First Position - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

First Position Reviews

October 5, 2013
Stunning. Invigorating. Dramatic.
Compelling. Awe-inspiring.
A performers dream come true.
Dumb cover pic tho -
Absolutely Any performance here would have served a better choice. For some magnetic reason, I am personally drawn in and fulfilled, and something is completed and satisfied in me from simply watching this.
I am truly taken aback.
Sheer magic.
See it.
September 28, 2013
Great movie to watch if u are a young dancer or have a child that is a dancer. Great doco.
½ August 16, 2013
"First Position" is more than a movie - it is life. This documentary chronicles the journey of several ballet dancers in their preparation for the Youth America Grand Prix. It is probably because of the young age-range (and immeasurable "cuteness" factor) that a strong emotional connection is formed from the very start and will have you cheering for these kids by the end of the 90 minutes. Aran was definitely my favorite dancer and I wonder where he will be in 10 years. Overall, the dancing is beyond impressive. These young kids have true skill and the film properly represents the amount of training and dedication that is necessary to attain this level of skill. The script creates just as much drama as any fictional dance movie out there and is definitely better than most of them. Whether you are a documentary fan or not, "First Position" is a must-watch for some great insight into the competitive world of ballet.
August 10, 2013
Absolutely gripping and powerfully emotional. After learning about the histories of each contestant, I was watching them on the stage like a proud mom, clutching a pillow tightly, afraid they might fall.
½ August 7, 2013
One gasps at the incredible lightness and litheness of the dancers as well as their perseverance, sacrifice and battered toes. Watching this makes one feel like a total slouch though.
August 3, 2013
Loved loved loved! For anyone with any interest in ballet, this is a great depiction of how tough the business is.
½ August 2, 2013
Brilliant. Inspirational. Must see for former dancers and those wanting to pursue dance.
½ July 29, 2013
Like Centre Stage but with a lot of heart and emotion.
July 26, 2013
I found myself cheering for each of the kids. Great film.
June 23, 2013
Great set of competitors for this documentary. Surprisingly moving in places.
June 18, 2013
Ending didn't have as clear of results as I'd like but very interesting movie. Well put together.
½ June 8, 2013
dont like it #boring. didnt even watch it till the end
June 6, 2013
If you were ever interested in the world of Ballet and what it's like in a very real and not dramatized way, watch this documentary. Such beautiful stories of actual dancers working so hard to reach the dreams that make them alive. Such an inspiring film. Makes me want to pursue my dream of becoming a dancer even more.
½ June 1, 2013
solid documentary about young aspiring ballet dancers that does "all the right things" when following a group of youngsters,some who fail some who succeed, a little cliched and predictable with no real substance, but enjoyable.
May 19, 2013
I am a sucker for dance movies for some reason, shows just how hard it is to be a professional ballet dancer
½ April 20, 2013
Fantastic dance doco. Moving and same amazing dancing. It has its flaws though. Worth seeing.
April 18, 2013
Never in a million years would I have thought I'd enjoy a movie on ballet, BUT I have nothing but the utmost respect for these half dozen extreme athletes, boys & girls 9 - 17, that compete in ballet at the highest levels - They are astronauts with the right stuff! There is absolutely nothing in this documentary that is "boring" or "gay" & I HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! It is one of those rare diamonds in the dirt that I discover 2 - 3 times a year. 5*****
April 14, 2013
A masterpiece. A truly great documentary.
April 4, 2013
Really solid doc that balances the disappointment and struggles of ballet students with gorgeous, transcendent dance.
April 3, 2013
"First Position" showcases the extraordinary artistry, precision, grace and power of ballet, whose dancers seem to defy the physical limits of the human body. The documentary recognises the immense devotion, sacrifice and passion that dancers pour into their craft.