The Fisher King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fisher King Reviews

½ June 18, 2015
Charming in that uniquely fantastical way that only Gilliam knows how to do well. Williams, Bridges, Ruehl, and Plummer are perfect fits for their roles, and it was fascinating to see Bridges' journey.
June 17, 2015
Gilliam's movies are frequently so frustrating. They're messes, but here and there one sees flashes of genius. This one is no different.
June 11, 2015
A more mature film by Gilliam, with touching script and excellent cast.
June 8, 2015
While I enjoy the early nineties-ness of the film, it left me feeling confused. The tone of the film went from slap stick to very affective drama in drastic turns. I found myself unable to sympathise with the characters. Not to mention the sententious messaging throughout this film--definitely not for the incredulous viewer! This said, I can understand why many deem this an off beat classic.
½ May 30, 2015
Amazing acting, amazing characters, amazing story telling, amazing visuals. Terry Gilliam is amazing.
May 13, 2015
95% on my Tomatometer.
April 29, 2015
The Fisher King is an amazing film. It is about an embittered radio deejay who finds personal salvation after he is saved from death by a strange vagabond who takes him into a dark, fantastic quest for the Holy Grail. Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges give fantastic performances. The script is well written. Terry Gilliam did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and humor. The Fisher King is a must see.
April 11, 2015
Too sentimental for my taste. Once again I am in the minority. People love this movie. I did not care for it.
April 9, 2015
Rewetting this film, I'm reminded of Terry Gilliam's opening comments on his Criterion Edition commentary, where he said he had three rules he planned to live by as a filmmaker; 1) he'd never do anyone's script but his own, 2) he'd never work for a major studio, and 3) he'd never work in America. He violated all three of these rules to make "The Fisher King," but it ended up being one of his best films, which us saying something considering that Gilliam has made some undeniable classics. Richard LaGravenese wrote a sensitive and wildly imaginative script about a shock jock, Jeff Bridges, who's offhand comments one show lead to a listener going on a fatal shooting spree. Bridges goes into a depression and finds himself living above a video store with the Mercedes Ruehl, who won an Oscar for her performance. Bridges is not the big man he used to be and won't let himself until he meet homeless man Perry, played by Robin Williams. Both men come to find themselves again with the help of one another. That's a pretty bland description though for a story that involves a quest for the Holy Grail, musical numbers and a frightening incarnation of the Red Knight. The film perfectly fits into Gilliam's themematic obsessions of fantasy, reality and escapism, but compared to his own written work, this film has considerably more heart and soul to it and I think that helped advance Gilliam as a filmmaker greatly. With the character of Perry, William get what I would say is arguably his best film role, which offered him a chance for him to showcase both his talent for drama and for improvisational comedy. You also get some fine before they were famous performance by David Hyde Pierce, Kathy Najimy, Amanda Plummer, Michael Jeter. You also get a small part by Harry Shearer and an uncredited appearance by Tom Waits. There's also a soaring score by George Fenton that's one of my favorite of his compositions.
½ April 5, 2015
Master of weirdness Terry Gilliam presents somewhat his most "normal" movie. Brilliant casted with Williams & Bridges into this broken down self-image boarding over to serious psychological issues. Beneath the main story a love story unfoldes and becomes an obsession to achive normality.
½ April 1, 2015
Probably the worst movie that both Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges have been in. It's boring, but also very strange and utterly obnoxious. I didn't like it at all. (First and only viewing - 4/1/2015)
April 1, 2015
gr8 another lost review
½ April 1, 2015
In lesser hands this jumble of genres would crap out but these actors give live to these broken people
March 26, 2015
Jeff Bridges plays a radio DJ who is close to breaking into TV when his comments to a frequent caller lead the caller to go on a shooting spree in a night club (before killing himself). The story picks up three years later with Bridges now living disgraced, and drinking too much. One night he drunkenly stumbles out in New York, and is attacked by two young men (thinking he is a bum) before being rescued by Robin Williams as a mad homeless man who thinks of himself as a Knight (and whose own wife was murdered in the night club incident). It is a pretty good drama-comedy from director Terry Gilliam, who makes his first venture outside of the fantasy world...though this still features some elements that required the kind of fantasy-charged eye Gilliam has. Wonderful film from the most visually impressive Python.
March 21, 2015
Overlong, dull, and badly filmed, The Fisher king is far from being Robin William's best film, and not even Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges can save this flat and lifeless movie.
½ March 3, 2015
Like most films by Terry Gilliam, this gets a little strange! However, Robin Williams, Jeff Bridges, and Mercedes Ruehl give impressive performances. Lots of weird camera angles and full frontal nudity from Williams. This film is not afraid to get a little crazy.
½ March 1, 2015
One of Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges' best performances. The two are great together on screen and thanks to Terry Gilliam's unusual directing style, this movie is one weird, but great story about love and adventure.

Grade: B+
February 25, 2015
A crazy lovestory in true Gilliam fashion. This ensemble cast works the script well and delivers a dark yet pleasant story you'll want to watch. Once.
½ February 22, 2015
I like New York in July
How about you?
I like a Gershwin tune
How about you?
½ February 14, 2015
Great film to watch on Valentine's Day! Great performances and Gilliam seems to be a bit more restrained with some of his more over the top leanings