The Fighting Seabees - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fighting Seabees Reviews

February 28, 2009
Typical Wayne vehicle of patriotic tough guy with the expected one-sided pro-USA themes brodering on propaganda. Still, it is well told and inspiring.
½ January 10, 2009
Its everything you'd expect from a pro-American war movie. The fighting scenes were pretty good for a movie thats nearly 65 years old! The only thing I could have done without was the love story between John Wayne and Susan Hayward. Actually her character probably could be erased and it wouldn't make any difference to the plot at all
December 10, 2008
no thanks not my kinda thing
November 26, 2008
All-American hero John Wayne takes a crew of construction workers and turns them into one of WWII's toughest fighting forces in this action-packed war classic. But first he has to convince the army b...( read more read more... )rass to let his civilians bear arms, and then he's got to whip them into combat shape. Now Wayne is fighting for his life on a different battlefield when he's brought up on court-martial charges for leading his troops in an all-out assault against the Japanese. It's Wayne at his best, playing the kind of rough-and-tumble man of honor that made him a legend and Hollywood's biggest star. An entertaining combination of strong supporting performances by Daniel O'Keefe and ravishing, about-to-be superstar Susan Hayward.
October 29, 2008
Classic John Wayne....nuff said!!!
½ October 19, 2008
Good old Patriotic classic. The acting is melodramatic, and dialogue corny, but it is one of the most patriotic, WWII films probably ever made, and that's truly something missing from our movies today; Patriotism.
August 26, 2008
great movie but i do say the romantic plot took away from it. I myself being a seabee i still watch it atlest once a week somtimes even more. WE BUILD WE FIGHT
½ July 31, 2008
This movie is lesser because Wayne tries to play the romantic more than the archetypal hero we are used to. It gives the film a disjointed feel, mainly through typecast.
½ July 3, 2008
The only downside is when John dies
May 29, 2008
One of the Best Movies the Duke Made
½ May 13, 2008
The story of how the SeaBees (CBs Construction Batallion) came to be. Tired of watching his construction workers killed in battle, John Wayne takes his fight to Washington DC and beyond.
May 5, 2008
Another great war film glamorizing violence and rallying support from Americans with...a young, handsome John Wayne. Based off a true story, this film will keep you glued to the television set as they fight for what's moral and just...like every other great 30 and 40's war film. I love how it's action packed and, yeah, it could have done without the romance part; but, the underlined theme in every great war film from this era is to end the war as quickly as possible so the women won't miss their soldiers and go STRAIGHT back into the kitchen...barefoot and pregnant...bearing the children of the ultra conservative 50s.
April 28, 2008
The movie is a little old for my tastes but John Wayne's the man! Big shout out to my fellow Seabees deployed over seas! And the greatest construction force in the world! SEABEE's!
April 2, 2008
Love the pairing of Hayward and Wayne. Love the movie, but the romantic subplot has a silly ending to me.
March 5, 2008
Not one of Wayne best films. Tries too hard to promote the worthyness of the Constructio Battalions, and the love story element is vapid to say the least. One of the rare films in which Wayne dies - nevertheless heroically.
February 1, 2008
i sang this is school and i am scared for life
January 24, 2008
I hate this movie but John Wayne was really cute
December 19, 2007
John Wayne was right, but he was always right.
November 29, 2007
Oooooh- my uncle was a Seabee. He's retired, though.
October 21, 2007
John Wayne flag-waver singing the praises of the Construction Battalions. Worthy and action-packed enough to be entertaining. Could have done without the tacked-on love story.