Father Goose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Father Goose Reviews

October 11, 2012
Rec by doctordoom. Thanks Corey.
September 29, 2012
Take it for what it is, a fun, entertaining movie.
September 23, 2012
One of my alltime favs
½ August 16, 2012
Can not watch Cary Grant and NOT love this movie!!
May 19, 2012
If you love oldies. you got to see this one and Operation Pedicoat
April 6, 2012
This has a little comedy but it has great historical facts in it!!! Wonderful!!!!!!!!
½ April 3, 2012
A nice lazy afternoon film. Cary Grant plays his part very well (as usual) of a drunken sea bum on a desert island, ah that'd be the life.
½ February 25, 2012
An old fashion comedy, very funny.
½ January 24, 2012
Excellent film. Cary Grant not a typical role. Plays a role of a reclusive spotter in the Asia Pacific during WWII and informs the US and reports enemy aircraft. Until a boat load of school girls capsizes and ends up on the same island and changes his life, and not theirs. Very Funny.
½ January 19, 2012
½ October 21, 2011
Cary Grant playing the type of role Harrison Ford should do more of. A grumpy guy thrown into a bad situation. This movie is always watchable, and a great way to lift one's mood.
October 17, 2011
You gotta love Cary Grant!
½ September 17, 2011
SPOILER ALERT! I love cary grant, but this movie was just okay. leslie caron's character annoyed the crap out of me for most of the film, and the scene where she got drunk and loosened up a little wasn't enough to erase all the time previous to that in which she had been an insufferable goody two shoes. I mean come on-she wouldn't let him do anything at all; she kicked him out of his shelter so that it was even difficult for him to get the messages from the military (that was why he was there to begin with, and it was much more important than she and the kids' comfort); she took all his food, and she even had the kids go and steal everything else he owned that wasn't nailed down so that she could have it ALL, and he could have nothing. and the relationship between she and cary grant was not developed at all. they went from hating each other to suddenly getting married with barely any transition or character/relationship development at all. we are supposed to believe that ONE moment in which she got drunk and they shared personal information (they used that scene for a lOT of stuff)was enough to suddenly make them fall madly in love with each other? the marriage itself was immediately proceeded by a scene in which they were fighting and slapping each other. totally unbelievable. the performances by all of the girls though were great. loved, jenny, harry, and elizabeth.
July 21, 2011
It kills me that this delightful romantic comedy was not Cary Grant's swan song instead of the "bridge too far" that was Walk, Don't Run. He was simply fantastic in this as the boozed-up former history professor Walter Eckland caught up in the early chaos of the War in the Pacific. Though it's impossible for Grant to truly shed his innate elegance, he does "besotted" and "grungy" well enough for this. Leslie Caron is a hoot as the matron for a parcel of schoolgirls dropped in Grant's lap. The highlight for me, though, is Trevor Howard as Grant's Royal Navy overseer, who expertly manipulates the irascible Eckland and provides some of the funniest moments, even though the majority of his scenes are him in one room talking on the radio. If you can buy into the relationship arc between Grant and Caron, which culminates in a rather clumsy reversal, then the film will win you over. Get stuck on the admittedly precipitous leap and the rest will crumble before your eyes. I bought it, and gladly.
½ December 29, 2010
Fun, clean movie - any excuse to watch Cary Grant is a good one.
December 19, 2010
Totally decent fun. Most of it is situational comedy, so the characters don't really connect enough to make it anything memorable, but its unlikely you'll watch this and not enjoy yourself. Comedy Cary is the best, and its a pleasure to watch him shed an image that he rode for an entire career. How this screenplay ever won awards is totally beyond my capacity to understand, but as light fare perfectly suited for sick days or a happy afternoon this is easily recommendable.
½ December 11, 2010
Bad, but it has Cary Grant. Unfortunately, it also has Caron.
½ December 11, 2010
Gives me hearty chuckles like only an old movie can.

Walter: Frank!
Frank: Yes, Walter?
Walter: All those miles of open sea‚"a man would need something to keep warm, wouldn‚(TM)t he?
Frank: Two bottles.
Frank: Three.
Frank: Five.
(beat)
Frank: Got a pencil?

Walter: Slowly⦠s-s--
Catherine: Mr. Eckland, aren‚(TM)t we moving too slowly now?
Walter: Hmm?
Catherine: Shouldn‚(TM)t we...
Walter: Shouldn‚(TM)t we what?
Catherine: What?
Walter: You said ‚Shouldn‚(TM)t we.‚?
Catherine: Shouldn‚(TM)t we what?
Walter: Well, you‚(TM)ve got the hang of it, now.
Catherine: W-w-well, we didn‚(TM)t catch a fish!
Walter: I know, I know, that‚(TM)s right; We didn‚(TM)t. But you‚(TM)ve got the hang of it.
Catherine: You already said that.

Christine: You ninny!

Anne: It wasn‚(TM)t a snake; It was this.
Walter: But that‚(TM)s not a snake!
Anne: It looks like a snake.
Walter: That‚(TM)s not a snake.
Anne: Here, watch out for the thorns. [Walter grunts, having pricked himself.]
Walter: Thank you. It‚(TM)s not a snake.
Anne: It looks like a snake.
Walter: No, it doesn‚(TM)t‚¶ THIS LOOKS LIKE A SNAKE!

Walter: No I haven‚(TM)t. Yes, I have!
December 7, 2010
Watched this the other night. Grant's second to last movie before he retired. Very formulaic and predictable, but Grant can't miss. He was very funny and had great chemistry with Caron and the kids.
December 4, 2010
This is one of those movies where the lone bachelor is all of a sudden having to take care of some kids, and it doesn't do much to shake things up by way of theme, either. Grant gives an okay performance, but the movie's just okay.