Final Analysis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Final Analysis Reviews

½ March 12, 2016
Quite a silly film, tries hard to be clever.
January 19, 2016
After recently viewing such erotic thriller classics as "Basic Instinct" and "Wild Things," I've come to the conclusion that melodramatic, sexy psychological thrillers are perhaps my utmost guilty pleasure. I love how over-the-top they are, visually Hitchcockian and dramatically humungous, with a stealthy soundtrack symphonically heightening the untamed emotions of each scene. A couple of sex scenes peppered in and you've got a tale of suspense with multiple extra kicks, so trashy and so sordid that we'd like to call it high entertainment because the entertainment factor is so high.
The mid-1990s were the genre's pinnacle, several trying to imitate the successes of "Fatal Attraction" and "Basic Instinct" most prominently. An early example comes in the shape of "Final Analysis," released just a month before the former. Neurotic and malicious, it has moments of insight, but eventually falls into the trap of over-plotting; it is too fond of the plot twist, forgetting that viewers like to gasp but not so much so that breathing becomes a difficulty. It commences with aptitude only to fly off the rails sometime after Plot Twist #1 is revealed - after that, it becomes an eye-roll of a film, passing itself off as more of a wannabe steamer than a worthy one.
In "Final Analysis," Richard Gere plays Dr. Isaac Barr, a respected psychiatrist currently treating Diana Baylor (Uma Thurman), a young woman suffering from horrific recurring nightmares. It is a case not unlike many that he's already undergone, so things get much more interesting when he is introduced to Diana's sister, Heather Evans (Kim Basinger), a comely blonde trapped in a marriage to a self-loathing gangster (Eric Roberts). It takes Isaac and Heather only a few moments to pursue the considerable chemistry that rests between them, and, before long, a hot and heavy affair consumes their lives.
But, unbeknownst to Isaac, Heather suffers from a disease known as "pathological intoxication," through which a mere sip of alcohol can cause the victim to go completely berserk (we experience it firsthand through one laughable scene in which Heather has a drop of red wine at a fancy restaurant and ends up having a screaming fit that ends in a tackle). So when her husband is found bludgeoned to death, she becomes the prime suspect. But will her instability keep her out of the slammer?
I recall writing a review of Pedro Almodóvar's "Live Flesh" a while back where I discussed the succession of thrillers who try too hard to be sexy and thrilling and dramatic and stylish, but end up awkwardly attempting to combine all characteristics or unevenly spotlighting aspects of each. But I praised "Live Flesh" for doing it all with flashy subtlety - "Final Analysis," unfortunately, is the kind of film that falls under the aforementioned poor succession. It's more risible and self-serious than sensual and suspenseful, certainly under the impression that heavy doses of twists, of turns, equals a complex and smart thriller. But it doesn't feel like a slick game of oneupmanship on the part of its director, Phil Joanou; it feels like a weak Hitchcock tribute. Never are we convinced of what it has to provide, both stylistically (which is sometimes juicily noiry) and story wise.
The leading actors, possessing star personas that would make their inclusion in any film something to behold, seem stranded in a movie dressed up with no place to go. Gere is on auto-pilot, hero 101, if you will, as the film's leading man - his character is thinly written, without much of a personality to make us root for him. Basinger assures us that she's a worthy leading lady early on, but her performance later descends into camp so campy that I'd go so far as to say that she, plain and simply, misfires (but try reading her lines, committing the actions of her character - how effective would you be?). Only Thurman and Roberts are worthy of our time, she a would-be victim with a lot of tricks up her sleeve, he hammy and noticeably masochistic.
But "Final Analysis" is a misstep of a movie, a bad reflection of cinematic trends of the time without the heat and entertainment value of its better counterparts. With all the talent involved, it's hard to see what necessarily went wrong - and yet, it's easy, knowing that confidence can be a dangerous animal. A sure thing can't always be so sure.
May 14, 2015
This movie starts very slow, but ends up being a good movie. It throws a nice twist and a punch which makes it very interesting, great film with suspense and emotions. So for this being another great movies from the 90's and always had this type of movies, I give "Final Analysis" a C.
½ April 6, 2015
These type movies were the rage of the times and this so called thriller is one of the worst.
January 9, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS MOVIE IS THE SOUNDTRACK, BUT MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH......
½ December 17, 2014
A good Neo Noir movie in the tradition of Alfred Hitchcock
½ March 30, 2014
Vieux ! Mais toujours excellent!
March 15, 2014
(53%)
A decent suspense drama with more than a element of Hitchcock about it. The first half hour drags a little but once it gets going it improves, but don't expect too much excitement here.
½ November 12, 2013
The film looks and feels like a Hitchcock thriller, but the noir plot twists become predictable, unnecessarily convoluted, and sometimes maddening.
½ July 23, 2013
Tuesday, July 23, 2013

(1992) Final Analysis
MYSTERY THRILLER

Starring and executive produced by Richard Gere as a shrink Dr. Isaac Barr verbally helping patient Diana Baylor (Uma Thurman). She then convinces him to see her sister since she's just as troubled as much as she is and her name is Diana Baylor played by Kim Basinger. Diane also supposed to have a rare disorder called 'pathological alcohol intoxicator' where if they were to consume any alcohol that they would go into either lapse or physical rage and at the same time forgetting everything they had done. And of course Barr played by Gere, becomes infatuated with Diane and starts to have 'a conflict of interest' by affairs with her even though she is still married to sleaze ball Jimmy Evans (Eric Roberts).

Although, there aren't any cringing moments, much of the people who were killed deserved to be killed which somehow confuses the audience on who to root for since it's 'pathological alcohol intoxicator' side effects are used so pointlessly as if the Gere character is witnessing this too which the ending contradicts the first half of the movie.

2 out of 4 stars
March 29, 2013
A story about a femme fatale and her affair with a dubious psychiatrist, played by Gere, who finds himself involved in double crosses and murder. The film feels like it could have been filmed in the '50's, its only redeeming quality.
February 16, 2013
A psychiatrist has an affair with her patient's sister and becomes embroiled in the murder of her husband. A desperate revisitation of the old noir plot devices with none of the style or charm but with Basinger looking well in her femme fatale role.
October 26, 2012
Good but a little predictable.
September 22, 2012
Richard Gere and Kim Basinger together = *SIZZLE*!
Liked the plot, the actors and the filming locations.
½ June 7, 2012
he former part is relatively slow compared to today's movies and their presence of Richard Gere and Kim Basinger is fully enjoyable.
½ December 29, 2011
Twisty thriller made for a mainstream audience. Whilst the plot is inviting enough, it does have a familiar work through.
December 27, 2011
the twist of the twist of the plot of the plot.
December 19, 2011
A Moody & Visually Stunning Neo-Noir Thriller
TheGame90
½ September 18, 2011
I don't really know what to say....It's a good movie...It have twists and turns that you didn't see coming. But come on....we can all tell it's just a Basic Instinc wanna be (never can be) Like....Richard Gere and Kim Basinger...Is it just me or is that just a cheap rip of of Douglas and Stone? Well as I said....Good movie, good story,good actors. But still...never can be
½ June 14, 2011
Not really what I was expecting, but for a movie of that time it's pretty good, and it's actors certainly help the movie. Has a good story without all the unnecessary special effects of newer movies that I tend to find most new movies spend far too long on rather than the actual story.