Festival Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Festival Express Reviews

June 29, 2015
I loved the music and the nostalgic aspect of this film.Tragic in as you can see how oh so tired Joplin seemed not long before her end,
½ December 7, 2013
one of the finest concert movies from the 70s great music and 70s vibe !
June 13, 2013
Never a dull moment on two fun-packed discs. The only traveling festival ever was both a massive failure and a massive success. This, BTW started just 5 weeks after my first Dead show. Owned.
½ August 22, 2012
I had never heard of this festival tour until I saw the DVD for sale at my local DVD shop. I bought it on instinct, pessimistically expecting a low-budget, partly black-and-white montage with too many stills, but was fortunately captivated by this great, fly-on-the-wall look at what has to be one of the most exciting tours in history. It's all in colour, and there is also amazing sound; somewhat a necessity for capturing the on-stage performances of the great American bands of the time. Moreover, there's a large amount of bonus material, including concert footage of some of the lesser known artists who had the opportunity of a lifetime to play on the same bill as Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead and the Band, as well as jam with them on this rail-trip of a lifetime.
May 13, 2012
trip out and flashback, man. this movie is far out. i wish i was there.
April 7, 2012
Some really good conert footage and behind the scenes of some of the top bands of the 60's and 70's.
December 9, 2011
A rock gem of a movie. Classic.
October 19, 2011
Like my mate said, wrap yourself up warm and enjoy the ride aboard the festival express. As I was quite ignorant of the genius of Janis Joplin previous to this, it was quite a treasured moment when she appears on stage for the first time and belts out 'cry baby' with astonishing emotion and vigour. All the more tragic when you think she died three months later. At the end, just before she plays the last song with the great Jerry Garcia, she presents the two organisers with a model of the train, 'to always remember the journey', and a crate of tequila, 'to continue the journey'. I don't know but that moment was quite chilling when you think about it. But a great rockumentary nevertheless.
August 5, 2011
This is up there with The Last Waltz..... that is the highest possible recommendation I can give this treasure of a rock documentary. I had goose bumps during several of the performances.....and what a concept. 'Woodstock was for the audience. This is for the artists'. Like Last Waltz and Woodstock its everything that the late sixties aspired to be all bunched into one awesome train ride. Its about 3 months before Janis death and she is primal in this. Wrap yourself up in a warm throw with a big cup of cocoa and transport yourself to the groovy years.
January 25, 2011
I vory but I'm 99.99% sure that I saw Jackie Burroughs on the Festival Express Train. Am I hallucinating or what? Please respond. J.
December 21, 2010
Super digg om de glade hippier. Her får noen av 60 tallets mest dopglade musikere, ett eget tog til disposisjon for å dra gjennom Canada å spille på festivaler. Ett salig surr og masse god stemning og musikk! LOVE!
May 14, 2010
One of the highlights is Janis Joplin jammin' with Jerry Garcia. Doesn't get any better than that.
December 24, 2009
How come hardly anybody seems to know about this film?
½ October 8, 2009
I've been on many trains-but this is the train ride I'd love to be on. A lot of nice concert footage and informal jams on the train. It was the first time i saw footage of Janis Joplin playing live and she seems to have been a very interesting performer. This was probably one of if not the last footage taken of her as she died about a month after these festivals.
October 7, 2009
I'm always in the mood for this. just straight up classic 1970
August 7, 2009
recommended by NickCoalNoir.
July 6, 2009
WOODSTOCK on a train is the best way to describe this film. Assembled from new interviews and footage shot back in 1970, this film tells the story of a group of performers who rode a train across Canada to perform three shows. Great music truly carries the film, while the pompous producer with the thick moustache drags the film down a bit.
June 4, 2009
I Just fell in love with a dead woman. I am speechless...

"And I know that it may always be true, that the grass is always greener when your looking in somebody elses yard...He said I gotta go find myself ya know, I gotta find my life, somewhere in Africa or over in NYC or over in Olima; someplace those cats are always wonderin' off too, they are always goin somwhere man. And I said baby don't you realize; you lookin for your life over there, honey. You wanna know where your life is? Your lie's waiting like a goddamn fool, right here, for you man!"

-Janis Joplin