The First Basket - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The First Basket Reviews

February 28, 2013
This was really good documentary on the beginnings of basketball in America and it's origins I'm sure will surprise a lot of people. It's all very interesting as you can see the game change, form and develop into the modern era and some of the key players from the begining give thier insights on how the game has evolved.
½ January 25, 2010
Good documentary showing how Jewish Immigrants to America had many parts to play in the history of Basketball. Interesting
June 19, 2009
unsung heroes! mga IDOL!
June 19, 2009
i always think movies like these are not for me but always end up liking them so i wouldnt mind seeing it?
June 18, 2009
wait no no
its not so much about b-ball as it is about
jewish history
and i dont care for religious movies
June 17, 2009
Interesting, Jews were the innovators!

Ha who knew?
December 7, 2008
Reason: documentary.
December 6, 2008
NOT INTERESTED....IN DOCUMENTARY FILMS FOR 2008.
November 19, 2008
gooooooooooooooooood
½ May 23, 2008
A talking head documentary which tells the story of jewish participation in the development of basketball. This documentary sheds an important light on a forgotten part of Jewish-American history.For Vyorst basketball was a way for Jews, especially New Yorkers, to become assimilated into American life. The big flaw for me is Vyorst doesn't do a convincing enough job explaining why there aren't many Jews playing at a high level today. I think it has less to do with demographic shifts and more to do with New York's shrinking influence on the game. You'd be hard pressed to find a star player in the NBA from New York of any race or ethnicity. (For those who would say Telfair or Marbury I would reiterate the word STAR.)Still this docco does a good job of highlighting a fascinating chapter in American History.