Finding Joe Reviews

August 17, 2013
An excellent presentation of the way life works, showing the cycle everyone goes through many times in life.
½ August 16, 2013
If you're not a Joseph Campbell geek - this is a great introduction to the concept of the Hero's Journey (monomyth). I really enjoyed the narrative style and the story-telling elements that run through the film.
August 13, 2013
This is a great documentary about the Hero's Journey and how we see it show up in literature and films throughout history. I suggest it to any man who finds himself looking at his inner demons or trying to elevate himself to a higher plane of existence.
May 6, 2013
I'm a Leadership & Executive coach and this video is simply priceless! Great reflection resource!
June 20, 2012
I saw the film and thought that it had a good message; however, it could have been better balanced by including experiences shared by women and Blacks. There were three women commentators (one woman was bi-racial who looked white) and I believe two, Blacks who appeared as window dressing. Most of the content (experiences that supported the film) was conveyed by white males. If the writer/producer of the film really wanted to reach a broader audience, why wasn't he more inclusive? It is difficult to believe, that creators/artists don't give consideration to the issue of balance (inclusiveness); unless they intentionally meant to exclude certain groups for a reason... just a thought. The film was screened by a group of Black men (100%). There was a mixed audience, but the target group was Black males. As I watched the film, the omission of women and Blacks stood out like a sore thumb. :o(. I give it three stars for message and one star for sensitivity.
March 19, 2012
Vital for theists and atheists alike; especially egocentric men in positions of power.
January 10, 2012
I saw the movie twice when it was showing in Seattle and I just ordered the DVD. I've been reading Joseph Campbell's work for over 30 years and I believe that Finding Joe is simply the best synthesis of his work to date. True, the movie doesn't have high production values, but the message is clear and compelling. Thanks to Mr. Solomon and the crew for making Campbell's work accessible to a large audience.
December 21, 2011
I hadn‚??t heard of Joseph Campbell prior to seeing ‚??Finding Joe‚?? but after watching the movie, and being inspired, I‚??m looking more closely at his work. His quotes resonant with me on a spiritual and intellectual level. There are quite a few that stand out like: ‚??The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.‚?? ‚??It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.‚?? And ‚??Follow your bliss,‚?? which is a staple of the documentary. The film‚??s incredible message is perpetuated by these quotes and commentary by a wide variety of professionals and others inspired by Joseph Campbell‚??s teachings. Deepak Chopra, Mick Fleetwood, Akiva Goldsman, Catherine Hardwicke and Tony Hawk are just a few of the people who offer their insight into the hero‚??s journey.
On a technical level, the film is beautiful. The cinematography is breath-taking. Each shot was clearly calculated and executed. For a documentary, the resolution is astounding. So it was aesthetically pleasing to watch ‚??Finding Joe.‚?? The running metaphor of a separate narrative was also very clever and well-executed.
On a more personal level, I really connected with the film and its message. It‚??s one of those movies that ignites epiphanies, because everyone can relate to the film‚??s concept. All of the speakers in the film act as mentors and the audience members are mentees. The people in the film expand on Joseph Campbell‚??s philosophies and in doing so relay the message that everyone needs to hear: ‚??Follow your bliss.‚??
Joseph Campbell was an extraordinary man who continues to inspire people and, with the help of this documentary, will continue to inspire people.
December 21, 2011
I am a huge Joseph Campbell fan and after watching Finding Joe I love him even more. This movie is a great tribute to the man that founded the universality of the "journey of the hero" and how it has deeply affected many different people. Being able to apply that journey to your own life is necessary for happiness. Being an English Literature major especially, I was really able to connect with this movie. Great cinematography as well!
December 20, 2011
I was lucky enough to have seen this documentary and loved it. The cinematography was phenomenal-- and I don't even usually notice these things but Solomon showcases his shots without ever taking attention away from the heart of the documentary-- its message. Using the Hero's Journey as a foundation for the message, Finding Joe delves into the workings of the Hero's Journey, the steps, and cycles, and ultimately brings it back to the earthly realm and how we could apply it to our own lives. With an extensive list of interviewees from Deepak Chopra to Tony Hawk, this documentary is enriched with their life experiences. This documentary flipped some switches on inside of me and really helped me take notice of my life's track... and that, to me, is invaluable.
December 20, 2011
I was lucky enough to have seen this documentary and loved it. The cinematography was phenomenal-- and I don't even usually notice these things but Solomon showcases his shots without ever taking attention away from the heart of the documentary-- it's message. Using the Hero's Journey as a foundation for the message, Finding Joe delves into the workings of the Hero's Journey, the steps, and cycles, and ultimately brings it back to the earthly realm and how we could apply it to our own lives. With an extensive list of interviewees from Deepak Chopra to Tony Hawk, this documentary is enriched with their life experiences. This documentary flipped some switches on inside of me and really helped me take notice of my life's track... and that, to me, is invaluable.
½ October 2, 2011
It's the "morning after" and the positive message from Finding Joe is still in my head ... no, make that ... my Heart. I am pleased to have found another film that meets the positive standard of Education, Enlightenment and Entertainment. It makes you want to buy the DVD to serve as an inspirational reminder of the ability we have to "follow our bliss" no matter what. It could easily be called a "Hero's" movie for these "Dragon" times.