Final - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Final Reviews

½ December 9, 2012
Basically two people talking in a room. Denis Leary is good but this is kinda boring.
½ January 1, 2012
A character-driven psychological drama/mystery/sci-fi. It moves at deliberately slow place, relying solely on performances to advance the story. Leary and Davis are absolutely superb. Despite the slow pace the movie never gets boring, and the emotional impact in he end was indescribable. Having said that, It feels very much like a stage play (and as I learned later, it is in fact based on a stage play). So if you are looking for an action packed sci-fi with special effects, this movie is not for you.
½ November 4, 2011
Denis Leary gives a terrific performance in this strange psychological trip. A story that keeps you wondering what's real and what's imaginary. A great premise, but unfortunately, when the truth is revealed, the ending sadly falls apart. A big disappointment after such a promising buildup.
½ May 4, 2011
A series of lifeless, bland monologues that stretch over two hours. Final takes a Twilight Zone premise that could easily have been fit into half an hour and inserts enough pauses to fill two hours. There's so little chemistry between Leary and Davis that I have to wonder why Leary's character didn't simply jab a pen in her eye and run for freedom. Ending is rather predictable and so underwhelming that most of the audience is likely to sleep at the halfway point. The budget was a minimal 80,000, however as other critics have stated, more has been done with considerably less.

Poor script, plotholes, and pretentiousness aside, the film is criminally uninteresting in spite of Leary's driving performance.
April 22, 2011
Better than I expected. Shows what some decent acting and a focused story can do with a limited budget.
½ January 4, 2011
While I don't regret watching Denis Leary and Hope Davis' stellar performances in this film (not to mention Jim Gaffigan's - why aren't more people remarking what a great job he did), this was a strange experience in that I can't say I enjoyed the film.

The acting was amazing. The film itself was depressing and drawn out.

The science-fiction aspects of the movie were minimal, even negligible, and the scientific premise itself not worthy of a third-grader (on the level of how, in Isle of Dr. Moreau, they plotted to kill the main character "to get his DNA").
November 13, 2010
Set Apart From Itself

I wonder what it says about me that, as I was watching the credits ([i]of course[/i] I was watching the credits!), I was disappointed to see a scroll go past informing me that "Mr. Leary's guitar solo" was performed by someone else. I'm perfectly aware that not everyone knows how to play an instrument. Honestly, I'm even aware that some people can't be taught to. However, it still kind of saddens me. I mean, Samuel L. Jackson played his own solo in [i]Black Snake Moan[/i]. Richard Gere did his own dancing in [i]Chicago[/i]. (Catherine Zeta-Jones did, too, but she'd had previous training.) Yes, Johnny Depp lip-synched in [i]Cry Baby[/i], but I think John Waters probably thought it was funnier, and Tim Burton didn't let him do it in [i]Sweeney Todd[/i]. I think my feeling here was, "He only had to play for like a minute or two!"

Leary is Bill. Bill is shut up in a mental ward. His doctor is Ann (Hope Davis). What Bill knows, and what Ann denies, is that he was part of a cryogenic experiment. He has been frozen for a long time--I think he thinks it's been four hundred years. He doesn't remember much, but he remembers that. Whereas Ann says it's been a week or so that he's been in there, and they just found him after a car accident. He'll be released when he is no longer a danger to himself or others. However, he knows that they're planning to give him a lethal injection. He'll never get out of there alive, and he knows it. Slowly, Ann helps him remember details about his life before he got there, however he got there. Will it turn out it was a suicide attempt? Is he right about where and when and why he is? Or is there something else going on?

Denis Leary has never broken out of his twenty-year-old persona as that shouty smoking guy. This, I think, is in part because he didn't take roles like this. But I think part of the problem there might be that he was seldom offered them. I heard him complain on the subject in an interview once. Now, I do think he gave a fine performance in [i]The Ref[/i], but I think [i]The Ref[/i] is a seriously underrated film. The issue there is that there's more to the character than just shouting, though of course he does shout a lot. Here, he hardly ever shouts at all, even in flashback. He rambles a lot, and he says things he shouldn't say, but it's all in a very quiet way. He interacts with Ann in a determined way, but there isn't much shouting involved. Arguably, what's really going on is despair, which is very different.

By limiting the characters shown, the film doesn't have to get more involved about the mental health issues involved. Bill interacts with a few of the other patients once, briefly, but his world is mostly limited to Ann, orderly Dayton (Jim Gaffigan), and Ann's supervisor (Maureen Anderman). No matter who's right, there are good and sensible reasons for it. However, from a storytelling perspective, it also means they don't have to show anyone else's problems. Bill's, after all, are supposed to be ambiguous. If they were straightforward, there wouldn't be much story. As it stands, the movie doesn't ask us to take sides. It doesn't matter to the movie if Bill is right or wrong until relatively late in the proceedings. It's also true that the movie mostly does not distract itself with subplot.

On the other hand, I do think we're kind of being cheated from the fact that the movie doesn't have the courage to limit itself even more. The story could arguably have worked better limited to just one room. For starters, there are a few scenes which, while showing us in a pretty jarring way what the true of the situation is, kind of distract from everything else. Okay, yes, the flashbacks couldn't take place in there, though the combination of hallucination, memory, and reality works very well indeed. Still, I'm not sure there's any reason for Ann to be seen anywhere but in the confines of that really quite spacious room, as hospital rooms go. Indeed, that could have made the contrast all the more striking. Though I'll admit the Connecticut November is lovely.
January 2, 2010
Part of InDigEnt's series of films made for under $150,000 which also includes Richard Linklater's impressive Tape, Rodrigo Garcia's excellent Ten Tiny Love Stories and Ethan Hawke's woeful Chelsea Walls. Unfortuneatly this sits alongside Chelsea Walls. It's good as a showcase of Dennis Leary but reeks of pretention and self importance.
October 19, 2009
Nice story and good acting in a small budget chamber play. Way too lame and boring though.
½ September 10, 2009
Really weird movie. I found it hard to finish the movie. For me personally it only started getting interesting at the end. Everything else was kind of boring. It was sad that in the end she had to choose between her sister and him.
I just honestly didn't like this movie that much. Hope Davis and Denis Leary had very little chemistry. I really don't reccomend this movie at all unless you need something to fall asleep to.
February 17, 2009
I keep seeing tiny chunks of this movie. I feel like I should watch all of it once.
July 16, 2008
Denis Leary is surprisingly good. I never thought of him as an actor but I think he did a very good job with what was there. The movie was slow and lackluster until the last quarter of the movie. The ending was well done and suprisingly powerful, though waiting all that time for the end may not be worth it.
½ May 24, 2008
Cool Movie, Love Denis Leary!
½ January 4, 2008
Rather slow paced and difficult to follow with no real payoff at the end. Strong performances by both leads, but the story line and character development don't really earn a lot of emotional buy in from the viewer. When it finally ended I just thought, "What the?"
½ December 5, 2007
Everything about the packaging and marketing of this movie is deceptive. Pretty good, though.
½ November 10, 2007
Cons: slow, the twist and the overall drama didn't really mesh
Pros: good performances, meaty intellectually along the way. nice ending (until the very end), Denis Leary's intelligent character was really interesting to watch and listen to the whole movie.
August 23, 2007
I think it is a good and a bit funny..
½ July 13, 2007
Interesting chamber piece about a hospital patient who wakes from a coma and believes he's now in the future and that the doctors plan on killing him and taking his organs! The performances are uniformly solid with Denis Leary being the standout; his performance keeps the audience guessing about whether his raves are true or just hallucinations. However, the script suffers from glacier pacing (nothing really happens until the last thirty minutes) and the initial mystery (is he crazy or isn't he?) isn't enough to sustain the viewer's interest. In addition, the direction is so bland by Campbell Scott that it feels we are watching a stage play, hampering the audience's involvement even more. Still, fans of Leary and psychological mystery tales should give this film a try.
June 7, 2007
Didn't expect it -- great movie. Intense, confusing, heartbreaking. Watch it!
January 16, 2007
Leary iss a GREAT Actor....