Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Reviews

½ January 2, 2017
I guess I'm one of the few people that appreciated this film. Solid voice acting, amazing visuals and the story ending may have been predictable, but at least everything in the middle wasn't something you'd already seen out of a dozen other films.
December 30, 2016
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is the directorial debut of Hironobu Sakaguchi who is the creator of Final Fantasy itself, and it stars Ming-Na, Alex Baldwin, James Woods, Donald Sutherland, Ving Rhames, and Steve Buchemi in a computer-animated science fiction about a scientist that has to find the spirits as they think that collecting enough spirits would save the entire world as it's surrounded by enemies called phantoms, but she has to deal with people that don't believe so and think to defeat them has to be violence. I figure since I was playing a bit of Final Fantasy XV, why not watch all of the Final Fantasy films leading up to Kingsglaive? So with that said, let's start with this. The effects to this day look terrific with the background looking realistic, and the creatures looking creative that I'm glad that this type of effects inspire other films to be more 3D to their effects. The acting is decent, and the action sequences can be fun at times. I did like the first 30 minutes of it as the plot for searching for spirits is interesting, but when the villain shows up, the plot starts getting really tired and predictable. We seen this type of plot thousands of times, and the villain himself is only there to make the situation matter worse, and is not memorable enough for me to feel remotely sorry for him, or even think he was necessary enough to be in this film. Not only that however, the characters themselves are forgettable despite high-class actors portraying them, and the main character herself is the only developed one, but even then there's not much for me to really care about. There is actual potential here that really could've worked here as an actual film as this is a different story in the Final Fantasy, even if it doesn't have much to do with the franchise itself, but Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is an ok, but mediocre, film that is more or less what you expect from video game adaptation films.
½ December 22, 2016
The only redeemable thing about this film is the very good visuals.
½ December 5, 2016
87%
Watched this on 05/12/16
Fuck Pixar, fuck Disney, this is a real animation film for the adults and not some crappy, soapy melodrama meant to entertain toddlers. Final fantasy has spectacular animation that hasn't aged a day and it's as good as any other sci-fi fable ever brought to screen. The film has a serious narrative, an original story and I don't know why it puts people down, may be because of the fact that it is an adaptation of a game. The animation is so good, especially that of the leading character Aki. It's a definite delight for ardent fans of sci-fi genre.
November 8, 2016
Great picture, poor ending
½ October 31, 2016
Very underrated, and the best videogame adaptation so far. Its downfall was the fact that it's (on a superficial level) nothing like the game at all... but, that aside, is a fantastic sci-fi movie, with a killer soundtrack, revolutionary animation, and a plot that is much better than what we've been led to believe.
October 12, 2016
Fun watch. Deep movie at times.
August 16, 2016
This film is lacking a soul, and it's religious approach won't sit well with many. Stays bleak with few respites and leads to too many logic questions. Not impressed by the ending.
August 11, 2016
I felt different game and movie. And, I felt good to that found in the majority of sci-fi films.
July 26, 2016
What the hell was this
July 22, 2016
Great cast...gotta see this.
½ June 30, 2016
boring the main voice actress is just awful the story is unnecessarily dumb and confusing the animation is still semi impressive but is starting to become less and less neat
April 3, 2016
While Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within bears no resemblance to the video game series it's based on, the computer animation and visuals are so breathtaking to look at, dull plot or not, this flick looks incredible, but the overall film is just average
½ February 22, 2016
I love video games and animations and sci fi...this wasn't great, maybe because it's like an actual video game that it's slow and not enough dialogue like a game would be...but it's not the greatest sci fi film I've seen
February 14, 2016
Tutto sommato un esperimento ben riuscito dal punto di vista della realizzazione e di certo sarà un punto di partenza per chi in futuro vorrà  realizzare dei lungometraggi 3D fotorealistici.

La trama è un po' troppo semplicistica e l'adattamento italiano vi "spoilera" subito che i Phantom sono Fantasmi... :)
November 13, 2015
there is a reason why this the only video game movie to get a high rating it may not be like the video game we know from final Fantasy but it's a movie thats good on its own
November 6, 2015
Anyone else wondering where the chocobos are? Nevertheless the swords and other paraphernalia and lore that goes hand in hand with the RPG universe of Final Fantasy? I'll tell you where... No where. Why? It seems clear to me this movie wasn't made for Final Fantasy, but to push the lies and ideas of belief in Gaia and in pantheism spirituality that can not save. So millions of FF fans went and saw this crap and had their heads filled with false ideas, albeit, while wondering, "Where are the chocobos?" I first saw this film as a teen in the 90's when it hit theatres, and I must say, the CGI is INCREDIBLE for the time. But still, that can't change what this movie really was. And it also wasn't that enticing to watch and had a blandness to it throughout, in spite of so many big name actors doing voices. No need to watch again.
October 16, 2015
Just to see how bad it is!
August 13, 2015
I wouldn't normally review it with a perfect score, but I stand the critic Ebert here. This film is great, and while it's plot has some weaker points, I think it's still great. Most of the complaints feel unfounded here and it's a beautiful film. To paraphrase the main character in "Life is Strange" despite what everyone says, it is one of my favorite science fiction films ever.
½ July 10, 2015
Neither in the spirit of the video games nor entertaining in its own right.