Finding Amanda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Finding Amanda Reviews

December 18, 2010
THIS MOVIE IS AWFUL. The whole movie he tries to find her to help her change her life around, and in the end...NOTHING changed. He hasnt changed yet, and she goes on the screw up her life still. Completely pointless
xxdebxx
November 21, 2010
A somewhat-recovering drug user/drinker/ gambling addict Taylor (Matthew Broderick) hoping to redeem himself in the eyes of his fed-up wife (Maura Tierney) takes a trip to Vegas to ostensibly "rescue" his niece Brittany Snow (the titular Amanda) from a life of prostitution and instead heads straight for the casino, after having promised his wife that the trip was "NOT" about gambling. He soon discovers that bubbly and cheerful Amanda is deliriously happy with her life of prostitution and living with her leech of a boyfriend (Peter Facinelli) who cheats on her. Also starring Steve Coogan as a sleazy casino host who becomes Taylor's chief enabler! The main theme of the movie is denial - all characters lie to each other and especially to themselves about almost every respect of their lives.

This movie is described as a comedy but I actually found it kind of sad as our main character is sliding down a slippery slope, even as he pounds down drinks on the casino floor and is eventually cut off from his cash source by the Coogen and Amanda seems far too happy and carefree to be a person from a traumatic background; it seems the actual horrors of prostitution-drug addiction, abuse, poverty hasn't afflicted her.
½ November 10, 2010
pretty good! also very funny!
October 28, 2010
Funny with a great cast. Currently on Showtime.
October 12, 2010
Amateur and pretty weak, only momentarily landing any bold or funny moments. Its overall below-average style is evidenced right out of the gate by hangdog cliché-indulgence and by the lame, procedural hitting of plot points. Then, in the main "finding Amanda" storyline (whoa -- interesting title, dude!), Matthew Broderick's character grasps vainly for some interesting Leaving Las Vegas profundity and fumbles it hardcore.
October 8, 2010
Finding Amanda is an interesting film.
A troubled man comes to try to help his niece who?s probably just as troubled as he is. It?s a somewhat interesting story of how the broken tries to help the broken. And all of these is done in a comedic fashion.
September 2, 2010
Broderick has done better he should be embarassed for starring in this piece of shit
August 20, 2010
well, isn't this special???
½ August 3, 2010
i thought this was hilarious. matthew broderick just cracked me up the whole time with all of his sarcastic banter. "why don't you just cut off my balls?" "here, use this." hahaha! i was dying. and loved brittany snow as usual with her precious self.
LWOODS04
May 29, 2010
CAST: Matthew Broderick, Maura Tierney, Brittany Snow, Peter Facinelli

SUMMARY: A television producer with a penchant for drinking and gambling is sent to Las Vegas to convince his troubled niece to enter rehab.

MY THOUGHTS: "It was much funnier then I had expected it to be. The topics are pretty heavy, but talked about in a dark humor kind of way that makes the issues less serious then what they really are. I guess if you want to find humor in prostitution, gambling, and alcoholism then this is the movie for you. I will say in the end he does say some deep meaningful words to her and that's when it's not so funny anymore. The ending is what I expected and predicted it would be. So see this for a good laugh if nothing else. Matthew Broderick was funny, and Brittany Snow really made the Uncle and Niece relationship extra special awkward. Good rent for a lazy day."
May 28, 2010
Interesting story made into a very average movie.
½ May 28, 2010
Poios o logos na giristei akoma den katalava....
May 5, 2010
On the movie's premise alone, it can score a 4 out of 5. Matthew's character is somewhat of a funny one since although he's married, he's the breadwinner of the family in that he is a television producer, but he lies to his wife of his addictions, being currently gambling. And he never carries around a credit card or cash I think it was, as his wife handles the finances. :) He's just such a character in that he doesn't do anything wrong, except gamble too much, but then he makes a lot so he can afford it.

He later finds out that his 20 year old niece is a prostitute, and that she's living in Las Vegas, the home of gambling in the U.S. What a double whammy for him, eh? Although he's fighting with his wife over his gambling, he drives himself to Vegas to "help his niece" get into rehab for her addictions, which his wife and her sister also think include drugs. And when he first meets her in Las Vegas, she has her back to him and turns around and says "Hey stud", and then realizes it is her uncle. Now if that isn't funny, what is? :)

Throughout the rest of the movie, you notice how each of them has their own problems and her uncle does help her a little bit, but in the end, Amanda still is the rebel and goes her own way. And Matthew's character, does the right thing in the end. Let's just say that you gotta watch the movie and it will be one you'll get a few laughs at.
April 9, 2010
A gambling addicted uncle, and a niece who's all into working as a hooker. Maybe you think that it could mix up into some kind of a dark humor style in it, like an indie for example; well you're wrong.

I have to say that Finding Amanda had very little significance in general. It started off as if it could have been an interesting and entertaining movie. But overall, it blows all it's chances away. It became boring; making no sense at all. I don't recommend it to anyone.
½ April 3, 2010

March 1, 2010
bad story, acting, the only good thing about the movie was brittany snows performance, i thought she was great in it, still skip it though, just weird
½ February 13, 2010
I don't really know why, but this movie has provoked more thought for me than I ever expected it would. Overall, I liked the movie, and although there are some aspects of the plot that seemed either unnecessary (like the Ecstasy) or ultimately unresolved (like his job), I was still intrigued by the films examination of Taylor and Amanda's lives. While I sometimes got the feeling the filmmakers couldn't decide if they wanted to be funny or serious, I felt that the film had something to say about a variety of social ills, particularly addiction, and how people must be willing to change if any serious transformation is to occur for them.
½ January 24, 2010
When did Matthew Broderick settle in to sad sack roles? I guess he?s been playing these for a while, but he was great in Glory and was supposed to be the iconic ?cool kid? in Ferris Bueller. But I guess it?s because he?s been great in movies like Election (great movie, of course), The Night We Never Met (unsung gem), Addicted to Love (another unsung gem), and The Producers (I guess not sad sack, but kind of). He so understated in other roles that it?s either great acting or empty writing. This movie has an interesting storyline and funny situations, but it plays out a little tepid.

Broderick is great and the girl is also pretty good. But the movie seems like it borders on slapstick when it is wholly rooted on real world humor. Still, it is entertaining enough with good humorous spots, but never really carries over the mood. It?s worth a watch, as it?s still better than 75% of the comedies out there. And Broderick just does this role better than just about everyone. But can you imagine him in a movie role like Moon (though Rockwell was perfect for that role)? I can see him in it, and not being bad at it. Give him a chance.
January 19, 2010
Good movie, unexpected ending, and I did not expect to see Peter Facinelli in it. :)