91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

Final Analysis Reviews

TheGame90
TheGame90

April 24, 2010
I don't really know what to say....It's a good movie...It have twists and turns that you didn't see coming. But come on....we can all tell it's just a Basic Instinc wanna be (never can be) Like....Richard Gere and Kim Basinger...Is it just me or is that just a cheap rip of of Douglas and Stone? Well as I said....Good movie, good story,good actors. But still...never can be
deano
deano

March 15, 2007
Not a bad suspense film about a psychiatrist who becomes a murder suspect. But I like Richard Gere and Kim Basinger as well as they reunited again since 1986's No Mercy.
terris85017
terris85017

April 5, 2010
(1992 Director: Phil Joanou) Oh yeah! This is a fun movie, a bit of a comedy, ieven for the theme of Gere falling in love with Bassinger who was married to the Mob...

Okay...Thought it might be interesting to know that 3 of Gere's overwhelming favorites amongst my "friends" here on Flixster were:

1-An Officer & A Gentleman
2-Pretty Woman
3-American Gigolo {very very risque for 1980)

First Knight, Breathless, The Hoax & 3 which I have NOT yet seen The Hunting Party (2007), Runaway Bride and Dr. T,

Some other excellent acting performances I should mention were: Primal Fear and Unfaithful (my 2 personal favorites!),
ChGeor9
March 23, 2008
Makes you wonder why he would take a chance on his career. He could have other women than one theat could end his life and career.
terryc1000
January 10, 2008
One of the top 10. It thrills and excits the svisual and mental senses. This one will leave a lasting impression. No distractions needed for this one.
~Lissa~

July 16, 2007
This was a OK thriller. It did remind me a little of a Hitchcock movie with the lighthouse.
Kim Basinger looked lovely and unfortunately Uma Thurman didn't kick any ass in it.
It seems like Richard Gere has played this role over and over again.
It was the only movie on at 1am and I did watch the whole thing so it can't be all that bad.
MovieGuruDude72
June 19, 2007
One of the last true noirs to be made in the last 15 years. As annoying as I find Kim Basinger, I found this film pretty well done.
sbg79
October 17, 2006
One of Richard's crazy thrillers...it was okay, I've only seen it one time, I'd probably watch it again.
Sgt. Cockstrain
October 4, 2013
(53%)
A decent suspense drama with more than a element of Hitchcock about it. The first half hour drags a little but once it gets going it improves, but don't expect too much excitement here.
Dave J
July 23, 2013
Tuesday, July 23, 2013

(1992) Final Analysis
MYSTERY THRILLER

Starring and executive produced by Richard Gere as a shrink Dr. Isaac Barr verbally helping patient Diana Baylor (Uma Thurman). She then convinces him to see her sister since she's just as troubled as much as she is and her name is Diana Baylor played by Kim Basinger. Diane also supposed to have a rare disorder called 'pathological alcohol intoxicator' where if they were to consume any alcohol that they would go into either lapse or physical rage and at the same time forgetting everything they had done. And of course Barr played by Gere, becomes infatuated with Diane and starts to have 'a conflict of interest' by affairs with her even though she is still married to sleaze ball Jimmy Evans (Eric Roberts).

Although, there aren't any cringing moments, much of the people who were killed deserved to be killed which somehow confuses the audience on who to root for since it's 'pathological alcohol intoxicator' side effects are used so pointlessly as if the Gere character is witnessing this too which the ending contradicts the first half of the movie.

2 out of 4 stars
February 16, 2013
A psychiatrist has an affair with her patient's sister and becomes embroiled in the murder of her husband. A desperate revisitation of the old noir plot devices with none of the style or charm but with Basinger looking well in her femme fatale role.
October 26, 2012
Good but a little predictable.
Chiara C.
September 22, 2012
Richard Gere and Kim Basinger together = *SIZZLE*!
Liked the plot, the actors and the filming locations.
Mr. Taylor
January 18, 2011
Phil Joanou spins a Hitchcock type thriller web that stars plenty of eye candy. It is not a perfect thriller, nor does it embark on new journeys into the psychological thriller noir but it has a classy feel to it. I wish I could have edited this picture to fill in the potholes (who carries a barbell in their purse for protection and how farfetched are the finale sequences?) It nearly cripples itself at times because it reaches too far out. The core of the story works and we can involve ourselves in the basics but it got greedy. The story just gets too carried away at times to the point where it is a bit laughable. The plot does, however, swerve in and out of lustful suspense well enough that we remain interested. The twists and layers unravel and keep unraveling until the final conclusions and the cast keeps us guessing all the while. That is what makes this movie work as well as it does. Eric Roberts brings his well known intensity as the no good husband and shows that he is still a stand up actor. He immediately earns our disliking and that is just what he wanted. Basinger, Thurman, and Gere bring different shades of character that work well in complex settings so the casting department needs some praises for great variety. A would be great story, paired with considerable flaws, Final Analysis gives us a moderate noir trip that will surely divide it's audience. (D)
Charles M.
December 8, 2009
A slowly paced debut for a phycological thriller flick might be the reason not to watch this movie. Somewhat like a fine wine, highly praised by Roger Ebert back in the 90's, Mr.Joanou's film has slowly turned to vinegar with age. All the ingredients to make a delicious degustation are in place, with a fine cast, including a pre Pulp Fiction Uma Thurman, as well as a fine machiavelique performance by Kim Bassinger. The movie picks up mid-way, and finally does what thriller is supposed to, make you lean towards the screen.

At the time of Final Analysis's box office release, it was somewhat of a Armegeddon/Deep Impact double featurette, meaning that it had the same sort of scenario, and basis as another movie that came out at exactly the same time. That movie was the infamous Basic Instinct. Sharon Stone's and Kim Bassinger's characters are quite similar, yet the end outcomes of the films are totally different. Skip this film and go buy Basic Instict instead.

The UPS:

3. Cheesy locations including a lighthouse, as well as the
same court room seen in every 90's film

4. The non creditability of the escape from an insane
assylum

5. The over played, badly aged climax.
jazza923
October 22, 2008
Very uneven, the plot is a bit far-fetched and it is overlong, but it does have its moments of suspense as well as some good performances. Professionally made.Tries too hard to be a Hitchcock movie.
Virus
August 21, 2007
Pretty strong performances and solid cinematography can't help this mess of a script. I didn't know or care at times what the hell was going on. Another stinker with Richard Gere.