Fierce People - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fierce People Reviews

½ October 1, 2016
This movie is highly under rated. I disagree with the statement, ' Anton Yelchin's smug performance makes the film even harder to agree with'. Most teenagers are smug, so his performance was spot on! It's compelling and the moral at the end is very powerful.
½ July 25, 2015
Very very very strange movie.
½ May 14, 2015
Cast all around did an amazing job to put the characters in place, but there is something about the movie that just did not work. A little stupid here and there, and somewhat overdramatic. Even so, I think it is watchable.
May 4, 2015
Fierce People, is a riveting, hilarious, and heartbreaking, peek behind the scenes of a wealthy family with Eclectic, idiosyncratic characters that provide plenty of entertainment. I found it to be a hybrid of Hunter S. Thompson and J.D. Salinger, a compelling-and moving-coming-of-age tale of fear and loathing the rich and twisted. I don't get why Rotten Tomatoes Hates it. Just 24%? Sure There's the part where Captain America rapes Chekov, but hell Obi-Wan has sex with Batman in Velvet Goldmine1998 and Rotten Tomatoes Gave Velvet Goldmine 56%.
½ July 24, 2014
Comparing the book & the movie would be a bad thing to do. The actor who played Finn was barely relatable nor convincing. This role would have been far better suited to an actor that could have easily pulled off Finn's vulnerable but mature side. Not someone who looks like a 12 year old. On a happier note I thought that Donald Sutherland suited his role exceptionally. Advice? Don't make a movie from an amazing book if its only going to be only "ok" because this movie was just that.
December 7, 2013
Good movie... kinda sad, but very well done.
November 28, 2013
This movie is hard to rate but worth a watch. The relationship between Anton Yelchin, Donald Sutherland and Diane Lane's characters were the central story and a good one. The anthropology association about the "fierce" tribe for coming of age is really great (and strange that it's original if you think about it) The downside are the side plots, which I understand had to happen to reinforce the movie's message "From bad things come the good" however I knew immediately who the attacker was. Other parts were just kind of thrown in there and not really necessary. I can't decide if the movie at the end chickens out or if it was meant to mean Yelchin's character wouldn't succumb to evil so therefore he would ultimately end up with good (I strongly suspect the latter) ***Spoiler: I do not understand why some people didn't understand the picture at the end. If they'd watched it they'd know that was the original picture that was used for blackmail and how Sutherland gained all of his money. That was not a difficult connection to make and a very good ending in my opinion.
November 17, 2013
i thought this movie was incredible. it was different, shocking, violent, and you'd never expect these actors together and playing the roles they played. i watched it years ago and it is still one of those movies that i think about.
June 2, 2013
this movie was very "what the fck"
December 11, 2012
Good movie. I thought it was going to be funny, and somewhat teenage movie, but it is more than that. Great movie, great acting.
December 7, 2012
Story sparks me up, could ultimately be worth watching. The cast is very impressive, will look out for this at the cinema. I like Chris Evans and Diane Lane rising stars, will immerse myself.
½ November 25, 2012
the book was good, but the movie was terrible!
October 1, 2012
Was really enjoying the quirkiness until it got all serious. BTW, how did Diane Lane kick her habit so quickly?
½ September 4, 2012
Very good movie with an amazing plot twist and Chris Evans is just phenomenal in this film
½ June 26, 2012
Discovered this little gem in September thanks to a tip from entertainment writer Larry Richman. Absolutely one of my favorite movies this year, and probably of all time! A major contender for 2007 Poppies and easily will end up on my first revised Pantheon list next year. An absolute tour-de-force performance from young Anton Yelchin- FANTASTIC!
June 17, 2012
Ever want to see Chris Evans in a completely new light? Watch this movie. Brilliantly acted, but a little scarring.
May 24, 2012
Actor turned director Griffin Dunne has a very uneven track record in his newer profession. With ‚Fierce People,‚? an adaptation of Dirk Wittenborn‚(TM)s book, Dunne finds a perfect indie drama tone with solid visual realization and a reliable cast.

Anton Yelchin is perfect in coming of age roles, and he shines also here as Finn, a troubled teenager embarking on a journey of learning about humanity during one summer. Twilight Star Kristen Stewart could still act when this was made, and actually the whole cast has been selected quite nicely.

The movie reaches a perfect flavor that mixes drama, tragedy, comedy and surrealism in an odd but compelling combination. Here‚(TM)s a film that isn‚(TM)t afraid of crossing genre boundaries but still feels organic and plausible. It‚(TM)s an exploration on individual growth, the irrationality of societal classes and the darkest, primitive biological modes of behavior still manifest in human interaction. The title of the film refers to Finn‚(TM)s father‚(TM)s occupation in anthropology. During the course of the film Finn realizes that the social elite he spends his summer with are every bit as cruel, aggressive and dangerous as the fiercest human tribes are imagined to be.
May 13, 2012
Interesting film, good performances.
½ April 27, 2012
We are the sum of all the people we ever met.