Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Reviews

• Jun 26, 2019

This movie, to be described simply, is for the fans. Big fan of FFVII and want to see their story continue? This is the movie for you! For the casual watcher, this movie will probably be seen as garbage, and rightfully so. The English dub is rather unwatchable (unless you've been watching/hearing them for years) and there is no lip-syncing done. The fight scenes are quite glorious, but there's no context for the characters besides the "they're our friends" portion, and there's no context for the entire movie in general, excluding the beginning. previous context for the entire movie is made at all, excluding the very vague beginning. For the new viewer, this movie is quite honestly shit. But. As a long time fan (like me)? This movie is excellent. It continues the story I've been loving for as long as I can remember, giving me so many little things that were in the game that I could see and recognize and love. It's a movie where, if you love this story, you can overlook the movie's flaws. It's a movie where there's no time to waste hating on the things that are a part of something you love as a whole, and that's what makes me love this movie so much. It's a movie for the fans, for the people that love Final Fantasy VII, and I, for one, will come back to this movie for years to come.

• Jun 26, 2019

If you liked final fantasy VII, you'll almost certainly like this. Just don't watch the dub.

• Jun 08, 2019

Spectacular. Even after all this time it impresses me more and more.

Spectacular. Even after all this time it impresses me more and more.

• May 17, 2019

It's a pretty fantastical and out there story, but that's what makes it great. At times it can be confusing because it doesn't take time to explain anything, but the fast pace does at least keep it exciting while still managing to give insight into the characters. If you're a fan of over the top action animes such as Naruto and Sword Art Online, this is for you.

• May 16, 2019

Great animation Especially for when this was made and excellent action scenes and voice acting

• May 09, 2019

Final Fantasy fanboys will undoubtedly inflate the ratings, but I have yet to see a film that left me feeling as empty as this one did. The animation is superb, but everything else is garbage. The pacing is incoherent and weirdly feels rushed while also leaving one feeling as if nothing happened. The English voice dubbing is atrocious, and the Japanese dubbing is lackluster. When the movie jumps from action sequence to action sequence, the best the creators could do was an anime-by-numbers pastiche of cliches. The characters are empty vessels with a nonsensical plot and exposition just happening around them and propelling them forward. This movie is a textbook example of the worst elements from anime and the worst elements of film adaptations of games and should be skipped by anyone who is unwilling to actually hold it up to the regular standards of film instead of swallowing whatever product comes out with the name Final Fantasy tacked onto it.

• Feb 24, 2019

The original version leaves more questions than answers, however, the Complete version is so much better. Bigger fights, better action and it answers questions like, "Who is Denzel and how did Cloud and Tifa come to take him in?" It's answered in the Complete version very nicely. Also the climax fight with Sephiroth is much more enjoyable with a better final assault, combined with a nice pep talk from an old friend. If you're a fan of this series then it's definitely worth watching.

• Dec 11, 2018

This is a good movie to show what happens after the events of VII as they left it in the air for the most part and the animations are ascetically pleasing

• Apr 14, 2018

After watching the horrendous "Spirits Within" movie, I decided to give Final Fantasy another chance and watched Advent Children Complete. Bad idea! This movie was not as bad as Spirits Within, but it was still a waste of time. Square Enix decided to ruin the characters of FF7 by turning Cloud into a whiny, broody, annoying twit that can't do anything for himself. He leeches off of Tifa then picks up a stray kid (and don't get me started on how much I hate new kids added to stories), dumps him off on Tifa and runs away, leaving Tifa to juggle being a single mom to 2 kids, running a business, paying off Cloud's motorcycle and caring for a terminally ill kid. They turned the once-badass Turk Reno into a bumbling idiot as well. Additionally, they bring back characters that are supposed to be dead! What was the point of killing off Aerith if she apparently can just come back and be amongst the living whenever she pleases and gets in the way of Cloud moving on? She is dead! She need to stay dead! The plot is just ridiculous. Sephiroth comes back along with some remnants, a bunch of kids and Cloud get a terminal illness and the holy, overly powerful, god-like Mary Sue Aerith is the only being that has the cure and saves the day. (She was an ass, however, and let a bunch of kids suffer and die cause she didn't give up the cure until Cloud forgave himself). Oh and Zack comes back from the dead too and gives Cloud the strength to defeat Sephiroth. I only added an extra star because of the fight scene with Tifa and Loz. Tifa gives someone with the strength of Sephiroth a good ass whooping without even needing a weapon! Basically, you should fast forward this movie until the Tifa vs. Loz fight then turn it off as soon as the fight ends.

• Mar 20, 2018

As a standalone film, Advent Children is a confusing mess of characters compelled to engage in incredibly well choreographed fights. As a companion piece it's passable, though original game director Yoshinori Kitase's departure is sorely felt, with character designer Tetsuya Nomora showing himself to be a poor replacement.