The Fisher King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fisher King Reviews

½ September 19, 2015
Not your standard love story this one. Great actors that deliver and a plot and execution that is very enjoyable.

Jeff Bridges as a radio DJ with some big problems starts to care for a homeless man (Robin Williams) that's also a total loon. The DJ is oozing of Howard Stern, by the way.
Their friendship is weird but great and the other people involved makes the story whole and very charming. Mercedes Ruehl as the lovely Anne is doing a remarkable job, earning her an Oscar for best supportive acctress. Cool to see Tom Waits in the film as well.

Gilliam is doing what he does best, mixing the weird with the relatable and here he really hits it of. It's a daring and different film, but it is likable for most audience. A nice, charming little film.

7.5 out of 10 dumplings.
August 30, 2015
While there are moments were the film drags a bit, The Fisher King is an endearing character piece about redemption that does benefits from Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges chemistry and director Terry Gilliam's loopy visual style.
August 20, 2015
This was actually my 1st time watching this modern classic. I really like both Williams & Bridges and Reuhl won an Oscar so not sure why it took me so long to get to it. All the performances are excellent, and excellent direction from Gilliam. Recommended!
August 18, 2015
Released in 1991, The Fisher King tells the story of Jack (Jeff Bridges), a shock jock whose life goes down the drain after he inadvertently causes a tragedy. Three years later, he lives above a video store in an alcoholic haze with his caring girlfriend (Mercedes Ruehl). After a heavy night of drinking, he stumbles upon a crazed homeless man named Parry (Robin Williams), who he finds out was directly a part of the tragedy that he had caused. After feeling the weight and the guilt of this, Jack sets out to help Parry in various ways, but most importantly to help win the heart of a shy and awkward young girl (Amanda Plummer). Meanwhile, Parry is chasing some demons of his own as he is at constant odds with his own mental instability. Although the film is severely dated in a lot of ways, there's no denying how good it is, even to this day. The relationships between the characters, the performances, and Gilliam's direction all combine to make a very sweet and moving film. Gilliam, who was known for his outrageous and unorthodox visual style, set his own aesthetics aside for almost the entirety of the production. The final product is a happy marriage of great talent behind and in front of the camera. I would go so far as to call it Gilliam's most accessible movie. It's certainly relatable across genders and isn't just a trip into wild and unsavory territory. At its heart, it's a love story, but it's also a story about redemption, and Williams' performance helps seal the deal almost more than any other actor in the film.
August 16, 2015
When I saw Grand Central Station, I wish that the crowd had spontaneously waltzed
½ August 13, 2015
This movie is beautifully acted by Jeff Bridges, Mercedes Reuhl and especially Robin Williams AND Amanda Plummer. The Chinese Restaurant scene is my favorite. And the surprise hum-dinger is Michael Jeter in drag singing Gypsy in a candy gram.
½ June 18, 2015
Charming in that uniquely fantastical way that only Gilliam knows how to do well. Williams, Bridges, Ruehl, and Plummer are perfect fits for their roles, and it was fascinating to see Bridges' journey.
June 17, 2015
Gilliam's movies are frequently so frustrating. They're messes, but here and there one sees flashes of genius. This one is no different.
June 11, 2015
A more mature film by Gilliam, with touching script and excellent cast.
June 8, 2015
While I enjoy the early nineties-ness of the film, it left me feeling confused. The tone of the film went from slap stick to very affective drama in drastic turns. I found myself unable to sympathise with the characters. Not to mention the sententious messaging throughout this film--definitely not for the incredulous viewer! This said, I can understand why many deem this an off beat classic.
½ May 30, 2015
Amazing acting, amazing characters, amazing story telling, amazing visuals. Terry Gilliam is amazing.
May 13, 2015
95% on my Tomatometer.
April 29, 2015
The Fisher King is an amazing film. It is about an embittered radio deejay who finds personal salvation after he is saved from death by a strange vagabond who takes him into a dark, fantastic quest for the Holy Grail. Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges give fantastic performances. The script is well written. Terry Gilliam did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and humor. The Fisher King is a must see.
April 11, 2015
Too sentimental for my taste. Once again I am in the minority. People love this movie. I did not care for it.
April 9, 2015
Rewetting this film, I'm reminded of Terry Gilliam's opening comments on his Criterion Edition commentary, where he said he had three rules he planned to live by as a filmmaker; 1) he'd never do anyone's script but his own, 2) he'd never work for a major studio, and 3) he'd never work in America. He violated all three of these rules to make "The Fisher King," but it ended up being one of his best films, which us saying something considering that Gilliam has made some undeniable classics. Richard LaGravenese wrote a sensitive and wildly imaginative script about a shock jock, Jeff Bridges, who's offhand comments one show lead to a listener going on a fatal shooting spree. Bridges goes into a depression and finds himself living above a video store with the Mercedes Ruehl, who won an Oscar for her performance. Bridges is not the big man he used to be and won't let himself until he meet homeless man Perry, played by Robin Williams. Both men come to find themselves again with the help of one another. That's a pretty bland description though for a story that involves a quest for the Holy Grail, musical numbers and a frightening incarnation of the Red Knight. The film perfectly fits into Gilliam's themematic obsessions of fantasy, reality and escapism, but compared to his own written work, this film has considerably more heart and soul to it and I think that helped advance Gilliam as a filmmaker greatly. With the character of Perry, William get what I would say is arguably his best film role, which offered him a chance for him to showcase both his talent for drama and for improvisational comedy. You also get some fine before they were famous performance by David Hyde Pierce, Kathy Najimy, Amanda Plummer, Michael Jeter. You also get a small part by Harry Shearer and an uncredited appearance by Tom Waits. There's also a soaring score by George Fenton that's one of my favorite of his compositions.
½ April 5, 2015
Master of weirdness Terry Gilliam presents somewhat his most "normal" movie. Brilliant casted with Williams & Bridges into this broken down self-image boarding over to serious psychological issues. Beneath the main story a love story unfoldes and becomes an obsession to achive normality.
½ April 1, 2015
Probably the worst movie that both Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges have been in. It's boring, but also very strange and utterly obnoxious. I didn't like it at all. (First and only viewing - 4/1/2015)
April 1, 2015
gr8 another lost review
½ April 1, 2015
In lesser hands this jumble of genres would crap out but these actors give live to these broken people