Jing wu ying xiong (Fist of Legend) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jing wu ying xiong (Fist of Legend) Reviews

½ October 2, 2016
Gordon Chan directs and Jet Li stars as Chen Zhen in Fist of Legend. He is studying engineering in Japan, when is notified that his master has been defeated and killed. He immediately returns to China to pay his respects and then challenge the man who defeated him. Upon confronting the person who is said to have killed his master, he realizes it cannot be him as he is no match for Zhen. He suspects his master has been poisoned as part of a long rivalry between China and Japan. He

Fist of Legend features some excellent action sequences, as Li takes on fights ranging from 1 on 1, to 1 vs. 20. He takes on other masters, students and a crooked general. One fight includes him being blindfolded and they are forced to fight each other based on sound alone. The fighting sequences in the film are much rawer and feature Jet Li's abilities at his best, and do not feature wires, or other elements. This is the best aspect of this film. Fist of Legend also features a romantic element as he is in love with a Japanese woman, which is considered blasphemy for this time period. The plot is relatively simple, but this is solid Kung-Fu film. Jet Li has never been one of my favorites, but this is easily one of his best films.

-10.1.2016
May 5, 2016
As is the case with many martial arts movies, "Fist of Legend" is cheesy, predictable, and thinly-plotted, but Jet Li kicks some serious ass in slick, well-choreographed fights. I must say, however, that the final fight is rather disappointing, but, ultimately, you'll be entertained.
½ February 24, 2016
Jet Li, a man who could remake Bruce Lee and actually have a great outcome. Great Kung-Fu flick, and great movie about acceptance.
November 25, 2015
super movie i have watched this movie maybe 5-6 times
½ November 1, 2015
This film is so similar to Ip man that it really isn't worth watching both, it's not a bad film just not too similar to a lot of others. I think that, if I lived in hong kong, I'd be so sick of martial art movies but I guess that there must be a big fanbase for them to keep on churning them out.
½ October 4, 2015
Great film that's one of a growing line of films inspired by Bruce Lee's "Fists of Fury" where he took on the occupying Japanese in China. Great actions scenes to enjoy even if you're not a huge fan of the genre, although this film is more generally enjoyed by those of us who are.
July 12, 2015
Fist of Legend a très mal vieilli, mais en 1994, le film de Gordon Chan devait être une révolution dans le film d'arts martiaux, dans la mesure où les combats se rapprochent dans la vitesse d'exécution de ce qu'on peut voir aujourd'hui avec Donnie Yen. Il est alors dommage que le script ne soit qu'un prétexte pour enchaîner les bastons sous couvert de guerre Japon-Chine. Jet Li y est absolument génial, extrêmement charismatique et efficace même dans l'émotion. Certaines scènes sont franchement époustouflantes comme le combat entre Jet Li et son ancien professeur ou le dernier duel d'une violence inouïe. Fist of Legend est un pur produit de son époque qu'il faut apprécier comme tel.
½ July 10, 2015
My favorite of Jet Li's many fine Hong Kong martial arts films. I'd always thought this film seemed reminiscent of Bruce Lee's "The Chinese Connection," but in reading trivia on IMDB, I realized they were playing the same real-life character in this story a of China and Japan rivalries. The story is merely passable, but the martial arts are the real star of this film. Li is in top form, as is fight choreographer Yuen Woo-Ping (who American audiences have seen his fight work in the likes of "The Matrix" and "Kill Bill 1 & 2"). This film is one that I've watched repeatedly and each time it holds up and never fails to impress. A must see film for fans of martial arts films with wire work and is also probably a good film as an entry point for martial arts newbies. Watch it!
½ June 28, 2015
Jet Li started gathering a reputation that he was just a poser through his first few films. For some reason, people thought he wasn't the real deal. So what he did was recreate with heavy influence one of Bruce Lee's most famous films, Fist of Fury. This is why Fist of Legend is considered one of his breakout roles in the martial arts lore. There's some big skull cracking and bone breaking in the first fifteen minutes. While the plot follows your prototypical kung fu line, there were actually a few strings pulled to keep you on your feet if you weren't paying enough attention.

The sound effects could have been a bit more on point and not so conspicuous and it seemed like the dialogue was a bit delayed, but when it came to actually seeing the hand-to-hand combat on screen, there's nothing better for its time.
June 5, 2015
2015-06-05 lots of well choreographed fighting action
½ June 3, 2015
The story is more likely a remake version of Bruce Lee's Chinese Connection. More like an over the top version of it with some twist and romance of its plot. Really predictable when you already saw the Bruce Lee version yet you want to see Jet Li's awesome martial arts stunts and some bone crunching fight action moves. Some intense moments with the fight scenes as it is one of Jet Li's finest. It will take you from the edge of your seat as martial arts moments are on. 3.5 stars out of 5.
May 30, 2015
A remake of one if the most revered Bruce Lee films made. Incredible fight choreography. One of Jet Li's BEST films. Highly recommended for fans of Martial Arts flicks.
February 8, 2015
My favorite film ever.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
This is probably one of the best Jet Li flick out there. It has a great portion of amazing fight scenes which its a must for a martial art flick like this. The feeling reminds me alot of old classic kung fu movies from the 70's-80' which i like alot. The story tho are just average but for being a martial art flick its more than enough and i care more of nice fights instead. A highly recommend movie and Jet Li fans should definitely watch it.
½ December 8, 2014
November 30, 2014
Review:
Although this movie was made in the early 90's, the concept is a pretty old school. How many Kung Fu movies have we seen were the hero says to his enemy, "You Killed My Master"? Basically the whole film is based on Jet Li revenging the death of his old master, and to get to the truth of his death, he has to challenge Japan's best fighters with the help of his friend. Like many old school martial arts movies, the acting is pretty sketchy but the action scenes were great. You kind of want them to stop the chatting and just get on with the action but thats just my personal opinion. I liked the authenticity of the whole film and the showdown at the end with the Dolph Lundgren lookalike was quite good, but I still prefer the proper old school Kung Fu movies. Watchable!

Round-Up:
This is Jet Li in his usual kicking butt mode. I haven't seen his co-stars in any other movies, but I'm sure they will be popping up during my Jet Li season. The film does have a Bruce Lee feel to it which is why it went down so well at the box office. Personally, I have seen the film a few times before so I knew what to expect and I still enjoyed watching it again.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: HK$31million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their Jet Li movies about a man who is seeking revenge after finding out that his old Kung Fu master has been mysteriously murdered. 6/10
August 27, 2014
One of the best Hong Kong movies, and certainly another feather to adorn Jet Li's cap.
- ~2003
August 16, 2014
Very solid martial arts movie, that does a great job of paying homage to Fist of Fury whilst carving out its own identity as a by the books revenge story.
½ August 15, 2014
?????????????????? ??????? ?? ??????????????????????????????? ???????????? ???????? ???????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????