Fear of a Black Hat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fear of a Black Hat Reviews

November 24, 2010
nice interpretation of the orig. group NWA
August 15, 2010
This movie so funny lol. Love it.
May 30, 2010
funny as shit. great stuff, even if it is a copy of spinal tap
April 16, 2010
Spinal Tap for gansta rap. Lots of rap jokes and spoofs................
March 16, 2010
nice interpretation of the orig. group NWA
March 15, 2010
A spot-on parody of hip hop music from the 1980s and 1990s. Worth seeking out.
December 31, 2009
Not as funny as CB4 and it's lower budget works against it but still fun to watch.
½ October 11, 2009
The Greatest Mockumentary Ever Made Tells The Story Of N****s Wit Hats or N.W.H! The Rise & Fall Of Their Careers As A Group & Solo Artists Is One Of The Most Hilarious Storys Ever Told!!!
August 29, 2009
"spinal tap for hip-hop", they said. "excellent parody", they said.

my response: this is ok...there was so much more that could've been done.
August 21, 2009
"It's our civic duty to pound that booty."
½ August 20, 2009
What's up! NWH in da house...diggbare de musikkvideoene ha ha...I sing song! I sing song! yeah...
August 18, 2009
If you like Spinal Tap, you'll dig this. It's really quotable too.
August 15, 2009
To objectively critique Fear of A Black Hat is simply to ask why this isn't regarded as one of the best comedies of all time. Most obviously is the originality demerits that come with being produced a decade after Spinal Tap. Still, even in its imitation it is brilliantly original, filled with nonstop laughs stemming from the sheer outlandishness of NWH (Niggas With Hats) and the society that produced them. The film could be a lot heavier with the cultural commentary, only dabbling lightly in a wide variety of controversial issues for laughs rather than to make any truly bold statements. It can also be argued that the characters similarity to real life rappers is too blatant, and somewhat cheap (Flava Flav is Tasty Taste, Ice Cube is Ice Cold, etc). Really, it has very few shortcomings. I'm assuming the marketing for this film was terrible, and I hope that one day this will be recognized as the deliciously entertaining film that it is.
August 13, 2009
if u like crude humor this is a movie for u
August 10, 2009
Another faux documentary following N.W.H. Wasn't sure what to expect, but it was actually quite funny. A great satire about the rap scene of the early 90s.
August 5, 2009
Better than Spinal Tap.
July 29, 2009
Next to Harlem Nights and Coming to America Fear is the funniest movie I've seen. Even better than the same type movie CB4... sorry Chris Rock, still love ya.
½ July 16, 2009
Thanks to Spinal Tap...one of the best cult comedies in existence
July 3, 2009
love this movie. i still have it on vhs. if you dont like it your a hater.
½ June 30, 2009
A comical mock documentary about an old skewl rap group's rise to success. While the group is NWA, (Niggas With Hats,) it mostly lampoons Ice Cube, Flava Flav and KRS-One( maybe with tints of Dr Dre?) the latter two being from PUBLIC ENEMY, which is kind of a weak characterization of what could have been a purely NWA lampooning. There are a lot of funny jokes, but a lot of weak and slowly paced content between them. The joke songs are mostly forgettable due to weak lyrical writing and even weaker musical scoring -- only the Pooh song remains in memory. I'm not sure who the 'Jam Boys' are making fun of. The movie obviously is trying to be a gangster rap version of Spinal Tap, but it definitely pales in comparison in all ways. Chris Rock's movie, CB4 does a much better parody on NWA, while Gangsta Rap: The Glockumentary does a much better job at producing a This is Spinal Tap companion film.