Fingers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fingers Reviews

November 26, 2007
I loved the French remake The Beat That My Heart Skipped (very unconventional to have a European remake of an American failure), and am intrigued to see what this is like. Love the poster art.
November 18, 2007
better than two girls and a guy. but man, better to waste Downey than Keitel.
November 15, 2007
Whether it's intended as a gritty psychodrama, an exploration of performance anxiety in musicians, or a sick sex comedy, it's fascinating stuff.
November 8, 2007
Explains why 'Summertime, Summertime' is the musically most inventive song of 1958 in a very eloquent way.
October 31, 2007
very good film. im not a toback fan but i think fingers is his best one yet. keitel is great in this movie he's a pro at playing these rolls just as he did in "who's that knocking..." jim brown is awesome. very cool and slick with the ladies.
½ September 28, 2007
Deeply haunting character study portrayed in such an excellent manner by Harvery Keitel.
September 19, 2007
a tour de force keitel
developed a cult following over the years
September 15, 2007
After searching for several years, I came across this purely by accident in a local supermarket and was pleasantly surprised. Harvey Keitel is supurb as usual and a mob enforcer/classical pianist(!). To reveal more here would spoil much.
½ September 11, 2007
produced by Brut. Yes the fragrance.
August 22, 2007
Toback is probably a pretty fucked up dude. This is good but it has that feeling of a director who fucked over a lot of people to ensure this got made...vague but that's the only way I can think to describe it
½ August 20, 2007
One of many titles I picked up at a Big Lots because people said it was good and it was naturally cheap at such a locale. An odd film; it is mentioned by Entertainment Weekly, apparently, as one of the top 25 mob movies ever. Frankly, I find that weird.
While crime and even organized crime is involved in this film...they really aren't the point.
The movie is about Jimmy "Fingers" Angelelli, pianist and "collector" for his father.
He's got a boombox he carries around everywhere, usually playing music from the 50s and 60s (such as the Chiffons), which occasionally causes conflicts with those around him. He goes from trying to live up to his mother--a concert pianist--to trying to live up to his father--a loan shark.
He's not all that great at either, nor is he absolutely wonderful with women, suffering a condition that makes it difficult for him without violence. Keitel, of course, is the reason I picked the film up--yes, Harvey Keitel as Jimmy.
An excellent performance, as per usual for Keitel, and as well by Michael V. Gazzo as his father. A great soundtrack and some well-filmed shots throughout.
However, it suffered, to me, from a weak script--once dialogue got burning, it crackled, but in early scenes, and especially in love and sex scenes, it suffered visibly. The first few minutes are intensely awkward, and feel like a pretentious film as characters ask absurd, stupid, general, vague questions and take forever to answer each other. This, of course, highlights the other flaw--the editing/pacing. The story and characters are interesting (insofar as there is a story) and the performances excellent, but they're strung out, and occasionally underwritten.
Still, it comes to a pretty cohesive end, and the parts that work really work.
August 8, 2007
Pretty scattershot, but features a great performance by Keitel.
August 7, 2007
a very peculiar and great film starring the always amazing harvey keitel.
½ August 6, 2007
More classic Keitel! Also an early appearance from Tony Sirico(paulie from sopranos).Old school.
½ August 3, 2007
One of Keitel's best roles. I've got one of my nicknames from the title character.
July 19, 2007
I love this film. Keitel is great in it. I love the style of the picture and I'm sure a lot of people can relate to trying to please their family. If your a harvey keitel fan, this is a must see.
July 14, 2007
I didnt expect this film to be as dark and incredible as it is. Keitel amazes me. If you enjoy 'crime' 'mob' movies, check this out. It has a very gritty edge, one of a kind.
June 4, 2007
A great film, very unusual and an acquired taste but a forgotten 70s classic.
February 18, 2007
kool as i want 2 see dis. i want 2 see every movie in da wole wide world of course im a movie lover