Female Prisoner #701 - Scorpion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Female Prisoner #701 - Scorpion Reviews

July 22, 2016
Quality chicks ' n chains/revenge thriller. The screws are really nasty cunts and the inmates are just as savage. The solitary confinement scene with the boiling soup is genius. Matsu in her black dress and hat is one of my favourite images in cinema. A nasty and brutal revenge flick.
June 14, 2016
This documentary out of the early '70s is a perverse and fascinating look at the Japanese criminal justice system. We get an inside look of a female prison through the eyes of Nami "Matsu" Matsushima, a young woman set up by her boyfriend, a corrupt cop, in a yakuza sting operation. The women in the prison are cruelly abused at the hands of perverted male guards and sadistic female trusties. The filmmakers follow Matsu after her escape from prison, and document how through great personal sacrifice she is able to ensure her ex-boyfriend gets the punishment he deserves. Very good watch.
½ September 11, 2015
A generic women in prison plot, but with a likable protagonist and great, unique visuals, this movie stands out among other movies of this nature. The ending is very rushed and anticlimactic, but that doesn't detract from a fairly enjoyable and memorable exploitation movie.
½ January 30, 2014
Vintage. Can't beat a bit of 70's Japanese sexploitation!
January 7, 2014
This was my first Meiko Kaji film. My only other encounters with any of her work were her songs that were featured in the Kill Bill films before I learned more about both her music career and her career as an actress which made me curious to see more of her work. Needless to say, I was impressed when I ventured into her career paths. Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion is a trashy, but stylish revenge film/female prison drama. Some might even call it immoral because of its content involving brutal violence and some rather gratuitous sexual content for good measure. However, I love revenge films, and I found this film to be a superb example of how well a revenge film can be made and acted. It's well written, features excellent acting, dark humor, sex scenes and nudity, nasty violence, beautiful visuals, kick-ass 70's music, and solid direction. It's pure 70's exploitation goodness and I loved every minute of it. If you enjoy a 70's flick from the seedy underbelly of the era, this is one to definitely check out.
December 22, 2013
A great deal of the movie is digging with shovels. What is this? "Holes"!? These aren't the holes I was hoping to see, ladies! To make things worse, the whole time they are in long dresses. I guess yoga shorts and sports bras didn't exist back then. There are some boobs in the requisite shower scenes, I particularly like the creative naked obstacle course in the beginning. It's a milestone, but "Japanese exploitation at its best" depends on how much you enjoy women in prison movies. Personally, I prefer "Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs". Still, it's a must-see for those studying 1970's Japanese exploitation.
½ January 23, 2013
She's like an evil lesbian James Bond! I love it!
January 1, 2013
I am now a Meiko Kaji fan! this was my first taste in this particular exploitation sub genre. Awesome visuals and action as well as some intense and brutal scenes. I really enjoyed this film and will defiantly be checking out the sequels and other Meiko Kaji films.
September 22, 2011
For those who love grittiness, bad-ass women, classic films and japanese cinema, this film if for you. Meiko Kaji provides and amazing soundtrack and lead performance to which can only be appreciated by asian cinema lovers.
June 10, 2011
A fetching Japanese woman, Nami falls in love and dedicates her existence and virginity to the policeman of her dreams, Sugimi. Sounds nice so far, what could go wrong? Unfortunately, she is a bad judge of character, and after agreeing to go undercover and infiltrate the Yakuza for a marijuana bust, turns out the suave and confident Sugimi was just using Nami to further his police career as he tips her a handful of Yen for getting gang raped. Unlike forgetting an anniversary or not noticing a new hair style, Sugimi's thoughtless treatment is unforgivable. After a failed stabbing attempt, Nami finds herself in a Japanese prison, seething and bent on revenge. From there the story takes one violent turn after another. While this movie was made in the 70's, the storyline, acting and dialogue are still relevant. Only drawbacks may be the out-dated special effects and three-stoogish sounds. A woman's scorn may be timeless. There are some great scenes that are as funny as they are memorable. Definitely worth a watch for those interested in Japanese thrillers, Japanese babies nursing, or lovers of redemption through vengeance films.
½ April 3, 2011
up in the air about how I felt about this one, felt that the revenge part was exceedingly rushed. pretty much reminded me a lot of I spit on your grave/day of the woman
February 15, 2011
Arthouse exploitation Japanese Style.****
November 20, 2010
Violent and full of T 'n' A revenge flick with a slight under current of humour, an entertaining watch.
November 11, 2010
Excellent exploitation film in the genre of "don't fuck with this bitch". Incredibly enjoyable watch and an obvious influence for Tarantino's later work.
½ October 31, 2010
Bwaha adored this sooo much xD
October 8, 2010
If I only had the power to turn back the time.
ScoopOnline
October 4, 2010
I dont know if there are Flixster Engineers who are missusing their position (which wont surprise me much because I had that pleasure of stories to hear) and create tension for users or some Crackers (Wanna be Hackers) who keep login in to users accounts. I guess Internet is a modern life.
No thanks not for me. I still appreciate the Beautiful & real world with real people outside. lol
No offend against people who love Internet.

Well anyway this Movie suddenly appeared under my "recent reviews" with a comment "very weird movie" that was rated 3 and yet I never heard of this Movie before till I saw it appeared on my profile from no where. lol
Not that as if it happened for the first time.
Just beginning to wonder what brings to create tension?
September 27, 2010
Meiko Kaji (Scorpion) has a truly creepy aura. Without her, this film would be junk. I've never seen hatred and bitterness portrayed so well by an actor. It comes through in every glazed stare, and it makes this film one of the better revenge flicks that I've ever seen. This is one sadistic film! It's both physically and mentally draining to watch. The plot in the middle of the film meanders a bit, but the ending makes up for any deficiencies. Watch at your own risk. :)
½ September 27, 2010
A Japanese exploitation film about a wrongly-imprisoned woman who is consumed by her desire to escape to have her revenge on those her put her there. The people that put her in prison, including the Yakuza, want to ensure she has a bad time there. After one of her escape attempts the entire populace is punished, so it easy to turn everyone against her. A lot of digging of holes and yellow boobies. A lesbian scene, a rape scene, fighting and some goriness, typical for films from this time and place. The story as a revenge flick is not that compelling (and I think a certain director took many of his ideas for a certain two-part film from this).