Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Reviews

½ July 25, 2017
Pure eye candy; nothing more, nothing less.
July 24, 2017
While almost having nothing to do with Final Fantasy the video game series (even though having the same development team as the games). This movie has a pretty nice complex scifi theme,really nice animation, cinematography, and nice voice acting. But really gets boring and bland by the second half of the movie and fails with the romance chemistry between the two protagonists.
June 13, 2017
just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 21, 2017
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within's photorealistic animation is groundbreaking and most of it still stands the test of time pretty well. The main protagonist of Aki Ross is wonderfully realized although it saddens me to see that Square's plan to make her the first artificial actress to appear in more than one film didn't work. She only ever left this movie for a small demonstration video before the same studio that made this movie made that amazingly crafted segment "Final Flight of the Osiris" in The Animatrix. Some of the action was decent as well. Sadly the film is a Final Fantasy movie in-name-only as it has so little to do with Final Fantasy. While I know that each of the original games has different characters, with the direct sequels showing the Roman numeral accompanied by the regular numerical format - you know, Final Fantasy X-2? - this one serves as more of a stand-alone film than an actual FF movie. Not even an inside joke relating to one of the other games? Especially considering that Aki doesn't even appear in a Final Fantasy game, neither before nor after the film. Apart from that, the film also has a dull story, an ending which, for me, was disappointingly rushed and a protagonist who doesn't even participate in any of the action sequences. While she is more about intellect and resourcefulness , I'm at least expecting her to shoot some of those Phantom baddies in the face. The film pretty much is as what it is, a PG-13 animated sci-fi flick that has its moments with animation that showed that CG has already come a long way even though the first ever computer-animated film had only been released 6 years ago but overall lacks real emotion. At least you tried with Aki Ross, Square and I'll give you some credit for that.
May 18, 2017
A gorgeous, but otherwise pointless movie that has absolutely nothing to do with Final Fantasy.
April 25, 2017
Very underrated, never got a fair shake because of its title. Had it just been called The Spirits Within I'm sure more western audiences would like it. The story was very cerebral and perhaps too spiritual to grasp for most. The motion capture holds up fairly well and looks very realistic. Visually this film is all around a huge technical achievement to marvel so its a shame it isn't more popular.
½ January 2, 2017
I guess I'm one of the few people that appreciated this film. Solid voice acting, amazing visuals and the story ending may have been predictable, but at least everything in the middle wasn't something you'd already seen out of a dozen other films.
December 30, 2016
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is the directorial debut of Hironobu Sakaguchi who is the creator of Final Fantasy itself, and it stars Ming-Na, Alex Baldwin, James Woods, Donald Sutherland, Ving Rhames, and Steve Buchemi in a computer-animated science fiction about a scientist that has to find the spirits as they think that collecting enough spirits would save the entire world as it's surrounded by enemies called phantoms, but she has to deal with people that don't believe so and think to defeat them has to be violence. I figure since I was playing a bit of Final Fantasy XV, why not watch all of the Final Fantasy films leading up to Kingsglaive? So with that said, let's start with this. The effects to this day look terrific with the background looking realistic, and the creatures looking creative that I'm glad that this type of effects inspire other films to be more 3D to their effects. The acting is decent, and the action sequences can be fun at times. I did like the first 30 minutes of it as the plot for searching for spirits is interesting, but when the villain shows up, the plot starts getting really tired and predictable. We seen this type of plot thousands of times, and the villain himself is only there to make the situation matter worse, and is not memorable enough for me to feel remotely sorry for him, or even think he was necessary enough to be in this film. Not only that however, the characters themselves are forgettable despite high-class actors portraying them, and the main character herself is the only developed one, but even then there's not much for me to really care about. There is actual potential here that really could've worked here as an actual film as this is a different story in the Final Fantasy, even if it doesn't have much to do with the franchise itself, but Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is an ok, but mediocre, film that is more or less what you expect from video game adaptation films.
½ December 22, 2016
The only redeemable thing about this film is the very good visuals.
½ December 5, 2016
87%
Watched this on 05/12/16
Fuck Pixar, fuck Disney, this is a real animation film for the adults and not some crappy, soapy melodrama meant to entertain toddlers. Final fantasy has spectacular animation that hasn't aged a day and it's as good as any other sci-fi fable ever brought to screen. The film has a serious narrative, an original story and I don't know why it puts people down, may be because of the fact that it is an adaptation of a game. The animation is so good, especially that of the leading character Aki. It's a definite delight for ardent fans of sci-fi genre.
November 8, 2016
Great picture, poor ending
½ October 31, 2016
Very underrated, and the best videogame adaptation so far. Its downfall was the fact that it's (on a superficial level) nothing like the game at all... but, that aside, is a fantastic sci-fi movie, with a killer soundtrack, revolutionary animation, and a plot that is much better than what we've been led to believe.
October 12, 2016
Fun watch. Deep movie at times.
August 16, 2016
This film is lacking a soul, and it's religious approach won't sit well with many. Stays bleak with few respites and leads to too many logic questions. Not impressed by the ending.
August 11, 2016
I felt different game and movie. And, I felt good to that found in the majority of sci-fi films.
July 26, 2016
What the hell was this
July 22, 2016
Great cast...gotta see this.
½ June 30, 2016
boring the main voice actress is just awful the story is unnecessarily dumb and confusing the animation is still semi impressive but is starting to become less and less neat
April 3, 2016
While Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within bears no resemblance to the video game series it's based on, the computer animation and visuals are so breathtaking to look at, dull plot or not, this flick looks incredible, but the overall film is just average
½ February 22, 2016
I love video games and animations and sci fi...this wasn't great, maybe because it's like an actual video game that it's slow and not enough dialogue like a game would be...but it's not the greatest sci fi film I've seen