Fishing With John Reviews

• Aug 30, 2018

(3 1/2 out of 4 stars) Fishing with John is among the most comfortable shows I have ever watched. It is a parody of those boring fishing shows that have the potential to cure a case of insomnia. The humor is dry and often lands effectively. The characters are bizarre, and are definitely pleasurable to watch as John and his guest go on exotic adventures catching fish, despite the fact they really know next to nothing about it.

Joseph B Super Reviewer
    Apr 27, 2016

"Fishing with John" stars John Lurie with guests such as Jim Jarmusch, Willem Dafoe, Dennis Hopper, Matt Dillon and Tom Waits. Originally the show aired on IFC and Bravo in 1991 with a six episode run. I've never watched fishing shows on ESPN or other sports channels and although Lurie and his guests go fishing in beautiful locales that are tropical, arctic, etc., this show through its six episodes seems more about enjoying life then actually fishing. It's sometimes funny, sometimes poignant and sometimes introspective.

• Jan 18, 2015

Fishing with John is a highlight in absurdist film, i`m not sure John knows how to fish or which end of the rod goes in the water but then neither do his friends a sea sick tom waits and the obviously pretend fishing they do, are a highlight ,as is a creepy overnight stay with willem dafoe ice fishing i`m not sure i`d want that face grinning at me as I lay sleeping

• Stephen E Super Reviewer
    Jul 08, 2013

For fans of John Lurie, meaningless conversation, absurdist humor, randomness and a lack of narrative coherence, "Fishing With John" is where it's at. The uncomprisingly esoteric nature of each episode makes it an extremely tough sell to modern audiences, and only a select, select few will find it tolerable, but for those who are willing to embrace the strange, "Fishing With John" is quite entertaining.

Daniel D Super Reviewer
    May 31, 2013

Fishing with John is a six episode document ray program, of the fishing adventures of John Lurie. He brought his friends along, which included, Jarmusch, Waits, Dillon, Dafoe, and Hopper. My favorite episode was the first, with Jim Jarmusch, as it set a tone, and had hilarious dialogue. In fact I like the conversation in all the episodes, John Lurie is an obvious BS artist, and everyone else has wit in them. The only episode that I found boring is with Matt Dillon, since things just moved a bit slow. The man who had the most humorous moments in this film is narrator Robb Webb. I like how Lurie put it in an interview with Criterion: "He says something and it sounds as though it has to be true. And that is what really made it work, with him saying that ludicrous narration that I wrote." In fact a few times when Webb said something ridiculous, I believed him. What I did while watching this was I would view an episode or two a night, and process it the next day. This was a great leisure viewing, and a relaxing experience.

• May 09, 2013

John Lurie, sax player and composer for the Lounge Lizards and occasional actor (e.g., Down By Law) decided to make a fishing show, filming 6 episodes back in 1992. Each one takes him and a celebrity friend to a different exotic location. It is all fairly ridiculous, particularly the voiceover narration. I laughed. Some episodes are funnier than others because some people are funnier (e.g., Tom Waits), although Lurie himself is a card. His wit also shows up in the music which is pretty absurdist at times (or good at setting the mood). Expect a slow pace, nice visuals, good music, ridiculousness.

• Mar 03, 2013

I can't believe Criterion Collection actually picked this up. "Fishing With John" expects to put people who can't fish in a boat and let hilarity ensue. However, the result is about as boring as fishing itself. Even Tom Waits in Jamaica couldn't save it. For anyone out there who has the idea of "Hey I've got a camera! Let's put a bunch of famous people together in a boring situation! Something is sure to happen!" I've got bad news for you. Somebody already did that, and it's called Magical Mystery Tour.

• Aug 18, 2012

fun fishing documentary with wit and humor

fun fishing documentary with wit and humor

• Dec 17, 2011

This is such an easy movie to watch. Its like one of those old ESPN fishing shows with a Jim Jarmusch vibe featuring some of the coolest people on the planet. The narration by Robb Webb is amazing. The theme song is hilarious. Some it drags on a little too long but screw it. If you like anything Jarmusch has ever done or the people involved you owe it to yourself to see this.

Graham J Super Reviewer
    Oct 27, 2011

A strange but relaxing and entertaining set of episodes starring John Lurie and his famous friends going fishing.