Firelight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Firelight Reviews

February 27, 2010
That's a chemistry! And all the symbols as firelight, lakehouse, painted cards are used in such a way...
Story maybe has too much coinsidences, but soon as I'd read plot I was so urged to see the movie. And also I don't like some fragments of Stephen acting, but Sophie and Dominique were without any reproaches. Directing of photography is great, soundtrack is suitable. And all the movie makes such a sence.
February 5, 2010
This is such a beautiful film, and one i absolutely love! It's quite a sad film and i did shed a tear or few watching it, and always do, at the same parts. It's the type of film that can seep into your heart and never leave. It stays with you for life. It grabs your heart and won't let go. And that's what i love about it. It grabbed my heart 3 years ago now, and still it won't let go. But i don't want it to, because i love this film with all my heart.

Elisabeth agrees to have a child with Charles for money, as her family are very poor, and she needs the money. At birth she gives her daughter, Louisa, to her father Charles, which was the deal, never to see her again. But 7 years later Elisabeth has never forgotten Louisa, and tracks her down, becoming her governess, so she can be closer to her. Charles lets her and they don't tell Louisa, who has become a spoiled little brat, that Elisabeth is really her mother. With Elisabeth's help Louisa becomes nicer, well educated and more likeable. Charles and Elisabeth find themselves falling in love and from then on it just gets better and better. The scene where Louisa finds out that Elisabeth is her mother is one of the most heartbreaking parts of the film, as all she's ever wanted is to meet her mother, and Elisabeth finally gets to love her like she's always wanted too.

A heartbreaking, beautiful and brilliant film! One everyone could grow to love if they truly gave it a chance!!!
½ January 27, 2010
A drama with a twist
½ January 3, 2010
Sophie Marceau and Stephen Dillane were wonderful to watch.
November 25, 2009
½ November 6, 2009
I quite liked it. It did have its faults and it wrapped up too easily, but I enjoyed the angsty romantic storyline and the filmography. Some of the elements called to mind Jane Eyre.
October 30, 2009
so i've read a lot of people comparing this film to the story of Jane Eyre, that's why i gave Firelight a try but i didn't enjoy it much; the story is nice but i just never felt any sympathy for either of the characters and i didn't feel the love between them. even the scene where the daughter meets her child didn't get to me ...
½ September 21, 2009
the premise itself is kind of stupid...overall, not that great of a film
September 14, 2009
I thought the movie will be boring all throughout that's why I didn't pay attention at its first 30 minutes...but as I paid attention to the movie, I found it very interesting...Overall, I found the movie very inspirational and good especially the ending where I cried hard.
½ September 7, 2009
One of my favorite romantic movies.
July 23, 2009
I cried! So much emotion!
July 2, 2009
Yowza! What a sexy movie! It's ridiculous and over-the-top. No self-respecting serious cinephile will admit to watching this smoldering hormonal romantic period fantasy. The ending is a bit abrupt and too neat. There are several things that make no sense. There are holes everywhere. Everything in this movie existed with the sole purpose of making silly romantics swoon. I LOVED IT. Sexy, romantic, and absurd. I swooned the entire time. Sophie Marceau is an absolute goddess, and Stephan Dillane did a good job delivering the pained tortured romantic lead. Good chemistry between these two.
½ June 27, 2009
I liked this story and especially Sophie Marceau. I think she's a wonderful actress and I wish she were in more movies.
June 25, 2009
½ June 20, 2009
Very beautiful dream-like movie!
March 5, 2009
oh it is one of my favorite sophie marceau movies.she is amazing.i love this .i watched 5 times
December 25, 2008
Simply a classic! The plot line was touching and moving and the acting was wonderful.
October 6, 2008
The first time I saw this movie as a young teenager, I thought it was one of the most romantic movies ever. In retrospect, I might have been a little to melodramatic. Granted, the storyline and acting were good, but for the 100 minutes of actual movie time, the movie sorely lacked substance. The biggest mystery was how a father would let his daughter "trade" herself for his debts or how a man would randomly pick a woman to father his child. The story connected from points A to B at times seemed overly simplified, but then again the film was limited time wise. It's an okay movie that could have been a lot better. Dillane and Marceau have quite good chemistry and that makes this love story more entertaining.
August 20, 2008
lo mas del romanicismo... espectacular fotografia.
July 10, 2008
OOO SOPHIE MARCEAU...ONE OF THE MOST BEATIFUL WOMEN IN THE WORLD...