don't necessarily like Cary Grant.
April 15, 2013
I love how Cary Grant played against type here as he's such a curmudgeon and rather withdrawn and worn down. Much different than the suave-yet-silly character we often see him as. Leslie Caron turns in another enjoyable performance, proving that "Gigi" really is just a bad film--it has nothing to do with her ability.
½ March 17, 2013
Cary Grant as a drunken ne'er do well. It tanked at the time, but it's wonderfully fun. I love the opening song.
½ March 8, 2013
Humorous and delightful comedy starring the charming Cary Grant.
February 28, 2013
Me and my daughter enjoy watching this romantic comedy.
January 22, 2013
SOOO cute, u gotta feel bad for the guy tho.. all he wanted was his whiskey and that bitch was trying to change his shit lol
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.