Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Reviews

• Jun 12, 2021

In one sense, as an auguring of the lifelessly smooth CGI monotony to come, this is less a final fantasy than it is a first nightmare—though in another sense, as the endpoint of and capitulation to capitalism's unimaginative fixation with hyperrealism, the movie signifies the end of cinematic fantasy as such.

• Mar 11, 2021

Way ahead of it's time. A japanese IP making its way into hollywood and paving the way to get out of the uncanny valley. Verry good effort and an important piece of CG history.

• Feb 01, 2021

nada que ver con FF.

nada que ver con FF.

• Oct 16, 2020

Despite the circle jerk of negativity aimed at this film for daring to stray from conventional nerd fanfare, it remains one of the most impressive examples of CGI cinema. Featuring an impressive team of voice acting, beautiful visuals, & eerie sci-fi atmospheres, its more than just eye candy. Don't be detoured by angry incels, dive in & enjoy.

• Sep 16, 2020

I thought I would find this a hard movie to like once it became clear near the beginning that the vaunted CGI had become dated, but I found myself engrossed in the plot, which was slightly easier than other sci-fi movies to understand. While the character models weren't very impressive the other special effects were, particularly the explosions and sweeping establishing shots. The best part of the movie by a wide margin was the film score; I find Goldenthal's wiki to make him out to be a bit snobbish and full of himself, but he really knocked it out of the park with this one and I fully agree with other reviewers that he should've netted an Oscar nomination for this.

• Aug 05, 2020

This was and still remains a milestone, an impressive leap forward in CG animation. That gimmick aside, it's still just as dull and convoluted as the day it premiered though. There's some cool ideas, and great design, but it's just a slog to get through...

• Jul 10, 2020

When you talk about Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, you have to start by discussing the animation style. I still remember quite well when this movie was advertised for its release in theaters, because people were talking about how the CGI is getting so close to real life that at some point we won’t need actors any more. Looking at it now, it was hard not to laugh at those memories, because this looks so cartoony and falls deep into the uncanny valley. Seeing this actually comforts me, because people still talk about how computers will make actors obsolete someday, and I realize that (in 20 years) even things like the masterful de-aging stuff that Marvel is doing in their films, will probably look just as artificial as this movie. The look of the film is not something I ever got over, to be honest. Every second of action looks strange because it has elements of realism, but then strays far from it when you look at it for more than a few moments. In many ways, it feels just like a video game. If that’s what they were going for, since this is based on a game, then perhaps they nailed it. As for the plot of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, it is kind of like a FIfth Element story that I’ve seen before. It has engaging characters, and they got some good voice talent. I found the idea of these alien creatures to be a bit inconsistent, because sometimes they were vanquished with nothing more than a single shot, and other times they couldn’t be stopped. Also, they were treated as such a danger in the first scene because they could become invisible, and yet that seemed to be an advantage they completely abandoned for the big climax. The way the characters used words like “ghosts” and “spirits” and “phantoms” all felt a little strange. You could certainly see the environmental message behind the story, but equating it all to “spirits” seemed odd. I’ll admit that I’ve never played a single second of any Final Fantasy game, so perhaps this is all second-nature to fans of the property, but it didn’t work all that well for me. I was not bored or annoyed in any way by Final Fantasy: The Spirits WIthin, but I also wasn’t exactly inspired or intrigued by it either.

• Jul 02, 2020

Now that the animation is dated you have had more exciting naps.

Now that the animation is dated you have had more exciting naps.

• Jun 10, 2020

Honestly, it's a good movie... If you ignore the words "Final Fantasy". For real, watch it again, and just block out those two words. As a kid, I had my dad rent it because of the name, but when I watched it, I hated it because it wasn't Final Fantasy. Having watched it again just last year, now well into my late twenties, and it's a fairly solid film. The visuals for the time were great, though they don't exactly hold up to modern CGI. The acting is decent as well, and while the story is a bit of a mess, it's not incoherent. Is it a great movie? No, there are better sci-fi movies out there. Is it bad? No, it's a fairly enjoyable watch.

• Jun 03, 2020

Visually stunning for it's day. Final Fantasy took full advantage of CG animation that was available at the time. That's the only good thing I can say about this movie though. It made absolutely no sense at all. And before you try to say it's because I just didn't get it.... um... you're wrong. I didn't get it because it made absolutely no sense at all.