First Snow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

First Snow Reviews

½ December 27, 2011
mmm this was an ok movie. slow at times. kind of interesting. i like
December 5, 2011
This is a great movie.
½ July 30, 2011
An excellent film with a great leading performance, and an exceptionally poetic ending.
June 7, 2011
Great performance and good enough story.
½ April 24, 2011
Some movies provoke in their viewers a question about why they were made and what they really were about. In regard of some movies this question can provoke a long discussion about all possible topics, other movies will cause a follow up question "No, seriously dude... why would anybody would want to make this movie and what the heck was it about?". "First snow" belongs unfortunately to this second group of movies - it is a pointless waste of viewer's time.
½ April 1, 2011
Imperfect but solid neo-noir, unfairly dismissed.
½ March 26, 2011
Interesting ideas and characters that ultimately never deliver.
February 4, 2011
Lenta y un tanto densa. El interés crece progresivamente, mediante una adecuada transformación del personaje, quien pasa de ser un ente con el que el espectador probablemente no se identifique, a un individuo lleno de dudas y temores con el que cualquiera, mientras sea humano, podría identificarse. Guy Pearce me vuelve a convencer: excelente actuación, se apropia del personaje y el crecimiento del mismo se percibe claramente. En favor del entretenimiento, hubiera sido conveniente un final un tanto más revelador o trabajado, me pareció demasiado simple.
½ November 23, 2010
This movie made me think a few things:

1. Why did the movie end like that and make me mad?

2. If you want a scene to be a so-called "good-lookin' scene," put Piper Perabo in it and just see what happens.

3. I wish they had shown more of the "Snow."

4. Did I like the movie or did I not like the movie?

5. I'm thirsty.

6. Am I? Could I possibly--? Yep, I'm in love with Piper Perabo.

None of this means that I'm recommending the movie, though I wouldn't not recommend it, especially to people who like only a little snow and Piper Perabo and movies with endings that make me mad. It's kinda slow, in parts, but in an interesting way, and it builds a subtle, creepy suspense that's very effective and causes you to get all worried that something might actually happen to Piper Perabo (her character, I mean, but somehow that's just as bad...or good, if worry's what you're looking to feel). And then, toward the end, you begin to wish they'd show more snow, and maybe five or ten (perhaps a hundred?) more "good-lookin' scenes," maybe with a light snow swirling in the background. And when it ends (when you're mad about how it ended and you turn off the TV and sit quietly for a while, staring blankly into the darkness, looking back over your life and wondering, How can I make Piper Perabo mine?), you get real thirsty for pretty much any kind of juice. Sound good? Well, then I guess you might wanna rent it.
½ October 26, 2010
For Fans Of: Guy Pierce, slow builds, suspense
Date Night: No
Art Factor: Medium
Fun Factor: Low
Emotional Factor: Low
Intelligence Required: Medium
Essential Viewing: No

Is it just me, or does Guy Pierce work harder at getting himself into orginal scripts than any other top shelf actor in the business? This guy could be making all kinds of filler movies for paychecks in my opinion but instead we get lots of great performances in smaller films that recieve hardly any press and turn out to be better than expected. This thought process holds true in First Snow. A film about a guy who learns more than most would want to, Pierce is the star here in every sense. The script isn't quiet as good as the premise, but it is still better than most. Director Mark Fergus shows some talent with the lens, but needs to work on pacing just a wee bit. The supporting cast was expectedly good in some places (J.K. Simmons) and suprisingly good in others (Piper Perabo). With a bit of that pacing issue worked out this could have easily scored higher with me. If you get sick of the same old formulas for flicks I highly recommend you check this one out. No, it won't blow your hair back, but it will keep your eyes open for what's around the corner. One of the better "one man's obession" flicks I have seen in a while. And once again, support Guy Pierce. We need more great actors like this one.
October 5, 2010
Good movie to watch if you are a Guy Pierce fan.
September 11, 2010
If I knew I was about to die, I'd do more exciting things than pay my bar tab and give my girlfriend false hope.
July 9, 2010
Strong performances from Guy Pearce and J.K. Simmons make this an above average thriller, but the movie loses some steam towards the end. I enjoyed the first part of the film as it utilizes the southwestern atmosphere, but the second half of the film feels all over the place. I did enjoy the themes of fate, but the film's ending to me feels cheap and unnecessary.
½ June 22, 2010
Good concept. It's no Memento, which I'm sure everybody wanted, but it's definitely entertaining enough. Some good character actors in a solid mystery box.
½ June 11, 2010
Una especie de film noir que pudo haber sido mejor si no se hubiera expandido tanto. un buen guion e intrigante thriller que te mantiene despierto.
June 7, 2010
This was an interesting movie, but I can?t say a good one. It?s about the breakdown of a man and how his life unravels after a fateful moment. With this movie really being an off-kilter drama based in The Duke City about a man going crazy, it immediately reminded me of Breaking Bad. That probably made me like this movie less, which is unfair. However, it doesn?t suffer from great visuals or performances.

Guy Pearce needs more work. He?s brilliant. Why isn?t he as popular as Russell Crowe? He?s what this movie needs because everything else is so subtle. Even the resolution is easy to miss. And I don?t think that is the way to get a movie, plot or points of emphasis noticed by people. And that?s why I tuned out so often with this movie. It?s not a new concept, and not told in a unique way, so the subtle scenes just tended to lose me.
kylemydude
May 18, 2010
A very interesting thriller with the allways great Guy Pearce, written by two of the writers of Children of Men and Iron Man, one of which directed this film. This film really had potential, but somehow got lost along the way. There are some very suspenseful parts, but not enough to make the movie as a whole.
½ April 19, 2010
Tense, not bad but not overly involving either. Guy Pearce and J.K. Simmons are great, as usually, but the material is a little thin.
½ April 8, 2010
Good actors, great settings, but flimsy story.