Fingers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fingers Reviews

March 1, 2009
Toback has always been one of the most unique voices in American film history. I usually find even his failed films (Exposed, The Pick Up Artist) to still contain so much value in dialog and form that they still demand a watch every now and then. I will say that "Fingers" is one of the finest debut films for any American director in the 1970s. Keitel gives you his all in this very intense portrait of a debt collector who is being torn apart from the inside out. Jacques Audiard's remake, "The Beat That My Heart Skipped" doesn't fall too far from the intent of Toback's original script and is also worth a look mostly due to Romain Duris' excellent portrayal of the main character. " Fingers" is not difficult to find and a film you will want to see again.
February 6, 2009
Harvey Keitel was a dirty, dirty man long before Bad Lieutanant. Here he plays a small-time gangster who dreams of becoming a concert pianist. The fun is, he won't even consider doing a reform to accomplish this. In fact, he plays a lot better when he does despicable things. The movie starts as a love letter to all sorts of music. Has a slightly misogynist world view. My favorite fingers in this one belong to the doctor who shoves them up Keitel's ass.
February 4, 2009
Great movie with great cast!! Not to be missed!
January 6, 2009
Even though he's made nothing but crap as of late, I still consider Harvey Keitel my favorite actor, this movie being one of the reasons why. There are weak performances by some of the supporting cast, and it borders on exploitation at times, but this movie deserves a lot more attention than it's gotten.
December 13, 2008
Not sure why there's such a cult status attached to this. Found it somewhat dull in too many places.
½ December 11, 2008
Spike Lee totally stole the Radio Raheem character from this movie.
September 10, 2008
Fingers is a spiritual head-fuck! It provides necessary feedback on the duel citizenship between flesh and inner turmoil. Keitel is better in Bad Lieutenant, but he's so immersed as Jimmy Fingers, a man torn between family and artistic integrity. Slowly, bit by bit, he's consumed with the ills of society and his own shortcomings, and it's so fucking tragic! Toback, directing his first script after he sold the superb rights to The Gambler (with James Caan) is as much aloof as he is there. This is what gives the film it's raw, indie feel. It's not a testament of technical adherence, but the journey of Keitel's character, and especially his performance, is one of compliance to the cause. Fingers is probably better now than it was then, and is so good it has been remade by the French. De battre mon coeur s'est arréte' (The Beat My Heart Skipped (2005)). Nothing short of superb!
July 29, 2008
Had a profound effect on me. I still can't get this out of my head. Anyone who digs James Toback is cool in my book.
½ July 23, 2008
Virkilega góð mynd með frábærum leik frá Harvey Keitel. Ein flottasta persónusköpun frá leikara sem ég hef séð. Ekta 70's low budget anti mainstream mynd með mögnuðu lokaatriði. Mæli virkilega með henni.
½ May 22, 2008
One of my favorite James Toback films and favorite Harvey Keitel performances second to "Bad Lieutenant". The French remake is really good too. It's like the American film tried to be FRench and the French films tried to be American. This one is better!!
May 17, 2008
check out Jim Brown pretty much playing himself
½ April 14, 2008
I wasn't sure how I felt about this movie at first, since it seemed like a late New Hollywood Scorsese rip-off, but I found myself slowly beginning to get into this film. The story of a man who is trapped between two worlds - that of a concert pianist and a mobster is truly an interesting story. Harvey Keitel is fantastic in this film as a jittery piano savant who collects unpaid money for his father. The cinematography and gritty feel of New York City are amazing and the performances are nuanced and realistic. This movie came around a bit too late and feels a bit too much like a copy-cat of 70s style to be classified as one of the greats, but it really deserves a look as it truly is a different kind of movie - a starkly personal film that doesn't rely on simply blood and guts, but human drama to propel the story - and this is certainly the kind of movie that just isn't made any more.
April 9, 2008
Keitel plays a sensitive, womanizing mafia collector in Tobak's debut film. Heavily criticized on it's release, it has thankfully gained a cult audience thanks to people rediscovering it when Keitel got big again in the early 90s. A must see for fans of American seventies cinema and it's also nice to see Tisa Farrow playing opposite of someone who's not a zombie in an Italian horror film (not saying that I don't love those films as well).
½ February 14, 2008
Keitel is a raging loan collector and a sensitive, love struck concert pianist? It doesn't get much better than this. An ultra subtle/explosive performance by Keitel; unfortunately, the other cast members are like cartoon characters of gangster/hoods. Such poor acting really hurts the highly character driven plot.
½ January 11, 2008
Harvey Keitel as a piano prodigy who carries a ghetto basters around w/ him like a narrative who has some performance anxiety & collects debets for his old man. Solid and overlooked
January 2, 2008
Highlighted by a pseudo-orgy with Jim Brown.
½ January 1, 2008
I guess this is kind of like the new wave thing over again, some French guy remakes an American movie and it's better. Same thing here. Aside from Keitel being slightly more sleazy than the lead in the Beat My Heart is Skipped, I gotta say the latter is a far, far better film. If there hadn't been any James Brown nipple sucking, I might have been okay with it.
½ December 30, 2007
maybe shocking for 1878 but slow and plodding.
December 29, 2007
toback's mean streets. bizarrely under-the-radar movie. compelling character study of violent pianist. and so, so strange. keitel's raging bull.
½ December 3, 2007
Mitt hjärtas förlorade slag var bra om än lite överskattad. Detta original är faktiskt bättre. John Sirico som spelar Paulie i Sopranos har en biroll.