Fire Over England - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fire Over England Reviews

½ August 19, 2015
Not the best interpretation of this specific historical period in England's time, but filled with some good acting and good cinematography. Sometimes the plot is a bit confusing, and I am not sure who is a Spaniard and who is British.
July 27, 2014
Another good story dealing with the reign of Elizabeth I. Though the character Olivier plays is fictional, the story's still there.
½ November 20, 2011
Solid historical drama with the added attraction of Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh at the height of their beauty.
July 10, 2011
Historical Korda production, with Flora Robson as Liz, Raymond Massey as the King of Spain, Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier as lovers (for the first time), and notable James Wong Howe cinematography. A good looking film.
½ April 27, 2010
A period piece making its focus the prelude to the famous 'Spanish Armada' failure. Perhaps in retrospect also slightly propagandist (made between the Spanish Civil War and 2nd World War). So educational, entertaining and star-studded - well worth watching.
½ April 11, 2010
Fire Over England is a great movie with excellent production values, performances, and exposition. Flora Robson was amazing as Queen Elizabeth I of England and so was Raymond Massey as King Philip II of Spain. Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh were incredible in their supporting roles. The screenplay is also excellent. William K. Howard did an awesome job directing this movie. Fire Over England is a must see.
January 31, 2010
Not bad for a film made in 1937. The sets weren't the best but that's to be expected. The acting was excellent, particularly that of Flora Robson. She gave one of the better portrayals of Elizabeth I. The script however was not the greatest.
September 23, 2009
history is not really my thing but I didn't fall asleep!
March 22, 2009
I really like Vivien Leigh's Movies, she's a brilliant actress. Hope this movie's good.
March 20, 2009
an average film, not greatly interesting. vivien was beautiful though
March 12, 2009
"there'll always be an england! the sun'll never set on the british empire!" rah, rah, blah, blah. patriotic p.r. for the WWll generation.
james mason in an uncredited cameo.
½ December 19, 2008
I guess I misunderstood this film because I thought it starred Vivien Leigh. It does not-the other two females have much more prominent roles and it was really boring. She is beautiful of course in the bit of screen time she does have.
½ July 27, 2008
Boring history piece that features Olivier and Leigh making out and hardly any James Mason. I was robbeed. Woudl rather see Cate Blanchett do QE, but this QE was not bad. This film is a good reminder that there were forgettable films made in 1937 too.
½ July 27, 2008
clunky and mostly uninspired movie about Queen Elizabeth's problems with Spain, retold recently as Elizabeth: the Golden Age
½ June 12, 2008
strictly speaking i probably should not be rating this one b/c i translated this movie into chinese to be aired in china a couple of years ago--the 2007 elizabeth the golden age looks a lot like this one--but this movie still remains one of my fav because: vivien leigh sings in it *_^
½ June 8, 2008
Some overacting by Laurence Olivier, but Flora Robson was fantastic as the Queen.
March 30, 2008
Sadly (?), this movie has fallen out of copyright, so it's very unlikely we'll ever get a decently restored DVD version of this movie. Is it trite? Yes, in many, many ways, especially in relation to the Leigh/Olivier romantic sub-plot. The marvel here, though, is Flora Robson's Elizabeth I, for my money still the best one committed to film. She's stern, steely, gruff and even a bit philosophical, with none of the bombast evident in Judi Dench's performance or the soporific navel-gazing of Cate Blanchett's. This is Robson's movie all the way, and her speech to the troops at Tillbury is still very effective.
March 2, 2008
Elizabeth should not be painted as a good person, she was evil.
½ February 14, 2008
I regret having seen this. It was a poor and unjust portrayal. Not only was it inaccurate but unfairly one-sided.