Fever Pitch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fever Pitch Reviews

½ November 30, 2016
A good romcom that guys can watch. Charming and entertaining. Fallon plays a good character.
½ November 16, 2016
Not the typical Farrelly Brothers comedy, but a unique sports romance film. Enjoyable for baseball fans even if the Red Sox aren't your team. It's sweet! (First viewing - Late teen years)
September 16, 2016
Fever Pitch(2005)
Starring: Drew Barrymore, Jimmy Fallon, Lenny Clarke, Jessamy Finet, Miranda Black, Brett Murphy, and Johnny Seed
Directed By: Bobby Farrelly and Peter Farrelly
Review
A Comedy About The Game of Love.
I saw like the first thirty minutes of this movie early last year and since then I have been wanting to finish it and today I gladly did. This is a comedy that makes me think of myself again. We all have one thing were very passionate about. IN this film theirs Ben who has been a passionate Red Socks fan since he was eleven, he goes to practice games, does drafts of who's going to what game with him, and never misses a game. But he has to try and balance his commitment to the game and Lindsy.
This film is based of a novel actually and that surprised me, I feel like reading the book now, when I look at Jimmy Fallons character in this movie I see me, because he's a romantic and he's like an expert on his passion among him and his friends, his being the Red Socks, mine being movies/films. It's humor is played out through funny situations with Ben and Lindsey, when it comes to Lindseys job and Bens love for the Red socks. I don't know how close it was to its source material but it was a joy to watch. I give Fever Pitch a four out of five.
½ August 22, 2016
One of a few guilty Farrely Bros pleasures for me. It helps being able to relate juggling a relationship with being a sports nut. I thought Barrymore & Fallon had great chemistry & were both very funny & charming. This is definitely the Farrely Bros tamest comedy to date, but also the most heart felt.
½ August 3, 2016
Omfg soooooo badddddddd!!!!!! Pathetic acting,writing, EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS MOVIE IS AWFUL!!!!!
May 21, 2016
It was enjoyable enough for a one time see, but Fallon should stick to his show. Barrymore was very enjoyable! Cool to see the Red Sox story but nothing I need to see again
½ May 20, 2016
not too bad. also good for some nostalgia if you're a Sox fan.
½ May 2, 2016
Worst movie ever 0/10 would not recommend teacher put this on instead of Dark Knight and I'm still pissed even though I'm a Red Sox fan. Overall an unfunny waste of time and Hollywood. Jimmy Fallon is a scrub
½ April 4, 2016
I may be biased since Jimmy Fallon is one of my favorite celebrities, and I find this to be one of only two good movies with him in it, the other being the great "Almost Famous," but I found this to be a light hearted, fun romantic comedy/sports movie about addiction and tradition that needs to be broken every once in a while. Fallon and Barrymore both have great chemistry, and there is a perfect balance of light hearted fun and serious emotion that comes with every relationship. It's no "500 Days of Summer," but "Fever Pitch" is a great time waiting to be had. 8.7/10
½ March 16, 2016
I am biased. I love baseball and this is an interesting baseball movie. And I love watching Drew Barrymore, and this movie's got her in it.

Sometimes love needs a miracle, like the one when the Red Sox broke the curse of the Bambino.
October 14, 2015
The film that shows how being a true baseball fan is a full time job while also being an enjoyable romantic comedy.
September 28, 2015
A must see for all baseball fans
½ September 1, 2015
Fever Pitch was a surprise home run that didn't get robbed.
½ August 10, 2015
As a card carrying member of Sox nation,I wanted to hate this fluff but I found myself liking this fluff more than I would have liked....damn it.
½ July 29, 2015
Great adaptation of a good book!
Being a Red Sox fan since early '86 made this one even that much more enjoyable.
June 27, 2015
this is such cute movie. they are great together!!! I like the story line, it seems real. when you are dating in your 30's everyone has something a little off with them or stuck in their ways. it was nice to seem that and acceptance
January 17, 2015
Cute romance but sports are boring
January 17, 2015
Fever Pitch is a 2005 romantic comedy drama sports film produced and directed by Peter and Bobby Farrelly, written by Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel, based on the novel by Nick Hornby, produced by and starring Drew Barrymore, and co-starring Jimmy Fallon, Kadee Strickland, Jobeth Williams, James B. Sikking, Ione Skye, Marissa Jaret Winokur, Evan Helmuth, Miranda Black, Andrew Wilson, Jack Kehler, Lenny Clarke, Willie Garson, Johnny Sneed, Scott Severance, Jessamy Finet, and Maureen Keiller.

Ben Wrightman (Jimmy Fallon) is a huge fan of the Boston Red Sox baseball team, which is still under the Curse of the Bambino, having not won a World Series since 1916. Ben's love for the sport and the team borders on addiction. He lives in an apartment that looks more like a Red Sox gift shop. One day, Ben scores a new girlfriend in the form of businesswoman Lindsey Meeks (Drew Barrymore), who's reaching 30 and is tired of dating sharp, competitive guys. And thus begins a love triangle between Ben, Lindsey, and the Red Sox, where Ben must choose between the girl he loves and the team he's worshipped since he was a child.

Well, would you look at that? A romantic comedy that's well-acted, well-written, and is both funny and sweet. Very rarely do we see a good rom-com these days. If you're looking a genuinely good rom-com, then this movie fits your bill. Fever Pitch is based on an autobiographical novel by High Fidelity author Nick Hornby. The novel was also adapted into a 1997 film of the same name written by Hornby and starring Colin Firth and Mark Strong. I haven't read the novel. I think I saw the 1997 film, but I don't remember it quite well. This is the American remake of the 1997 film, and I really liked it.

I have to praise the performances from Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore. They were both great in this film, as were the supporting actors. Not only are Fallon's and Barrymore's characters well-developed, likeable, and believable, but the two have fantastic romantic chemistry. When I look at them, I don't see two actors portraying people who fall in love. I actually see two real people in a romantic relationship. They don't just kiss all the time. They actually talk about things real couples talk about, and in a way real couples should.

Fever Pitch manages to be the Farrelly brothers' most mature and serious film while still maintaining some of their trademark humor. As a matter of fact, there's only one gross-out gag in the whole film. On their first date, Ben finds Lindsey sick from food poisoning, and we hear her throwing up in her bathroom. Not only that, but it's implied through a line of dialogue that Lindsey's dog actually ate some of her puke. Yeah, I know, pretty disgusting shit. However, this scene isn't really played for laughs as much as it really shows how kind and thoughtful Ben is (well, before his die-hard Red Sox fanboyism kicks in).

Ben also takes care of her when she's sick. For example, he undresses her and then helps her put on pajamas, helps her to bed, places a hamper near her in case she needs to vomit again, cleans up her bathroom, offers her Gatorade (gotta replenish those electrolytes somehow), brushes her dog's teeth, and even sleeps on her couch. Okay, I'll admit, this is a tad bit excessive, and some people actually found this to be creepy. That's understandable, but considering that she seemed really out of it and Ben proves himself to be a likeable character, I found it to be rather good-natured and considerate than creepy.

The screenplay, penned by the legendary comedy writing duo of Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel, is well-written with unfailingly funny humor, believable dialogue, and good characters. Seriously, the humor in this film is incredibly hilarious. One of my favorite bits is when one of Lindsey's friends calls their bike instructor a Nazi spin bitch. I also really liked one bit where Ben's in the shower and he's asking his doctor friend why he's shaving his testicles. Trust me, it's funnier than how I'm describing it.

Craig Armstrong delivers a really good musical score. It's a shame this score hasn't gotten a CD release, even nearly ten years after this film came out. However, the soundtrack is awesome. There are lots of quality songs on that soundtrack. The cinematography by the Farrellys' current go-to cinematographer Matthew F. Leonetti is pretty solid. We get some really nice shots of Fenway Park and of the city of Boston. Also, if you're expecting some T&A, don't worry, you'll get it (watch the bike/cycle gym scene that takes place eight and a half minutes into the movie in case you don't believe me).

FINAL SCORE: 8/10

Some things could get a little too sappy and clichéd, but overall, Fever Pitch manages to hit a home run, benefitting from an intelligently-written script, incredibly funny humor, and wonderful chemistry between Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon. Fever Pitch is a sweet, hilarious, and genuine film, one of the better romantic comedies to come out, and one of my top five favorite films from the Farrelly brothers. I really enjoyed this film and I recommend it.