First Position - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

First Position Reviews

June 21, 2016
The whole family loved it!
January 22, 2016
This was like "Spellbound" but with ballet. Very intense.
January 4, 2016
I love the looks of it! Cant wait to see it!
August 18, 2015
Stunning, beautiful, and heartbreaking all in one. First Position is a fantastic documentary, and likely the best of its kind that I have ever seen. Everyone, but especially athletes who are not ballet dancers should appreciate and be floored by the kind of pressure and demand that these world-class kids need to put forth to simply get a chance to do what they love. I don't believe is classifying one sport over another, but ballet is simply insane.

Each child is an interesting subject, some displaying immense maturity for their age, others showcasing their intense passion for dance in their routines. I loved following their stories through their journeys.

First Position is my favorite movie I've seen this year, and is well worth a watch, regardless your opinion of dance or sport.
November 27, 2014
Best movie ever! So inspiring.
½ October 23, 2014
A beautiful portrayal of what unyielding passion, resilience and dedication can accomplish. First Position is beyond inspirational and showcases the elegance, grace and hardships of the art of ballet.
October 21, 2014
It takes us into a world where children are entrenched in a love for dance - ballet dance. Is it a result of pushy parents, or a social trend of extravagance that time won't forget, or are these kids genuinely in love with the art of dance beyond their years. Either way - we gain insight into the remarkable amount of sacrifice it takes in order to become the best, or at least good enough to be employable. It didn't quite sell the art of ballet to me.
September 3, 2014
Another ballet focussed fim about the stress involved in international competition. Elements of this film can be wearing.... we know there will be 'winners" and "losers" and Director Bess Kargman focuses on a varied group of motivated students and pushy parents. This film is well worth you time. Bravo to all!
June 27, 2014
captivating! loved watching these kids dedicate themselves to something, or at least smile their way through it (little JJ, so cute)
½ May 15, 2014
Thoroughly entertaining with a perfect look into the pressures of being a young dancer with hopes and dreams.
½ May 2, 2014
long and insightful story about the dreams and dedication of dancers
April 25, 2014
Pretty excellent if you care at all about dance.
April 9, 2014
Better than any of the dance movies, what really happens
April 7, 2014
Had no idea there are little wooden things that stretch a foot of a ballet dancer.
February 4, 2014
Watchable documentary following 6 young ballet dancers as they compete in the Youth America Grand Prix, a competition showcasing young talent to the world's most prestigious ballet schools.
It's all a bit aspirational follow your dreams stuff rather than the harsh actuality of your average dancer's career. Still you do get behind the 6 dancers and the dance performances are great.
January 12, 2014
The young dancers in this documentary begin as figures to admire but by the end, even though most of them are triumphant, their image begins to be cast more as tragic heroes, their futures heading towards inevitable heart ache.
December 2, 2013
An inspiring documentary about passion and discipline in the young who know from an early age how deeply they love something and how much they want it. Some truly talented children who show that when you have talent, it's not enough: the blood, sweat and tears, and the sacrifices are the biggest component to the personal satisfaction. Most of all, I loved seeing the parents. I have no doubt that there are pushy ones but the love and support shown by the parents of the talented young stars of this documentary are exemplary. A parent supports because they love. The biggest display of this was the brief glimpse at the traditional ball-playing father who has the son who loves ballet. The emotion and pride in that 20 seconds that he appeared was undeniable. This documentary is not just about elevating a performance art. Ballet is like any sport - when you aim high, the work is tough, the discipline is tight and the human spirit is full of joy.
December 1, 2013
Have to buy this one and gives an inside look as to what dancers go through!
November 14, 2013
Very well paced to where you get to know the people and you tend to like more than others. But very effective and entertaining.
October 20, 2013
lovely and emotional documentary!