Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Reviews

February 8, 2016
I honestly don't know what to make of this, but given from this insane film leaving me with no feeling and wondering, "What just happened?" I'll do my best to review it. Johnny Depp and Bencio Del Toro give out some fantastic performances, and their chemistry is really great. It's interesting how crazy and more crazy it can get, and the effects during the drug scenes look really good and they are definitely in a Gilliam style. The characters are repulsive, but enjoyable at the same time. There are some funny parts in it, but there were a lot of moments that I wasn't really sure if it was suppose to be funny. The plot is just there, like it's only about two crazy guys going to different places, doing crazy things. After finishing it, I was pretty much like, "Ok, so that just happened." I enjoy it I guess, and it was pretty much a trippy trip. When Terry Gilliam aid that he wanted Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to be one of the best films, but also one of the worst ones, I can see that, and it turn out to be more of the middle, but towards the positive.
February 5, 2016
A thoroughly joyless experience. For the first hour of the film, it exudes such manic energy as to become monotonous. Depp and Del Toro deliver their worst performances in what must be the worst film they've ever been in. I know for damn sure that it's the worst Terry Gilliam film I've seen (including "Tideland"). This movie is consistently irritating, painfully monotonous and unfunny. I hate it.
½ January 30, 2016
This film fell far short of the book.Everything came across as a bit forced. Terry Gilliam was the wrong director for this movie.
January 15, 2016
I mean what can I say, A possibly great adaptation of a book I've never read. It stands alone in my opinion when I think about the awesome team Depp and Del Toro made and why haven't seen them together more often. Maybe if they could blend a once upon a time in Mexico and Sicario idea together. Dope. One of my top 5 favorite quotes is from this movie.
½ December 3, 2015
Even Johnny Depp has some pure duds. Sure, Hunter S. Thompson is a strange interesting character in pop culture. Interesting enough to make a movie about ? Not really. For the person who dips and dabbles in psychedelic drugs maybe this movie can be somewhat interesting, IF you happen to be on said drugs at the time of watching this movie. For the average movie watcher though, this is nothing but an abnormal waste of time. Maybe its just me, but watching a feature length film about a bunch of people on a full blown acid trip the entire film is not just annoying, but downright stupid. And I don't even think a different group of actors or writers could have made this movie any better. I think a documentary about Hunter S. Thompson would be sufficient to tell his story. I understand the concept of the movie, pretty much taking you into the mind of someone who is completely strung out on drugs. But the entire movie? come on, it is a bit much if you ask me. Fear and Loathing in the end makes no sense at all. Watching other people trip out on acid is not fascinating at all, especially if you are not tripping out on acid yourself. Its like being a party where everyone is drinking and having a good time and you are sitting in the corner by yourself playing on your phone because you are the designated driver. Sure being the DD is admirable, and there should always be on available, but lets be totally honest, its zero fun. Which is the same with this movie. Johnny Depp has always picked different roles obviously, and a lot of them he has really missed on, and this was one of them.
November 30, 2015
November 30, 2015
Depp Doing his best Nicolas Cage (and that's not a good thing). Visually nice, but that's about it.
November 17, 2015
Revolutionary in its ultra-creative cinematography that depicts the effects of LSD and other mind-bending drugs.
November 1, 2015
If I had seen this in theaters, I may have been tempted to walk out. The soundtrack was the only saving grace.
October 16, 2015
I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS
September 18, 2015
-IGNORE THIS "OUT OF FIVE" RATING
1/4
Agonizing film version of Hunter S. Thomas much loved book about two buddies and their crazy trip to Vegas. Has a unique visual look, but this movie just goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on. Depp gives a strictly one-note performance and holds a cigarette in his mouth the entire time in this never ending acid trip; you have been warned.
September 18, 2015
Just two guys acting trippy for two hours straight without any story line
September 16, 2015
Such a good movie, well directed, you feel as if you're going through the same trip they are
½ September 7, 2015
A psychotic film, crudely put. Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas is a nightmare that rivals the best of them. It's also a bit of a mixed bag. First and foremost, the visuals in this movie are stunning and ambitious to say the least. In fact, the overwhelming visuals are what hold the film back, because their sheer bravado makes everything else fall by the wayside. Fear And Loathing tries to say something about the failure and excess of the American "dream" and way of life but the visuals do not allow that to be properly communicated. Depp and Del Toro act as the guides in the freakish trip and they are a sight to behold. Depp gives his character a wiry, laid back aura while Del Toro makes his character larger than life and, at times, deeply disturbing. Overall, I'd say Fear And Loathing was a trip worth taking but I'm not sure I got anything from it. A second viewing is certainly needed.
September 7, 2015
Weird. Funny in places
August 30, 2015
Completely pointless. Started nowhere, and ended up much the same. I'll admit, the trips were creative and well done, but without any real direction or reason, it was hard to figure out why I was supposed to care about two drugged-out assholes wrecking hotel rooms.
August 22, 2015
With a bit of luck, it'll ruin your life forever
August 11, 2015
This is so unwatchable, tasteless, and ugly that it works.
½ August 7, 2015
A strange movie, really well made. With stylized camerawork and set design. This is a movie that's complete surrealism with a layer of social commentary. Oh and don't do drugs
½ July 30, 2015
a clockwork orange was so much easier to understand than this movie.