Firstborn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Firstborn Reviews

April 6, 2017
I've always liked this movie. I saw it in the theater back when it originally came out. Then on cable later. Christopher Collet plays a teenager whose divorced mother gets hooked up with a guy who isn't very nice. Played by Peter Weller the guy really frightened me as a kid.
January 31, 2016
Vastly underrated, thls is the late Corey Haim's first film, and is one of the best
domestic dramas of the 80's, showing what often happens when a divorced mom, lonely for a man, brings a loser into her life and eventually her home,
to the dismay of her two sons, who soon can see what a disaster he is. This is not a "fun" film and certainly is not aimed at those who like the blockbuster superhero type films. This is at times sad, and even depressing, but very realistic, with outstanding performances, and a chance to see Teri Garr, Peter Weller, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Robert Downey Junior before they became
household names, as well as Christopher Collet in a terrific performance, as the son who ultimately has to save his family.
August 8, 2015
I thought first born was terrible film teri garr gives a bad performance a single mother whose druggy boyfriend played by peter weller move in I thought Christopher Collet gave the only good performance as garr's oldest son who could see right through him .
½ September 13, 2014
For an early 80s thriller this flick was a nice little surprise.Campy with a B movie charm that plays better for the middle age teenager at heart.
½ November 12, 2013
such a good movie. has good intensity and ultimately shows the importance of family. you feel for the kids b/c they just dont want want their mom in harm's way
November 23, 2012
Firstborn (1984) -- [6.0] -- Christopher Collet plays a tenth-grader whose divorced mother brings a drug-dealing boyfriend home in this drama from Michael Apted. The movie is pretty solid for its first two-thirds, ratcheting up the tension and creating a good deal of empathy for Collet and his little brother, played by the late Corey Haim (his film debut). The last act is a bit of a let-down, tied up with a relatively pat ending that feels forced and highly unlikely. I guess you could say the movie boxes itself into a corner. Peter Weller is scary as the volatile boyfriend while Teri Garr does her best with the thankless Mom role -- that anyone could watch this movie and not blame the mother for everything would greatly surprise me. Look for early appearances by future stars Sarah Jessica Parker and Robert Downey Jr as friends of Collet's character.
October 4, 2012
I know what it feels like cause im the firstborn but more that i was born only child!
September 1, 2012
Peter Weller apres Robocop delivers one of the most believable, visceral psycho performances ever. This movie actually had some great writing. One of the most over-looked films of the 80s. Every performance is incredible (watch for a young Corey Haim). The chase scene at the end is among the greatest I've ever seen. No lie. The tension & suspense are palpable. You genuinely feel the emotions the main characters experience. And again, I'm telling you, the dialogue is STELLAR! It boggles my mind sometimes to think which films are remembered & which are forgotten. This one should be remembered... and needs to come out on DVD NOW!!
June 10, 2012
This should be good
April 4, 2012
Great Single Parent Movie The Beautifull Terri Garr Is Raising 2 Young Men And Find's The Winner Of All Sleez Ball Boyfriends !! He moves in Dose Drugs In the house Deals Druggs From The house Drinks All day Yes at First he is Nice But That Dose Not Last ... A Young Corey Haim Just Shines ...
This should be an afterschool special ... So Kids can see This Dose happen and Their Is Hope !!
April 4, 2012
A good Movie Haven't Seen It In A While.....
½ April 4, 2012
A great, underrated movie about two brave boys... The young Robert Downey Jr. also appears in this, he's nice too :)
April 4, 2012
I only know this moving as "First Born". I really liked it. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD.
moviefan1725
April 4, 2012
Peter Weller is best known for playing the hero in movies like Leviathan, and most notably, the title character in Robocop. But somehow he seems more in his element playing a bad guy. Never better than here. He plays the sleazy new boyfriend of suburban mom Teri Garr. Instantly he butts heads with her oldest son played by Christopher Collet. He tries to come across as a nice guy, but Collet sees beneath the fake smile, and knows that this guy is bad news. Soon, the new man in mom's life has her out partying late, doing coke, and even getting involved in dealing drugs. With no father around, Collet decides to stand up for his family, and do what it takes to get this guy out of their lives. It's a movie that will resonate with anyone that has divorced parents, and had to deal with new adult figures trying to assert an authority position in their lives. Sometimes it's a good thing, and sometimes it isn't. This is one of the worst case scenarios of what can happen to a good family when a bad element is introduced. Weller is at his best, but the rest of the performances are equally sound. Garr can do the soccer mom thing in her sleep. Like his turn in The Manhattan Project, Collet gives us a very believable (although very different) character that easily identifiable with. His problems and concerns are very realistic, and Collet sells it enough to get the audience cheering for him when he finally stands up to the bully. Watch for appearances by a very young Sarah Jessica Parker as Collet's girlfriend, and Robert Downey Jr as his friend who is the first kid the know to get an earring. Ah, the 80's. This is also the film debut of Corey Haim.
April 4, 2012
A movie that every kid that has ever had a step-dad or deal with "mom's new boyfriend" should watch. Teri Garr is all coked out, and Peter Weller has never been scarier! Very fun to watch Little Corey Haim, SJP and Robert Downey, Jr. Too bad it's not on DVD yet!
April 4, 2012
Corey Haim was one of my heartthrobs back in the 80s. It's a shame what happened to him, but I will always love his old movies and anything he does in the future. This was one from his early days and he was definetly a star in the making. I wish him luck in getting back on his feet. I watch him now a days on his tv show The Two Coreys and sometimes watching it is sad and I just keep saying to myself this is such a shame, but people pick there own paths and hopefully he will find his way back. Forever will love Corey Haim.
April 4, 2012
A great film that NEEDS TO BE RELEASED ON DVD. I remember not expecting much but being haunted by Weller's performance...the ability to make a normal man as scary as any movie monster is an amazing feat
April 4, 2012
REALLYREALLYREALLY want to see the HAIMSTER
April 4, 2012
This movie's got it all - Christopher Collet being awesome, Teri Garr crazy on coke, her asshole boyfriend and a very young Corey Haim. It's great. Watch it!
½ April 4, 2012
Very underrated film. Although this is something you could possibly catch on the Lifetime network, it has a very realistic story to it, which makes it interesting. Plus which, has an excellent cast (from some "unknown then" actors/actresses). Very hammered with 80's music (except Spencer Davis' Gimme Some Lovin').