First Knight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

First Knight Reviews

June 11, 2014
I Like Sean Connery And Richard Gere.
May 19, 2014
This could have been a great King Arthur movie but Sean is waaay to old to be King Arthur, there is no magical elements that should be in Arthurian lore, it relies on action more than story, religious taboos, and yeah they totally rewrote the legend when Arthur found out that Guinevere was cheating on him he sentenced her to burn at a stake only to be saved by Lancelot..........oh and Richard Gere is amazing as Lancelot in this
½ May 5, 2014
I found this to be a pretty good movie with some intense scenes and decent filmmaking. Connery and Gere were good here as it tells the classic tale of King Arthur. Movie received flack for being cheesy but I found it to be an effective drama love story.
½ March 19, 2014
Wednesday, March 19, 2014

(1995) First Knight
HISTORICAL FICTION ACTION ADVENTURE

I tried watching this, but I couldn't get into it, and was able to watch it on my second attempt after watching the 1950 film "Knights Of The Round Table" starring Robert Taylor. I mean, I don't mind seeing an alternate version of "King Arthur", but this movie is too pretentious and silly to be taken seriously, since it assumes viewers are already aware about the story, or in this case the characters. The story has been concocted to focus on the one-note romance between Lancelot(Richard Gere) and Guinevere(Julia Ormond). And that's not the only problem I had, I had a very hard time on the physical aspects too, such as accepting acting veteran Sean Connery as King Arthur who looks like he's old enough to be playing Guinevere's father, who's not much older than the person playing Guinevere's father as well. I mean, if viewers didn't know who Sean Connery was, and were to turn the sound completely off, it sometimes looked like Guinevere is making out with her sugar daddy, or another Hugh Hefner type of person so-to-speak who enjoys making out with younger women. In the movie, he said Guinevere was the first woman he ever fell in love with, but later on in the movie, viewers later find out that he's already been married 4 times prior to falling in love with Guinevere. In the 1950 version of "Knights Of The Round Table", Lancelot's main intention was to serve King Arthur, but in "First Knight", they end up meeting by chance-as in Lancelot completing the dangerous obstacle course without padding. Am I watching something from the 'family movie channel' or is it supposed to be a movie people pay money to watch.

Some of the more corniest scenes has to be Lancelot himself, played by Richard Gere, which the movie portrays him as a person who lives in the forest, sort of like a bushman. He has no arrows but only a sword. He sleeps in the forest, like he needs no blanket probably except the clothes on his back, which his lifestyle is similar to Tarzan except that he has a horse. What kind of foolishness is this, 'King Arthur for dummies? I must have grimaced at least 3 or 4 times, since Lancelot's conceitedness is so cocky and fake, it's like it's intentioned for the simple minded. And the main villain is so stupid, it would've been all over had King Arthur pursued him in the first place, but it's like stall. And then stall again, because Lancelot knew where the main baddie's hideout was, but they just wait and wait and then wait, until he attacks first making the set up for the battle scenes one of the worst in movie history. It's like seeing the worst PG 13 rendition of "The Lord Of The Rings". It said that it's made in 1995, but it looks older, since it's a nothing but a higher budget of something Roger Cormon could've thought of, or Ed Wood.

1 star out of 4 stars
½ March 13, 2014
I for one liked this movie!
December 22, 2013
4 stars for the music, the scenery, memorable scenes such as the obstacle course,..
Thank goodness they left out the abracadabra!
I'd see this movie any time.
October 19, 2013
Sets are realistic and thus quite stunning setting off the movie with true style. Richard plays a cheeky Lancelot which gives the film a modern feel with the rest of the cast giving a very comprehensive characterization. Editing is sharp and succinct giving a smooth continuity allowing the movie to step into romance and fighting seamlessly. Nibbles: Brie Cheesecake.
September 26, 2013
Cheesy costumes, Richard Gere as a stalker version of Lancelot and a gauntlet that seems like the 90's leather version of 'Wipeout'. My advice: turn it on, cover the screen with a blanket and go about your business while listening to Sean Connery talk.
½ September 1, 2013
Ce n'est pas que First Knight soit un si mauvais film, c'est juste qu'il est largement oubliable, jamais vraiment epique, realise de maniere impersonnelle par un Jerry Zucker qui sortait de Ghost et mis en musique sans genie. S'il n'y a rien a redire sur la performance de Julia Ormond et Sean Connery, Richard Gere est absolument catastrophique.
½ August 20, 2013
A great romantic tale, not adapted well in this film. Beautiful scenery and solid performances by Connery and Ormond undercut by awkward slow-motion action shots of Richard Gere.
July 5, 2013
Super cheesy and way over acted. Sean Connery is in it. So it's automatically adequate movie.
July 5, 2013
You would think Richard was the hottest man in the film. Well I'm here to tell you
he is not. SEAN CONNERY IS SO VERY SEXY.
½ May 13, 2013
camelot form Lancelot's point of view.
½ May 11, 2013
Nothing special, but it does provide some great entertainment
½ May 6, 2013
It only gets this rating because I love Sean Connery so much. The rest of the movie I could easily do without.
May 1, 2013
This was a fun little movie. Interesting take on the Arthur Guinivere and Lancelot story. I thought it had decent action, some things were a little cheesy but overall it was good. I enjoyed it.
May 1, 2013
Richard Gere is a good Lancelot.Overall the film is quite well cast and does feature some good battle scenes.
April 8, 2013
I quickly lost interest in the movie.
½ March 10, 2013
Terrible. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE! Worst film I've ever seen. BAH I can't believe this poop.
February 24, 2013
Sean Connery as King Arthur? Sure! Julia Ormond as Gwenivere? Why not? But...Richard Gere as Lancelot? Meh.