Jet Li's Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia) (Legend of a Fighter) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jet Li's Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia) (Legend of a Fighter) Reviews

July 12, 2014
one of my FAVORITE movies. Definitely in my Top Ten!
½ July 3, 2014
So much more than a martial arts film, although it is a superb one of that genre too. This film has it all--gorgeous cinematography of the beauty of China, wonderful combat scenes that to my mind are much better than the Crouching Tiger school, because they are much more believable, but foremost a redemptive journey through life to discover the true meaning of honor and the senselessness of violence, revenge and winning without honor at any price. A great film all around.
June 26, 2014
A simple and moving tribute to martial arts, Huo Yuanjia, and on some level, Jet Li's wuxia career.
½ May 26, 2014
"Fearless" is one of Jet Lis best movies so far. Good action, good story, good message. The cinematography was excellent and the scenary beatiful, the fighting scenes were well done. Love everything of what this movie show you and it doesn't stops until the end. So for this being a good way for Jet Li to be his final film, I give "Jet Li's Fearless"a B-.
½ May 21, 2014
I really liked the story and it had plenty of good fighting moves
May 16, 2014
I enjoyed this movie a lot. The acting of course is great. The fight choreography like always Jet li doesn't disappoint. And the story of redemption really credible. Really enjoyable movie.
May 5, 2014
Not what I expected, this is actually a biopic, although it's more a hagiography by western standards and, in the Eastern tradition, mythologises a real person's life. Still, the fights are impressive, the scenery's breathtaking and Li is as watchable as always.
½ April 24, 2014
Some great fight scenes and cinematography. Gives you a little glimpse into Chinese history.
½ April 14, 2014
In my opinion Jet Li's best film. Besides the awesome action scenes, it contained bold drama moments and good acting.
March 3, 2014
the ending was tragic as well as touching...
February 23, 2014
Love it. Action pack
February 9, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie it's so much more than an marital art film it centers around Li's character who is a young & arrogant marital art master, until a tragic event takes place leaving his life meaningless as he begins to find meaning he learns a lot & changes completey, he realises he was wrong & makes amends with his past actions to become a man of great understanding & wisdom. A lot of life lessons can be learned from this one.
February 8, 2014
jeezus. What a freaking propaganda film. I fear for what the united states may become in the future but damn, i really fear for the world if china gains ascendancy. Dear god, what a hive mind, what a lack of concern for the individual.
½ January 26, 2014
Nothing compared to IP MAN.
½ January 10, 2014
i thought it was a really good movie with a good story and some good action scenes
½ January 9, 2014
i love this movie so much!
½ January 5, 2014
As a kid, Fearless was the single greatest martial arts film I had ever seen. So the director cut edition on Blu Ray is a spectacle that I could not miss.

Fearless is one of the single greatest martial arts films I have ever seen by any scale, because as well as being an awesome action packed experience, it's an enlightening journey about the art of wushu.
The directors cut of Fearless is superior to the theatrical version because it is a lot more spiritual than the aforementioned version as within its extra 40 minutes it conveys more of the life changing aspects that made Huo Yuanjia develop as a human being. Even though the story doesn't focus much on answering who he is aside from being a fearless warrior, it does reveal what it is to be a master of the martial arts. So it's an educational experience and an enlightening film.
But it's also an unforgettable visual experience. Fearless has some immaculately choreographed action scenes which go on for extensive periods of time. With only a touch of CGI, the fight scenes entertain viewers while filling them with tension and a lack of predictability for what could come next. Fearless had some of the best fights you could see on film and they are all unforgettable sights which are shot as well as they are choreographed and edited perfectly just as the sound effects and musical score is.
Really, Fearless combines a powerful story with some incredible action and makes it a powerful experience. One example is that the scene in which Huo Yuanjia stops Hercules O'Brien from dying in the battle between the two and expresses a sense of honourable greatfullness is one of the most iconic images I've ever seen in Martial Arts cinematic history. This is because as a person who has trained in martial arts for 7 years I know the meaning of honour within fight, and when Hercules O'Brien accepts the futility of his life and the fact that it is not a trivial thing to someone like Huo Yuanjia it is truly a strong character development moment, even though it's brief. It's a scene I admire for its sense of honour, and it reflects the positive nature of the entire film. There is just so much life in Fearless, and had I not seen Fearless before years ago and known of its plot, I would have cried at its end.
And like a great martial arts film deserves, Fearless has a strongly talented cast.
Jet Li completely storms the role of Huo Yuanjia. Even though Fearless is supposedly historically inaccurate and the film is more about his life regarding wushu than him as a person, Jet Li gives it the best talent he can offer as an actor and fully dominates the screen with his acting talent and skill as a martial artist constantly. He never let's viewers down, and he really convinces everybody that he truly is fearless. His character development is at an all time strong in Fearless.
Dong Yong also supplied a strong supporting role and played a pivotal role in proving Jet Li's talent for creating a strong chemistry between actors, and he does a good job himself.
Nakamura Shido II played a good part in the film's climax by giving a dominating performance and putting up a hell of a fight.
Nathan Jones also put up a great fight in his role and delivered his few lines with a graceful strength.

So Ronny Yu and Jet Li give it their all in Fearless, and the result is a powerful visual experience which teaches of honour in Wushu.
½ January 2, 2014
Couldnt understand (08) OWN DVD
December 30, 2013
a fantastic movie, with lots of action and a great life lesson.
½ December 29, 2013
This is without a doubt one of my favorite Jet Li movies. I've watched his films since I was little, but I just really liked the way Jet's character evolves throughout the film, the way he learns more about martial arts and about himself. The fights are choreographed wonderfully, as always, and a compelling performance from Sun Li (love her) certainly didn't hurt, either.