The Final Cut - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Final Cut Reviews

½ August 29, 2016
A thriller that is generally devoid of action, it's wooden computers and throwback clothes shows a world favoring the past to the future. It takes on new meaning after William's death.
½ August 4, 2016
Original idea, which is not common in this day and age in my opinion, which is relatively well executed. I find the Robin William's critical comments hard to work out. He plays the deliberately taciturn lead amazingly well.
March 6, 2016
Featuring a truly interesting central idea with many possible directions to go Final Cut considers some of these directions but lacks the focus (and possibly length) to make a truly satisfying film with any of it.
½ March 5, 2016
Great performance by Rob, a thriller by its definition with only a few plot holes and rushed scenes
February 14, 2016
An Excellently well acted Sci-Fi Thriller, with a great script & solid direction.
Robin Williams gives an excellent performance as a man who edits footage from digital memories, to be played as tributes at funerals.
This thriller is a Slow burner, which ultimately builds into a short but tense chase sequence.
A movie that would probably need to be seen 2 Or 3 times to be appreciated properly, as it feels the film would improve after a few viewings.
½ January 15, 2016
Interesting film on the power and deception of our own memories
July 29, 2015
I do not get all the hate for this movie?Williams is oh so creepy and the movie creeps along at a tidy pace,you know what your getting.
February 22, 2015
Liked the concept and thought that the performances were decent but overall I found it to be more dull than suspenseful.
January 31, 2015
Really interesting premise with so much potential that wasn't executed well. This film for me joins a short list of movies where if it were re edited well it might be amazing. This is kind of like a long episode of the twilight zone, there are also a few episodes of "black mirror" that are very similar to this.
January 18, 2015
Though its dialogue may occasionally ring false & indulgent, and its plot exceed its ideas with elements that are never resolved or explored, Naim's science fiction debut is still a commendable and ambitious film. It's beautifully shot, tightly edited and masterfully scored by Brian Tyler who creates the needed ambiance and tension. Also of note is a strong performance from the versatile Williams, who gives depth and emotion to an otherwise one note character.
January 8, 2015
GREAT movie! different role for Williams, but he was spectacular!
November 18, 2014
I like Robin Williams's performance. All in all it's a good movie.
September 26, 2014
i thought it was pretty good
September 17, 2014
THE FINAL CUT is decently acted, but fails to do much with its interesting premise. Basically, in the near future people are able to get implants which record their entire lives. When they die, it is the job of cutters to edit their memories into a film that is shown at their funeral for the benefit of the loved ones they left behind. Robin Williams plays Alan Hakman, one of these cutters. During one of his projects, he comes across a person that he remembers from his past, connected to one of his own troubling memories. He then sets out to find more about this person, all while being pursued/stalked by an anti-implant group who wants to get their hands on the implant he's working on. My initial thoughts on watching this were that something seemed to be missing. It had a great concept (even though it's cobbled together from other, better sci-fi movies), a good cast and it was well-filmed. Still, it only ever broached the moral and ethical questions brought up by this technology, rather than examining them in a meaningful way. Concept aside, this movie was just a bargain-basement thriller. It would have benefited from a longer running time, to truly delve into the material. Instead it opts for a surface-only approach, which cheapens the experience considerably. As far as the world created by the film, I thought it was well-realized. Even though it takes place in the near future, it really doesn't seem like it. Some of the imagery seemed like it would be at home in an H.G. Wells novel, with antique cars and computer systems upholstered with mahogany rather than industry plastic. This served to give the movie a warm, familiar look rather than the cold futurism employed by many a sci-film these days. Even still, the overall sheen of the photography (likely added in post-production) was kind of drab in some spots and looked a little boring, particularly in the flashbacks and implant footage. Performance-wise, Robin Williams and Jim Caviezel do decent work as the protagonist and primary antagonist, respectively. As Robin Williams' Alan is the central character, adequate attention is paid to him, but everyone else felt extremely under-developed. This, of course, is due to the script more than anything else. Just to touch on a couple of other things, there are some logical errors in the film. For instance, it never really indicates how the implants are put into the subjects but apparently one person's implant included footage from their birth. Maybe not a logical error, but it sure was odd. Also, there are three cutter rules spelled out at the beginning but their inclusion was largely unnecessary, save for a couple of brief plot points. Finally, the ending (to me, at least) was a little anti-climactic. I won't spoil anything, but after seeing how things turned out I thought, "Really? That's the best they could come up with?" Still, when all was said and done, Robin Williams has done worse before. Overall it's a watchable, but forgettable, sci-fi movie with some interesting ideas and nothing more.
September 12, 2014
How was I not aware of this movie? And why is it so poorly rated? I thought it was excellent. I only heard of it after Robin Williams' death, and I think it is one of his best movies! It's really pretty poignant, given our current trends with everyone recording everything with their phones, and now Google Glass... this movies explores the next logical step.
September 7, 2014
a amazing film from a first time director
August 31, 2014
Intelligent and thought provoking Sci-Fi Drama. Once again Robin Williams proves successful in a dramatic role. 8/10
August 21, 2014
If this film were being critiqued on concept alone, it would be a 5 out of 5. This film is set in a world with memory implants. Robin Williams plays a cutter who edits people's recorded histories and has the final say on how they will be remembered. Conceptually, this is brilliant and raises some very interesting ethical questions. The down side of the film is that there is too much going on and not enough time is given to fully develop any of the storylines or ideas raised. At one hour and a half hours in length, it spent about 3/4 of the film going into multiple interesting directions only to rush tying everything up by the end. Better development would have made this a more substantial film. As it was, it only scratched the surface of what could have been super, super cool. Definitely a movie worth re-making some day.
½ August 20, 2014
An interesting premise spattered with some slow spots. This movie is definitely not one of Robin Williams' worst and is entirely watchable, though defining a genre or a target audience is rather hard.
½ August 19, 2014
L'histoire d'un métier qui fait froid dans le dos. Un rôle en or pour Robin.