H.G. Wells' First Men in the Moon Reviews

• Aug 08, 2019

A wonderfully fun movie that is great for the whole family that makes up for where it slumps in terms of the reasoning behind the science. You can easily fall into the movie despite. If you take it for what it is worth and enjoy the premise with out over analyzing it the movie is a great movie to watch at any time.

• Sep 16, 2018

Fun 1960's sci-fi/fantasy adventure with effects from Harryhausen. Great stuff for a rainy afternoon.

• Nov 03, 2017

The British got to the moon before the Americans! I love this film, it takes you back to an era when life was so much simpler :) The shock the Americans must have had after seeing the Union Jack and the moon being claimed by Queen Victoria..

• Apr 14, 2017

a British comedy which tells the tale of how two British men landed on the moon in 1899

• Mar 14, 2017

It pains me to say that I don't like a movie that Ray Harryhausen worked on, but man do I not like this one. The effects work is great, but the incessant terrible comedy relief in this one is really trying.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jul 03, 2016

Good special effects for the period and some amusing scenes at the beginning but the film is widely uneven.

• Mar 16, 2016

This movie adaptation of an HG Welles story has amazing picture quality and special effects. Although it doesn't make any sense from a scientific point of view, this naturalist adventure (much like those Jules VERNE movie adaptations) about three individuals in the 1800's going to the Moon is interesting. Some elements may have inspired the Sandpeople and the carbonite in Star Wars.

• Jul 22, 2015

It's absolutely imperial. The Earth's first space mission lands on the moon only to find that there are artifacts already there. When the artifacts appear in a news broadcast, an old scientist is astonished to see his items on the news. A group of scientists arrive on his doorstep asking for an explanation. The old man takes the scientists on a trip they'll never believe. "Staring at me like an animal in the zoo." Nathan Juran, director of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, 20 Million Miles to Earth, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, and Jack the Giant Killer (1962), delivers The Men in the Moon. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and fun to watch unfold. The action is dated but interesting and the acting is average. The cast includes Edward Judd, Martha Hyer, and Lionel Jeffries. "Stay away or I'll shoot!" I found this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it. This was a fairly average movie but a nice addition to the science fiction genre for this era. This is far from a masterpiece, but it isn't a waste of time. I recommend giving it a viewing. "I sold the cottage." Grade: C

• Jun 06, 2015

Okay H.G. Welles adaptation is highlighted by excellent Ray Harryhausen stop motion special effects. The film starts off a bit slow and has some clunky comedy sprinkled throughout the film, but the main attraction of this film is once they reach the moon and start to fight the various moon monsters.

• Apr 27, 2015

A wonderful telling of space exploration, fantasy, scifi, Harryhausen, and H.G. Wells. And let me tell you... fantasy and fiction are truly the tales here as common sense, science, and reason must be thrown out the window in order to fully enjoy this tale. Would a space suit function without gloves ie. with just your hands exposed to the elements and no seal around the wrists? Does it matter? The answer... no! but that's not the point in this wonderful tale of whimsy and wonder. While not directed by Ray Harryhausen, he had plenty of influence on the production and his work is seen throughout the film as a result. H.G. Wells crafts a wonderful story and Harryhausen somehow has the knack to bring vision to these great words to create a true piece of beautiful art.