First Comes Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

First Comes Love Reviews

January 5, 2016
Davenport tells her story....from a storytellers perspective. The lost art of reliving life and putting the pieces together interestingly enough while still not straying too far off and attempt to become snobbishly cold and sterile about conception.
She walks through her initial ideas, she delves into the character of her mother and father who are key components in her life as well as her close friends. The other women in her life somewhat stay at a distance most likely her real life that's where those women a distance.
The piece was touching and made me reflect about all the memories children should have. I loved it. I felt warm.....
Watch it with a cup of tea....and chill out. Intellectualizing the choice to have a baby has already been done. That's why we still have career women of 55 saying "is it too late to have a baby?".
November 2, 2015
Should have been edited down - the last hour of the film was unnecessary and too self-centred. Could have been a moving film if they got rid of all the random sequences.
March 8, 2015
I could not sleep and checked out HBO documentaries and picked this one. I was so moved by her documentary and her struggles with her father daughter relationship. I am so surprised by such negative reviews. I am a mom, with college aged children and a husband of 25 years. So much in this compelling documentary I saw relationship struggles I can relate to. What a moving tribute to parenthood.
½ August 29, 2013
Okay. Decent at the beginning, but then it becomes a story about how everyone should feel bad for because she is struggling. Nope. She choose a carreer that did not pay very well. Then she choose to have a child by herself with zero financial thinking behind it. She just assumed people would step up and help her when she doesn't deserve any help. She just expects it.
August 13, 2013
wanted to like it. filmmaker comes across as a complete idiot. doesn't know how much homones to inject or where the "upper left quadrant of her ass is" for example. she's trying to be funny but it isn't endearing. it's annoying. disliked Nina. hated the film.
½ August 8, 2013
I have to admit that though I don't care or even like the center character of the film, the content is quite interesting and somewhat amazing. Love the part about her parents and when she interviewed other people.
July 29, 2013
Happy to have seen this documentary, I am glad that I did not begin by looking it up on rotten tomatoes. Miss Davenport's pregnancy is just the foreground of the story, and her family's history and dynamic are the background that really fuel her storytelling. I loved watching her evolve as a new mother. She rekindled with her familial past and unearthed morsels of her ancestors.
½ July 29, 2013
Davenport tries to highlight a new perspective of the modern family, but she fails at deep or meaningful observations, instead inundating the viewer with minutia. Overall, "First Comes Love" comes off as little more than a vanity piece.