Fetih 1453 (Conquest 1453) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fetih 1453 (Conquest 1453) Reviews

½ October 7, 2012
Huge and impressive production for the first turkish international movie. Extremely biased! great costumes and good music. The quality of visual effects is not mature yet for the movie category. The acting skills and drama level are kind of shallow.
½ September 22, 2012
A good propaganda movie like the ones filmed back in the 60s. Unistorical.
I quote from Wikipedia:
"In 1453 Sultan Mehmed laid siege to Constantinople, driven in part by a desire to convert the city to Islam.[22] The Sultan promised his troops three days of unbridled pillage if the city fell, after which he would claim its contents himself.[23][24] Hagia Sophia was not exempted from the pillage, becoming its focal point as the invaders believed it to contain the greatest treasures of the city.[25] Shortly after the city's defenses collapsed, pillagers made their way to the Hagia Sophia and battered down its doors.[26] Throughout the siege worshipers participated in the Holy Liturgy and Prayer of the Hours at the Hagia Sophia, and the church formed a refuge for many of those who were unable to contribute to the city's defense.[27][28] Trapped in the church, congregants and refugees became booty to be divided amongst the invaders. The building was desecrated and looted, and occupants enslaved or slaughtered;[25] a few of the elderly and infirm were killed, and the remainder chained.[26] Priests continued to perform Christian rites until stopped by the invaders.[26] When the Sultan and his cohort entered the church he insisted it should be at once transformed into a mosque. One of the Ulama then climbed the pulpit and recited the Shahada."
September 13, 2012
C'est une question culturelle délicate : il est hautement improbable qu'un pays baille des fonds pour mettre en scène une défaite nationale : ainsi, on ne verra sans doute jamais de film français sur Waterloo, ou de film américain sur Pearl Harbour (je reprends : de BON film américain sur Pearl Harbour). Qui aurait bien pu s'occuper d'un film sur la prise de Constantinople en 1453 ? Ah ben oui, évidemment...les Turcs. De quoi craindre, vu qu'il s'agit d'un film à vocation populaire retraçant un événement fondateur de leur imaginaire national, des débordements de nationalisme primaire. Hé bien non, même pas : "Fetih 1453" se montre plutôt équilibré dans son traitement d'une situation politique complexe : Byzantins, vizirs Ottomans et Latins sont tous pris dans une toile de complots, de fausses promesses et de trahisons qui conduiront fatalement à la guerre ouverte. Seule la bienveillance du sultan Mehmet II lors de la prise de la ville semble exagérée puisqu'il est avéré qu'il déporta tous les habitants qu'il n'avait pas exterminé. L'aspect historique a en tout cas fait l'objet d'un travail de fond comme en témoigne l'abondance de personnages et l'espace somme toute très modeste réservé à l'inévitable romance sans laquelle une épopée historique ne serait pas ce qu'elle est. Quand au siège de la ville proprement dit (qui occupe quand même une bonne moitié des 2h30 du film), il dépasse toutes les attentes en terme de panache, de mise en scène et de rythme: remplacez Constantinople par Minas Tirith et vous aurez une idée de la démesure et de l'ampleur visuelle de cette bataille qui sonna le glas de l'empire romain d'orient.
½ September 10, 2012
I almost don't even want to rate this. This is the epic story of the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II and the events that led up to him seizing Constantinople. This is the most expensive and highest grossing movie in Turkish history... granted, that translates to modest figures by U.S. box office standards, but that is beside the point. I did myself a huge disservice by watching this with less than acceptable subtitles; they were absolutely impenetrable, and it made full comprehension of the film impossible. The reason why I didn't just turn it off and wait for intelligible subtitles to be released is that after about a half hour of watching, I was able to discern that it wasn't really my type of movie anyway, so I might as well finish it out. It plays a lot like a history lesson, with lots of talks of military planning/strategy, which has never been of any interest for me. The battle scenes are pretty cool, but it's nothing that you haven't already seen before in Kingdom of Heaven or Lord of the Rings. I can definitely see how this movie could mean a lot to people in or from the Middle East, as it is well made and gives a good visual picture of a story that is centuries old, and one that hasn't ever had a big screen adaptation before, at least to my knowledge. I do realize that if I had the ability to completely understand what was being said, I may feel very different about this, but at the end of the day, I do have to rate this for myself.
½ September 7, 2012
50% satisfied. "Making history may require only bravado, but making historical movies demands subtlety as well." - Mark Jenkins
½ September 4, 2012
amazing ... worth seeing
August 14, 2012
En iyi TÃ 1/4rk filmlerinden.
July 7, 2012
This film really sucks. It is depressing enough that billions of people follow a moon god worshiping pedophile, now they try to make it look gallant. Muzlims will love it and loving God believers will cringe at the utter debauchery of slavery, forced sex slaves, sex with babies and children and the cruelty of sex with small animals all in the name of moohammed who did all of these things to include allowing sex with the dead. So go murder a Jew, blame it on islamic belief (true) and then rape his wife all in allah's name.
April 29, 2012
Jingostic and nationalistic to the extreme, it is regardless a visual spectacular telling a story of an important time of history, the fall of Constantinople. There are solid performances across the spectrum, but the visual spectacular of the siege of this medieval city if no doubt what steals the show. Worth seeing on the big screen.
April 14, 2012
"EITHER ISTANBUL WILL CONQUERER ME OR I WILL CONQUERER ISTANBUL" This movie was so amazing I had to watch it a second time.
½ March 29, 2012
Hayatimda seyrettigim en kotu film sanirim.
March 6, 2012
hikayenin sonunu bilmesem daha iyi olacakti sanirim:)
½ February 26, 2012
elestirenler haksizlik etmis, bir de bas aktor niye bu secilmis, anladim, sirri burnu...
½ February 24, 2012
hikayede ciddi esiklikler var. 17 milyon gibi rekor bir butceyle cekilmis olan, bu kadar onemli bir tarihsel olayin anlatildigi filmde bu eksiklikler olmamali!
February 21, 2012
Bu filme bakip duygulanmayan kendine Türk demesin!!
February 19, 2012
MuhteÅem bir baÅyapıt.. Herkesin izlemesini tavsiye ederim.. Filmde ve tabii ki Ä°stanbul'un fethinin gerçekleÅmesinde emeÄi olan herkese teÅekkà 1/4r etmek lazım..