The Fisher King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fisher King Reviews

March 26, 2015
Jeff Bridges plays a radio DJ who is close to breaking into TV when his comments to a frequent caller lead the caller to go on a shooting spree in a night club (before killing himself). The story picks up three years later with Bridges now living disgraced, and drinking too much. One night he drunkenly stumbles out in New York, and is attacked by two young men (thinking he is a bum) before being rescued by Robin Williams as a mad homeless man who thinks of himself as a Knight (and whose own wife was murdered in the night club incident). It is a pretty good drama-comedy from director Terry Gilliam, who makes his first venture outside of the fantasy world...though this still features some elements that required the kind of fantasy-charged eye Gilliam has. Wonderful film from the most visually impressive Python.
March 21, 2015
Overlong, dull, and badly filmed, The Fisher king is far from being Robin William's best film, and not even Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges can save this flat and lifeless movie.
½ March 3, 2015
Like most films by Terry Gilliam, this gets a little strange! However, Robin Williams, Jeff Bridges, and Mercedes Ruehl give impressive performances. Lots of weird camera angles and full frontal nudity from Williams. This film is not afraid to get a little crazy.
½ March 1, 2015
One of Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges' best performances. The two are great together on screen and thanks to Terry Gilliam's unusual directing style, this movie is one weird, but great story about love and adventure.

Grade: B+
February 25, 2015
A crazy lovestory in true Gilliam fashion. This ensemble cast works the script well and delivers a dark yet pleasant story you'll want to watch. Once.
½ February 22, 2015
I like New York in July
How about you?
I like a Gershwin tune
How about you?
½ February 14, 2015
Great film to watch on Valentine's Day! Great performances and Gilliam seems to be a bit more restrained with some of his more over the top leanings
January 30, 2015
A good concept but the film is way too strange and irritating. Got halfway through and couldn't take anymore.
January 24, 2015
Oscar win best supporting actress Mercedes Ruehl
½ January 24, 2015
Well directed, well produced, performed by fantastic talents playing the crazies...
January 18, 2015
Brilliant Bridges & Williams as two men united in tragedy.The sequence of chinese dinner and the finale are fabulous
½ January 18, 2015
Buenas actuaciones y una direcciòn menos estridente a lo que nos acostumbrado su director , una pelicula que cuando la vuelvo a ver me gusta cada vez màs , a pesar de los excesos de Robin Williams.
January 5, 2015
one of my top 10 Robin Williams movies
½ December 30, 2014
In Fisher King, you can connect the dots of Terry Gilliam's works: ragamuffin costumes from Time Bandits, retelling of Arthurian story of Monty Python and The Holy Grail, asylum from 12 Monkeys, paranoia of knight-like figure and dystopic places from Brazil and ideas of delusions and insanity from Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. The chemistry of Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges is one of strongest points that makes this movie worth to watch. But in the end of the day, in terms of screenplay and visual styling, this is not the best of Terry Gilliam.
December 23, 2014
divertida desde que empieza hasta que termina...y definitivamente una de las mejores interpretaciones de Robin Williams
December 5, 2014
Terry Gilliam's fanciful style teamed with Robin William's neurotic and affecting performance is a delightful match made in whimsical, urban fantasy heaven.
November 17, 2014
One of the top 5 performances of Robin Williams' career. The movie has its shortcomings but if you know Terry Gilliam, then you should expect a roller coaster ride through weird fantasy to real life to melodrama to maudlin ideas to perfect little moments in time. It may not be perfect and is not one of Terry Gilliam's better films (see BRAZIL, TWELVE MONKEYS or TIME BANDITS), but it's his own version of movie magic...and that works for me.
November 10, 2014
Gilliam's most accessible film is funny, sad, full of despair and hope, grim reality and bizarre fantasy - usually all at the same time
November 7, 2014
I got this film from Netflix and just watched it. It is a gem. The performances are all so good. I loved it.
½ November 1, 2014
Terry Gilliam's mind is a twisted place. The movies he dreams up and has dreamt up all have this weirdness to them and this one is no exception. It is an incredibly different script for the movie that just rides and rides thanks to Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges supported by one stellar cast.

Having one of the best performances by Robin Williams, who is just spontaneous as the deranged yet deeply philosophical man is just wondrous. Being a huge fan of RW, I had previously missed this movie but now I have watched it and my feelings of missing such a giant of an actor/comedien is pronounced. The timing is impeccable, the dialogues done with fervor and energy that very few can muster, this is a movie surrendering its weight to RW's shoulder and he pulls it out like no other.

The other side is Jeff Bridges. His suave, smooth baritone voice and his ponytail just fit the role of Jack Lucas. A self-centered, self-loathing man modeled, apparently, after the famous Howard Stern. It is an incredible mix of talent and the story is sheer poetry thanks to them.

I loved the movie even though it is in equal parts fantasy, comedy and drama, the weight of the movie is still drama and it does get to you. So, this is not a movie that you'll find yourself going back to. It is a movie that you definitely have to watch, to enjoy and then remember it. However, I am pretty sure each dialogue by RW is a nugget waiting for you to revisit it at a later date. Definitely a movie to catch and it definitely is one of the best movies I have seen.