Fatty Finn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fatty Finn Reviews

June 28, 2016
Hubert 'Fatty' Finn lives in a world that I remember as a kid, where there was real excitement and real danger round every corner. Its a charming world where children can have some control over their own destiny, and experience real life on their own terms. Its a life where the children aren't stifled by over protective parents, but can let their imaginations take them everywhere they want to go. Its a great adventure for children, but parents beware! You may see a different side to children!

If you enjoy this, try Petit Nicolas [DVD].
½ September 7, 2014
Definitely a interesting piece of Australian cinema - and certainly better than 'Ginger Meggs'! But still, it's basically a film about kids fighting - for no rhyme or reason! Sure, that's a thin plot about buying a radio to listen to Bradman play the Ashes (noble), but otherwise, it's just kids getting up to mischief and not too many laughs to really be had.
May 2, 2014
One of my childhood favorites!
½ January 20, 2014
I saw this film 31 years ago, and have been wanting to see it again.

Why can't Australia produce appealing kid's films nowadays? I'd vouch that Fatty Finn is still a better film than much of the dross that is dished up to younger audiences today.
December 14, 2012
this movie brings back memeories and puts a smile on my face it was my favourite movie as a child and i will always love it
January 22, 2011
Fatty Finn is one of those rare pieces of children's films that seem to have it all - a witty, positive, fat paced script, catching songs, real attitude and a hero everyone adores! Made in 1980 this has been a cult classic in some countries and it is great to see it finally on DVD in the UK. Fatty Finn is a ~10yr old schoolboy in 1930 Australia who is desperate to make some money so that he can buy his own wireless and listen to the cricket. In order to get there he has to 'use his enterprise' and his sheer imagination and boundless energy is what propels this film forward. Throw in a 'nasty neighbour' gang, a little love story, toad and goat races amongst others and you will get an idea of the movie.

This is a simple children's DVD and there are no worthwhile extras apart from a few still pictures. The sound and picture quality are average but this is not the point - just sit back and have fun - ideally together with your children!
December 14, 2010
This is a film based on the iconic Australian comic strip Fat and His Friends created by Syd Nicholls. It's also a remake of the 1927 Australian film The Kid Stakes based on the same comic strip.

It's about a boy named Hubert Finn AKA Fatty Finn (he's not actually fat though) whose the leader of his little gang who are always in dispute with an older boy Bruser Murphy and his gang. All Fatty wants at the moment is a crystal radio so he can listen to Don Bradman play in his test match (it's set in the 1930s) so he tries his hardest to raise the money before the game by doing odd jobs and gambling and all.

The story is predictable and contrived but I think we can excuse that seeing that it's a kids' movie and all. This would have entertained me when I was about 8 and it is passable as a children's entertainment but don't expect it to be one of those kids flicks that takes you on and emotional rollercoaster or makes you think about anything or offers anything at all for the adults unless you grew up reading Nicholls comic strip in which it may provide you with a few memories.

This is a very Australian film, not annoyingly so but hiliariously so either. It's laden with lame slap-stick humour for example, Bruser's girl and one of his cronies going flying and landing head first in the back of the "dunny truck," very Australian, very pre-1970s. It also features some costumes that I couldn't imagine anyone wearing even in the 1930s. There is also an appearance by Burt Newton (a man I'd like to punch in the face!) as Fatty's father and a few mildly amusing moments. And there was a girl who bared a creepy resemblance to Eva Ionesco :S

Overall this is a lame film, it's not unwatchable, but I wouldn't recommend it. 2 stars from me
½ July 9, 2010
Fatty Finn may be one of Australia's much loved
February 26, 2009
Interesting and funny kids movie. Love the hardships Fatty has to bear before he gets to his goal.
½ August 4, 2008
Haven't seen this movie for years!!!!!
April 12, 2008
Watched this in primary school, liked it when I was a kid, but haven't seen it since.
March 21, 2008
Definitely remember this! Very funny.
March 8, 2008
This is the best kids movie, ever!
½ January 21, 2008
a movie i love from my youth