First Position Reviews

• Jan 22, 2016

This was like "Spellbound" but with ballet. Very intense.

This was like "Spellbound" but with ballet. Very intense.

• Aug 18, 2015

Stunning, beautiful, and heartbreaking all in one. First Position is a fantastic documentary, and likely the best of its kind that I have ever seen. Everyone, but especially athletes who are not ballet dancers should appreciate and be floored by the kind of pressure and demand that these world-class kids need to put forth to simply get a chance to do what they love. I don't believe is classifying one sport over another, but ballet is simply insane. Each child is an interesting subject, some displaying immense maturity for their age, others showcasing their intense passion for dance in their routines. I loved following their stories through their journeys. First Position is my favorite movie I've seen this year, and is well worth a watch, regardless your opinion of dance or sport.

• Nov 27, 2014

Best movie ever! So inspiring.

Best movie ever! So inspiring.

• Oct 23, 2014

A beautiful portrayal of what unyielding passion, resilience and dedication can accomplish. First Position is beyond inspirational and showcases the elegance, grace and hardships of the art of ballet.

• Sep 03, 2014

Another ballet focussed fim about the stress involved in international competition. Elements of this film can be wearing.... we know there will be 'winners" and "losers" and Director Bess Kargman focuses on a varied group of motivated students and pushy parents. This film is well worth you time. Bravo to all!

• May 15, 2014

Thoroughly entertaining with a perfect look into the pressures of being a young dancer with hopes and dreams.

• Apr 25, 2014

Pretty excellent if you care at all about dance.

Pretty excellent if you care at all about dance.

• Apr 07, 2014

Had no idea there are little wooden things that stretch a foot of a ballet dancer.

• Feb 04, 2014

Watchable documentary following 6 young ballet dancers as they compete in the Youth America Grand Prix, a competition showcasing young talent to the world's most prestigious ballet schools. It's all a bit aspirational follow your dreams stuff rather than the harsh actuality of your average dancer's career. Still you do get behind the 6 dancers and the dance performances are great.

• Jan 12, 2014

The young dancers in this documentary begin as figures to admire but by the end, even though most of them are triumphant, their image begins to be cast more as tragic heroes, their futures heading towards inevitable heart ache.