The Fighting Kentuckian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fighting Kentuckian Reviews

July 10, 2014
well ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that john wayne (.R.I.P.), vera ralston (.R.I.P.), philip dorn (.R.I.P.), oliver hardy (.R.I.P.), marie windsor (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....i think that the director of this western/action/adventure/classics movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throguhout this movie.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a classics movie 2 watch......

This is one of only three times that Hardy worked without partner Stan Laurel after they'd teamed up as Laurel and Hardy. Hardy also appeared with Harry Langdon in Zenobia (1939) and with Bing Crosby in Riding High (1950). It was the only time that Hardy appeared in a film with John Wayne, though the two had worked together onstage a year earlier in a touring charity production of What Price Glory? starring Wayne, Ward Bond, and Maureen O'Hara, and directed by John Ford.

hroughout the film, Breen's soldiers sing:
Only six hundred miles more to go Only six hundred miles more to go And if we can just get lucky We will end up in Kentucky Only six hundred miles more to go
When the song is first heard, there are eight hundred miles to go.

its got good fight scenes throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a cult classics western movie 2 watch its got good fight scenes throughout this movie......i think that this is such a classics movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie.....its such an enjoyable classics western movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.....
April 5, 2014
This movie has some of the worst reviews and comments on any John Wayne movie, but it is one of my favorites. i love Oliver Hardy as the side kick. And John Wayne is always good...
March 19, 2014
good western bio-pic of sorts
August 15, 2013
Good movie fun. Best wagon charge ever. Unfortunately I wish the main French woman character was an actual French actress instead of a Czech actress.
½ October 7, 2012
never seen john wayne in a english looking saddle whatch this
December 15, 2011
This was actually a lot of fun to watch but rather odd as the heroes are the refugees from Napoleon's French Imperial court and the villains are a bunch of Alabaman river men trying to cheat the French out of thier land grants. PS the French win the land/range war with some help from John Wayne and Stan Laurel who is really good as Wayne's fighting sidekick. It's funny as the the way the actors say John Wayne's character's name with thier accents makes it sound like they are saying John Wayne instead of John Breen.
½ July 26, 2011
Not very interesting and the print used for the dvd looks cruddy.
February 28, 2011
nothing especially good, but nothing terribly bad either, it's an okay film with Oliver Hardy still managing to steal the film even without Stan Laurel
½ January 16, 2011
It has a little light humor, it has action, it has drama and it has romance. Not a bad early movie of "the Duke". Oliver Hardy adds a nice comic relieve to the movie.
December 10, 2009
Another so-so outing by The Duke. A bit of a 'by the numbers - do anything to win the girl you've only just met' plot. Nice to see him play alongside Oliver Hardy but fairly average fare. Seen a lot worse & a lot better from the big fella.
November 20, 2009
Really good John Wayne MID-western.
March 11, 2009
Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor
March 9, 2009
aAlittle better than average Wayne movie with Oliver Hardy as his sidekick
November 3, 2008
YEA BABY! I AM FROM KENTUCKY AND EVERYONE KNOWS THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ April 16, 2008
John Wayne always looks like he has a dino-dump that needs deposited.
April 4, 2008
love the olddys cant beat them
½ April 2, 2008
Wayne does the honourable thing towards the immigrants, perhaps a bit lost in the modern world but even though the plot is generic enough it is watchable.
January 23, 2008
Not your 'run of the mill' Western with Wayne buddying up with Oliver Hardy to woo the girl and win the day - even the supposed bad guy has redeeming values. The chemistry between Wayne and Ralston is almost pallatable too.
January 14, 2008
JOHN WAS SO GREAT IN THIS MOVIE!