Angst Essen Seele auf (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angst Essen Seele auf (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul) Reviews

April 18, 2014
A great film by Fassbinder.
½ March 16, 2014
A movie filmed this quickly can usually only go one of two ways. Either it ends up an unbridled, underdeveloped mess. Or it ends up cutting through all the bullshit and making something stripped down, even raw. Ali easily fits into the latter. Keeping to a simplistic story of love and perseverance Fassbinder is able to keep things honest. I can't wait to see more of the man's work.
½ February 19, 2014
I couldnt stand this film. I didnt like the acting nor the editing. I just think they could have done a better job with casting especially when casting Emmi. I did think the story was good.
½ February 11, 2014
A lonely white widow & a robust moroccan immigrant make an unlikely love in this touching film that focuses on racism & ageism ever prevalent in society. Love is beautiful, man.
½ January 11, 2014
I want to add that Fassbinder was a great admirer of Sirk and was Corresponding with him. "Ali" was Fassbinder's artistic response to Sirk's "All That Heaven Allows." There is a great interview of Sirk where he speaks about their relationship. I believe it's on the Criterion edition of Sirk's "Written on The Wind." Sirk was impressed by the way Fassbinder, the film critic, identified Sirk's unique use of lighting. He was not as pessimistic about human nature as Fassbinder, especially after he came to America and experienced American hospitality. He urged Fassbinder to come to the U.S, but he never made the trip. I agree with one film critic who called "Ali" Fassbinder's most tender film.
½ December 24, 2013
One of the saddest movies I've ever seen.
December 8, 2013
tale of cultural and racial discrimination decades ahead of its time
November 18, 2013
Although Fassbinder made this frank drama about racial prejudices and social relations in 1970s Germany, the themes are universal. Fear Eats the Soul has a number of scenes of real dramatic power, however it never quite reaches the masterpiece status that many have ascribed to it.
November 9, 2013
another winner from him
October 29, 2013
Interesting piece of filmmaking that is very much from its time.
October 11, 2013
It shows the stresses racism has on relationships and life itself. It's full of simplistic acting and too many long shots through doors, but the realism of dealing with such prejudice makes this an important watch.
September 5, 2013
Ali deftly explores human selfishness and racial and social prejudice, it's thematic relevance still strong to this day.
August 26, 2013
It's a very bizarre film, but it's a strong statement about prejudice in relationships and people trapped in stasis of their own lives.
April 21, 2013
Important and timeless topic, but as a movie - not very memorable.
April 12, 2013
Sirk is still another level
March 19, 2013
True love is sometimes not accepted. This movie is perfect to show how love beetween an old woman and a young man can be bad seen. It was realistic and beautiful. Even though there's some bad parts in terms of acting
½ March 14, 2013
a quirky, weird, yet oddly funny movie. worth a watch
½ March 10, 2013
This is my introduction to Fassibender and I will be watching more of his films. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul revolves around a romance between an elderly widow and an Arab foreign worker. It's filmed and set in Germany. Much like interracial marriages were looked at in the US it was frowned upon. The story is simplistic, the film never moves out of a realistic view point. While the ideas were depressing I never actually felt any emotion. I don't know why, the acting was genuine enough, and the story had me gripped. Even during the family meeting I didn't feel anything, emotionally I wasn't present. While I liked what the ending thirty minutes did, I don't think it was executed perfectly. It was to sudden, I wouldn't have minded an additional thirty minutes of footage to make it more evened out. This is still a phenomenal film considering how little it revolves around. Tension was always boiling, and the story had me gripped. You don't have to be adventurous to enjoy this, so I recommend it to everyone.
3.5 stars+
½ February 18, 2013
While the ending is somewhat different from similar films, this movie covers the same material that I feel "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" and "Harold and Maude" have done better. In fact, I felt there should have been more complexity involved with the fact that he was 20 years younger than her, or at least there should have been a bigger dramatic moment to convince everyone to be tolerant instead of the gradual "meh" that everyone seemed to get to at the same time.
February 16, 2013
One of Fassbinder's most famous works. Here he tells the unlikely and uncomfortable love story between an elderly German lady and a black immigrant. This is a mature movie for a mature audience. Never sugar coating its uncomfortable subjects and subject matter and reflecting upon the prejudice of everyday German life. The film looks wonderful in the traditionally colourful compelling style of the renowned German filmmaker.