Female Trouble - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Female Trouble Reviews

½ January 7, 2013
Edith Massey is so hot in this movie!
December 28, 2012
LOVED DIVINE IN THIS ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT MOVIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cosmo313
December 11, 2012
Wanted to see more of Waters's work
½ November 19, 2012
divine is grotesquely divine
½ September 26, 2012
My fave Waters film, and has an almost classic storyline (for Waters anyways). Crude and disgusting in the best way possible, and Divine's finest work. The skidmark scene will have you hurling.
August 27, 2012
This movie's assault on decency is breathtakingly relentless.
½ July 25, 2012
I found it funnier than Desperate Living and a little more weird. Probably because Divine makes everything better.
June 1, 2012
A hysterically campy satire on the shallow wold of beauty and fashion as well as the excessive glamorization of crime is as relevant today as it is now and it's filled with the kind of charactors and dialogue only John Waters could even come up with (witch might be a good thing. Tee-hee!). JW also wrote the theme-song (which is sung by Divine).
May 23, 2012
freaking LOVE this movie!!!!
May 20, 2012
Funny, strange and weird love John Waters!!
½ May 4, 2012
Director John Waters has always been known for pushing the boundaries in films like "Polyester", but before all that he made several truly underground films that were highly experimental and got away with murder. The first of those movies was "Female Trouble", and this is one film that should have stayed under ground.

I'm all about films that push the limits, but I had abandoned all hope for this at the ten minute mark. Before that I was with this all the way, but it makes a wrong turn and never recovers. This is bleak, annoying and hard to watch for most of its running time. In fact, I can't see this picture appealing to anyone outside of Waters' hardcore homosexual following.

I've never wanted to be a member of the mainstream movie-going public until I saw this revolting renegade picture. It's obviously meant to be high camp, but it's never funny and very unappealing. It's hard to imagine the attempted rape of a fourteen year old to work in any kind of film, but it's especially distasteful in an alleged comedy such as this.

Divine is an actor/actress that only the gay community could adore. For the rest of us, there is no appeal. He's like a relative that tells racist, offensive jokes over the holidays that you can't get rid of. In fact, there's no character or performer in this that you like or can relate to in any way, shape or form. Waters may have started his cult following with "Female Trouble", but it didn't gain him any ground with me. This is a shameful, embarrassing and appalling film. Having an open mind won't make this any easier to swallow.
April 27, 2012
Ugh, at points this is just so bad it's good. I guess I just don't understand where all the praise is coming from. It's just so ridiculously bad that it's funny sometimes, as opposed to being so ridiculously bad that it's making a point. I suppose I don't understand John Waters' genius through this.
April 17, 2012
If you watched Pink Flamingos and found something you liked you can do little better than watch more of The Dreamlanders shenanigans in the more easily palatable Female Trouble.

Much of the familiar cast are back as they tackle a tale of rebellion against conformity with heavy social commentary all wrapped up in glossy farce. Divine is loud and proud as a single mother to a bratty child whose life centers around the local hair salon. Shock value elements have been replaced with stronger satire and much of the language toned down, making the material more accessible.

Highly enjoyable for us fans, but will leave the mainstream confused and slightly revulsed.
March 19, 2012
Watched this with Meleah tonight. She didn't like it at all, but it remains one of my all-time favorites. Mink Stole is wonderful as Taffy!
March 16, 2012
john waters best film by far
½ March 5, 2012
The most hilariously delusional character in one of the most twisted and darkest comedies of all time.

"All of you, can't you see what you are doing? Worshiping the flesh and ignoring the spiritual. Oh, if only you could see the light. Discovering my consciousness was like finding a million dollars in the street! I'm glowing with happiness!"
"Well, glow on then, Taffy, because the sight of you makes my flesh crawl! I'm sick of listening to you babble commandments and spout gibberish. Its turning my stomach, do you hear? And in just a few seconds I'm going to put you out of your happiness!"
January 4, 2012
Its twisted, its insane, its frikin awesome!!:D
½ December 25, 2011
Otra de las "obras maestras" del rey del trash John Waters. El humor m√°s negro, vulgar y exc√ (C)ntrico que puede encontrarse en el cine. Una peli que no deja de sorprender y de divertir ning√ļn momento.
August 14, 2011
Zseniális Waters klasszikus! Divine törtà (C)netà (C)n keresztà 1/4l átà (C)rezhetjà 1/4k a pubertás kori lázadások következmà (C)nyeit, a rosszul sikerà 1/4lt házasság bà (C)klyóját à (C)s a hírnà (C)v okozta nehà (C)z tervet. Edith Massey mà (C)g magához kà (C)pest is gusztustalan, de à (C)n pont ezà (C)rt imádom.
July 1, 2011
It was when i had a celebrity crush on a younger Mink Stole was when I finished this movie.
I had low-ish hopes for this movie, until I saw it. I actually like this movie a lot and it was a great opening to the world of John Waters. And Divine was Divine.