Fire in the Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fire in the Sky Reviews

February 2, 2015
I watched this as a teenager, I was scared! I had to sleep with my light on. I think it's the best 'Alien Abduction' film about.
½ August 10, 2014
I don't really believe in little green men but I enjoyed the movie and hope one day it makes its way to bluray
August 2, 2014
As an eerie and somewhat disturbing abduction story, this film is great, but as a compelling, artfully crafted cinematic piece, this film falls behind lines.
June 14, 2014
Its questionable wherever I should like this film or not. It contains an intressting premise, some good tension/build-up stuff, and some mediocre acting, storytelling, directing and a me-he score to be rather misspread throughout.
½ June 1, 2014
I've always like "In Search of..." types of conspiracy stories around UFOs, bigfoots and other mysteries of the unexplained. This film jumped on the X-Files bandwagon, but it doesn't quite come off. The set-up had potential, taking one of the most famous UFO abduction cases and casting the film with some quality actors including D.B. Sweeney, Robert Patrick, Craig Sheffer, Peter Berg, Henry Thomas, James Garner and Kathleen Wilhoite (who always seems to be selling babies on TV crime dramas). You even have a good score by Mark Isham and sharp photography by Bill Pope. Unfortunately, takes an interesting case and adds unnecessary sensationalism (and fabrication) to what could have been an interesting story that presents the fact of the case and let the audience decide the truth. The filmmakers choice to present the abduction as fact, rather than something that is in question or uncertain, loses an element of mystery that could have given the film an added level of intrigue. There are good performances in the film, particularly by Robert Patrick, but the film really comes off as a missed opportunity. The X-Files told this type of story much better.
½ March 13, 2014
I actually really like this movie. This film gives the malevolent perspective on extraterrestrials and alien abduction based on actual event. You see the little alien greys in this movie with a bit of a cyborg-like characteristic. Demonic-like resemblance. These sure weren't the Pleiadians...
½ January 14, 2014
This movie is based on Travis Walton's real life story. It tells the story nicely and the characters are very good overall but the "bad guys" screen time is too short! I wonder if the Amazon Prime version was edited...Anyway, it is still a good movie.
January 14, 2014
Considering the director predominantly works in television, this is a pretty decent alien abduction movie with the added spice it's based on real events.
½ December 9, 2013
What!?! This movie is basically about two friends who go through a tough time together. Out of the 105min runtime, you see the "alien abduction" for about 10min of it! Ripoff! It doesn't help that basically nothing else happens for the rest of the movie, and it has a lame ending. Robert Patrick's certainly done better. Not passable as an alien film, and barely passable as a drama.
½ December 4, 2013
Super creepy abduction tale based on an alleged true story. I remember being horrified as a child seeing this film, almost as eerie decades later. Story is iffy but this filmed greatly profited off the assumption of its truthfulness. That alone should be enough to entertain.
½ November 12, 2013
We're not allowed that's for sure.
October 26, 2013
Excellent true story !!!
½ October 25, 2013
While it drags at some parts, and the acting is far from stellar, Fire in the Sky is still an interesting, intense movie, that has a scene I won't forget soon.
August 23, 2013
Just so we all remember that scene on the alien spaceship - probably the most frightening thing to ever come out of mainstream Hollywood.
½ July 22, 2013
Pretty scary sci-fi/horror film, partly thanks to the intense sequence inside the alien ship with the ugly ETs and their disturbing probes. It goes vastly beyond what one should expect from a movie like this.
½ July 16, 2013
Scary as all hell for a person who's number 1 fear is aliens. Having said that, never show the alien in an alien film.
½ June 19, 2013
One Of The Most Intense Alien Encounter Scenes Ever Filmed--Powerful stuff!!
½ June 16, 2013
This movie had a Made for TV feel about it. It was non memorable and not very scary. It could have had more depth to the story. Scarier moments. The town thinks the friends are lying about their friend's disappearance. The guy suddenly shows up, then has a few flashbacks about what happened to him during his abduction by the aliens. That's it!!
½ May 21, 2013
An alien picture that, for most of its running time, is actually a drama about being a pariah in a small town; competently made and acted, yet also dry and very skimpy on the sci-fi elements. It left me mostly indifferent though not hostile; yet the two major set pieces of the crew's first encounter with the alien craft and Travis's nightmarish experience on board the craft rank among the best the alien abduction genre has to offer.
Cameron W. Johnson
½ May 13, 2013
"Smoke on the water and fire in the sky", or rather, "Fire in the sky, can't you see that all my castles are burning?" Obvious song references aside (Oh yeah, like you would be able to resist), this film's title is awesome, and certainly more so than the title of the book upon which it's based, "The Walton Experience", which sounds like some kind of theme park based on Earl Hamner, Jr.'s "The Waltons" or something. Man, that would be the least amusing amusement park around, because all it would be would be an immersive recreation of the Great Depression era, so I reckon I'll just stay at home and experience this film, and by that, I mean watch it, because being abducted and experimented on by extraterrestrials doesn't sound too much more fun than the aforementioned Depression era recreation, or at least it doesn't to me. Robert Patrick, on the other hand, must have really gotten into this kind of stuff after this, possibly getting in "The X-Files" and, I don't know, "Alien Trespass" to further investigate the existence of aliens, or at least that's my attempt at figuruing out why Patrick did "Alien Trespass". It's a real shame that Patrick didn't find any, because, come on, how awesome would it be to see the T-1000 duke it out with aliens? Maybe Patrick hasn't been as observant as he should be in the TV industry, which may very well have aliens for all we know, seeing as how they pretty much abducted D. B. Sweeney, even though they never gave him back, unlike Travis Walton's aliens. Maybe all aliens keep their victims, thus (*cough*fur*cough*ther*cough*) proving that Walton's story is just bull, which isn't to say that such a revelation would make this film less enjoyable, because this effort is a decent one, even though it finds itself held back by its share of issues.

There's not really too much to this film, and that, of course, only intensifies the issues, one of, if not the biggest of which being, of all things, cheesiness, something that even claims the trite, thematically uneven score by Mark Isham, while doing some serious damage to Tracy Tormé's script, which has its share of fall-flat moments in dialogue, as well as subtlety issues that range from somewhat offputting to just downright glaring. If the film isn't kind of distancingly overemphatic about its being based on a true story that may very well be bull, what with it's being so bizarre, its simply histrionic or overbearing with its handling of drama and characterization, so we're certainly not looking at an effort that is nearly as bright as the light that Travis Walton claims to have seen on the night around which this film is centered, and that almost destroys the final product's decency, which goes further shaken by the script's simply needing some trimming around the edges. The film isn't exceedingly overblown, and besides, it's not like its 109-minute runtime leaves all that much room for bloating open, but when the film does bite off more material than it can chew, it starts dragging its feet, meandering in a somewhat repetitious way that blands things up as it desperately works to put some extra meat on the bones that is a story that has enough bland spots in concept. Certainly, there is a reasonable degree of intrigue to this story, and I will touch more upon the engagement value of this subject matter later, but in too many areas, there's not a whole lot of consequence to this thriller, based on a story that just ended up kind of fizzling out from public attention, partially because it is one of a million, just with a bit more circumstancial evidence. The film doesn't have a whole lot of especially unique material to work with, and that would be just fine if the film itself didn't neglect to come up with unique approaches to this story, hitting convention after convention, until flaws end up standing among the general notable beats to this effort for you to zero in on. Sure, around the flaws stand strengths, and enough of them to save the film as decent, but not enough for you to forget the rather cheesy lack of subtlety, tightness and originality that makes the final product not really all that memorable. In spite of this, while the film takes up your time, it does a generally adequate job of holding your attention, being a mess, but one that is nevertheless with some things to compliment, even in the visual aspects.

By 1993, the excellent, maybe even great Bill Pope turned in his fifth effort as cinematographer with this film, and as an up-and-coming motion photographer, Pope didn't really hone in his skill enough for this film to prove to be consistently handsome, but when Pope really delivers here, as he very often does, the results are surprisingly quite lovely, playing with lighting and coloring in an attractively lush fashion that catches your eye and occasionally even captures the juicy wonderment of this subject matter. It takes a little while to get used to the film's visual style, but make no mistake, if this film is anything, it's pretty darn pretty when it wants to be, boasting a look that was fine for the early '90s, and is still mighty handsome to this day as a supplement to nifty style that does a decent job of complimenting what nifty spots there are in substance. Like I said, the film's story concept stands to be meatier and more unique, and its execution gets to be pretty messy, whether when it cheesing things up through subtlety lapses or meandering along, but the thin spots in this film's subject matter, even when joined by problematic lot structuring, cannot fully obscure what is, in fact, intriguing about this genuinely interesting abduction story, especially when intrigue value finds itself emphasized through what is actually done right in execution, particularly when it comes to direction. Director Robert Lieberman can do only so much to settle down the sting of the issues within Tracy Tormé's screenplay, and even makes situations worse in some ways, partially through ambition, but when Lieberman actually fulfills his ambition, he gives you a near-rich taste of what could have been, or at least augments engagement value through moments in atmospheric kick that really are effective, ranging from fear for the associates of Travis Walton who find their reputation and lives threatened by accusations surrounding Walton's disappearance, to the climactic flashback to a dramatization of Walton's experience with his abducters that is unexpectedly nothing short of bone-chillingly haunting. It's a long time before the film reaches its pay-off, but oh, how effective the pay-off is, which isn't to say that you'll find yourself sitting there, desperately begging for this film to hurry up and culminate, because if Lieberman delivers on nothing else, it's a fair degree of entertainment value, which makes the final product enjoyable enough to not be shaken into dreaded mediocrity by its shortcomings. What further keeps engagement value from drifting away is, of course, one of the few major aspects that is consistently impressive, and that is the acting, which would be decent across-the-board if it wasn't for its featuring standouts, from the portrayers of Walton's "abduction" witnesses who face fear over the fates of themselves and of their lost friend, to the unevenly used D. B. Sweeney, who nails the trauma and overwhelming confusion upon Walton's eventual return to the human world with the eeriest of stories to tell. I kind of wish that the film was as good as its performances, because the high notes in the final product do indeed give you a good taste of what could have been, but when it's all said and done, what you ultimately end up with is a reasonably entertaining dramatic sci-fi thriller that gets you by, even if it's not likely to grip your investment all that tightly.

When the light dims and lets you go back into the real world, you're left with cheesy moments in the score, dialogue and subtlety departments, natural shortcomings within the story concept, and conventionalism within the storytelling shake the memorability of the final product, whose decency is even challenged by shortcomings, but not so much so that you can easily deny the handsome visual style, fair degree of conceptual intrigue, - often brought to life by effective moments in Robert Lieberman's mostly reasonably lively score - and good acting that make "Fire in the Sky" an entertaining, if flawed and a bit overambitious retelling of one of the most recognizable stories told by a self-proclaimed victim of extraterrestrials.

2.5/5 - Fair