Angst Essen Seele auf (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angst Essen Seele auf (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul) Reviews

½ September 29, 2014
Realistic, heart felt and surprisingly unsentimental. Uncomfortable and close to perfect. Brigitte Mira gave the best performance of 1974.
½ September 15, 2014
A spare production and a beautifully composed film examining loneliness; different ways of valuing relationships; bigotry, tolerance, and acceptance; and, in very interesting ways, how people can be pushed together or pulled apart by the rejection or acceptance of those around them.
½ July 22, 2014
it was an interesting, sad, oddly realistic film. i liked the contrast between the film's visual style and content - fassibinder took a sirk-esque visual style (pastel colour-schemes, bright flat lighting, framed, claustrophobic spaces) which are often associated with melodramas, to tell a very real story. on the surface the plot of this film seems just as convoluted as any of sirk's melodramas, but at a deeper level reveals a lot about human nature and shows us why real people do things that seem crazy to the rest of the world.
April 18, 2014
A great film by Fassbinder.
½ March 16, 2014
A movie filmed this quickly can usually only go one of two ways. Either it ends up an unbridled, underdeveloped mess. Or it ends up cutting through all the bullshit and making something stripped down, even raw. Ali easily fits into the latter. Keeping to a simplistic story of love and perseverance Fassbinder is able to keep things honest. I can't wait to see more of the man's work.
½ February 19, 2014
I couldnt stand this film. I didnt like the acting nor the editing. I just think they could have done a better job with casting especially when casting Emmi. I did think the story was good.
½ February 11, 2014
A lonely white widow & a robust moroccan immigrant make an unlikely love in this touching film that focuses on racism & ageism ever prevalent in society. Love is beautiful, man.
½ January 11, 2014
I want to add that Fassbinder was a great admirer of Sirk and was Corresponding with him. "Ali" was Fassbinder's artistic response to Sirk's "All That Heaven Allows." There is a great interview of Sirk where he speaks about their relationship. I believe it's on the Criterion edition of Sirk's "Written on The Wind." Sirk was impressed by the way Fassbinder, the film critic, identified Sirk's unique use of lighting. He was not as pessimistic about human nature as Fassbinder, especially after he came to America and experienced American hospitality. He urged Fassbinder to come to the U.S, but he never made the trip. I agree with one film critic who called "Ali" Fassbinder's most tender film.
½ December 24, 2013
One of the saddest movies I've ever seen.
December 8, 2013
tale of cultural and racial discrimination decades ahead of its time
November 18, 2013
Although Fassbinder made this frank drama about racial prejudices and social relations in 1970s Germany, the themes are universal. Fear Eats the Soul has a number of scenes of real dramatic power, however it never quite reaches the masterpiece status that many have ascribed to it.
November 9, 2013
another winner from him
October 29, 2013
Interesting piece of filmmaking that is very much from its time.
October 11, 2013
It shows the stresses racism has on relationships and life itself. It's full of simplistic acting and too many long shots through doors, but the realism of dealing with such prejudice makes this an important watch.
September 5, 2013
Ali deftly explores human selfishness and racial and social prejudice, it's thematic relevance still strong to this day.
August 26, 2013
It's a very bizarre film, but it's a strong statement about prejudice in relationships and people trapped in stasis of their own lives.
April 21, 2013
Important and timeless topic, but as a movie - not very memorable.
April 12, 2013
Sirk is still another level
March 19, 2013
True love is sometimes not accepted. This movie is perfect to show how love beetween an old woman and a young man can be bad seen. It was realistic and beautiful. Even though there's some bad parts in terms of acting
½ March 14, 2013
a quirky, weird, yet oddly funny movie. worth a watch