Fight Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fight Club Reviews

½ November 18, 2016
I had never seen this film up until very recently (this is apparently considered a crime to some people), I believe that 'Fight Club' is a great film with a strong message throughout - freedom is of utmost importance, however freedom does come at a cost.

There are many films that use a limited narration technique in order to lull the audience into a false sense of narrative security, 'The Sixth Sense' and 'The Usual Suspects' are two examples of films that use this as an icing in the cake rather than as the main component. 'Fight Club' is very much the same as the two examples: The twist is subtly hinted at throughout the film but upon realisation of the truth, we as an audience are shocked. However, once again, the twist is not the main component, it merely helps emphasize the point of the film - freedom.

*SPOILER*
Edward Norton's character the 'Narrator' is the antithesis to Brad Pitt's 'Tyler Durden', Norton is an everyday white-collar worker who cares too much for his possessions, Pitt wants freedom and he will stop at nothing to get it (this includes the death of Bob, the man with actual boobs). They are both the same character, Pitt wants to fight for freedom both internally and externally and, despite his 'death', he wins. Norton slowly assimilates Pitt's personality - beating himself up and getting fired from his job, as well as having a weird obsession with beating the living sh*t out of people.

Overall I think that 'Fight Club' is a great film about freedom, anti-commercialism and beating the hell out of Jared Leto...
November 13, 2016
Amazing, original idea. Every time you rewatch it you'll probably find something new going on that you hadn't noticed beforehand. Funny, scary and has a very important message. Obviously no one has listened to this message going from what has happened since but hey.
November 11, 2016
Fight Club is one of the most loved movies of all time, and for good reasons. Dazzling performanced by Brad Pitt, Edward Norton and pretty much everyone. What made it more impressive was the top notch direction. But the most notable of all, the story was very gripping, and as the cherry on top the spectacular ending shot which looked amazing.
November 11, 2016
sorry I can't really tell you about this movie but just now it's one of the best.
½ November 11, 2016
A nameless narrator (played by Edward Norton) suffering from insomnia is trying to find more satisfaction in his life, since he is unable to do so through his possessions. He seeks help from some therapy groups he doesn't need until he meets Tyler Durden (played by Brad Pitt), a cool, cynical soap maker who starts a fight club with the narrator to try to help other unsatisfied, bored men find a new life force for themselves. Without giving away major spoilers, that may be the best way I understood and can describe the basic premise of "Fight Club".

This film is a very interesting one for me. It's a film that has had a cult following by people who have interpreted a message that I want to understand more. I think it is an engaging film that explores themes of consumerism without being owned by one's possessions, anarchic and anti-social behavior, finding satisfaction in life, and the influence of some people's cynicism and macho behavior (and I want to find more, as that's probably not all).

Sometimes though, the film gets kind of weird and uncomfortable to watch. There's a strangely surreal sex scene, Meat Loaf growing female body parts, and some intensely disturbing behavior from Tyler Durden. He's an interesting character, don't get me wrong, but some of the stuff he does and some of his ideas he pushes on the people he meets would not necessarily make me want to hang out with him if he were real.

The artistic values of "Fight Club", however, are hard to ignore. The acting is overall terrific. Helena Bonham Carter gives another "weird woman" performance as Marla, but it actually works in this film; I can buy her character existing in real life. Edward Norton is surprisingly good as the nameless narrator. I say this because he delivers a very vulnerable performance that contrasts very much from the characters he plays in "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and "Birdman". But the standout, for me, was by far, Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden. He gives so much energy to his performance that it is hard to look away from his acting when he appeared on screen.

The story is also good enough to keep one's attention. The introduction alone got me interested. I could relate to the narrator in the sense that I also don't always feel satisfied with my belongings, and that I, for one, also often have trouble sleeping. I liked the ongoing battle of words and wits between Norton and Carter, and the odd bonding the narrator has with Robert, as weird as it may be. And of course, who can forget about the introduction and activities of Fight Club? As brutal and intense as they were, there was an intriguing factor to them that made me want to continue the film to try to find an underlying message. Oh, and I need to mention the ending, because when I thought that the movie was just being tough to watch, it got insanely better. It not only revealed a huge plot point that many people didn't see coming, but I was anxious to see how the film would end up for the characters.

So while "Fight Club" is tough to watch at times, I think it is worth seeing at least once. It has great acting and a great story, while also having thought-provoking themes and ideas to keep one's interest. I would be willing to watch the movie again to perhaps appreciate it more, or to just see people's reaction to the ending.
7.5/10 (I am right in the middle between 7-8/10 stars, but I want to process this film more before I might raise the rating. So for now, I'll give it the 3.5/5 rating that RT offers).
½ November 9, 2016
I knew the major plot twist going in, but I thoroughly enjoyed the film regardless.
October 28, 2016
How much do you know about yourself if your never been in a fight?
October 25, 2016
This movie is killer. It capitalizes on its absurdist feel and it's one of the greats when it comes to super formalism. It is almost impossible to tire of this film.
½ October 19, 2016
A masterclass in filmography. The unique Fight Club is perfectly acted, brilliantly shot and thoroughly well written. I eternally wish I had seen it sooner.
October 4, 2016
This is an insane film ! i fucking love it.
½ October 3, 2016
A well directed movie but with a twisted and tricky ending.
½ September 28, 2016
Fazendo um passeio sensacional pela psique humana,Fight Club acopla a direção de David Fincher junto com as incríveis atuações de Edward Norton e Brad Pitt.
September 25, 2016
Great movie with great performances. Is a must watch
½ September 9, 2016
An incredible film that has rightfully gathered the following it deserves, outstanding performances across the cast accompanied by a concept worthy of much adoration. A great film to watch when you want a guaranteed mind-fuck!
September 4, 2016
The realism of Palanhuik's scathing critique of hypermasculinity and human nature is not in any way diminished by the dystopian mise-en-scene used by Fincher. Norton and Pitt are unqualifiedly brilliant. Not something you're gonna forget any time soon.
½ September 3, 2016
Too bad Edward Norton's performance doesn't feel as great as those other actors on the cast nor the film's screenplay.
August 27, 2016
This Is One Of My All Time Favorite Movies!!
August 24, 2016
A film with great performances, perfect direction and screenplay. Fight Club is an elaborate, smart, fun, unconventional film,
½ August 17, 2016
74% - Fight Club is not the most engaging film to watch at all times but it has a climax that will intrigue everyone and it has a message that creates social awareness for everyone.