So Hak-Yi (Fist of the Red Dragon) (Heroes Among Heroes) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

So Hak-Yi (Fist of the Red Dragon) (Heroes Among Heroes) Reviews

August 17, 2015
good kung fu actioner
January 7, 2013
Somewhere between Once Upon A Time In China (epic cinematic gem) and Last Hero In China (crappy parody/cash-grab) comes this film. This is the whimsical kind of slapstick action movie that came out of Hong Kong in this period. Some works like Iron Monkey rise above the entertainment-value to become great works of film though. This is not one of them. It ranks in the run-of-the-mill pile with Wing Chun - there's a lot better and there's a lot worse. Breakneck speed, lacking in script, acting, proper pacing, etc. Everything is over-the-top. The fighting is awesome like Woo-Ping's choreography in Last Hero In China which is an incredibly annoying movie. . . this flick ends up overly campy though.

It does have some benefits; Donnie Yen vs Xin Xin Xiong. All the while you've got a Jet Li lookalike as Wong Fei-Hung kicking ass. This movie is shot competently and feels like it is officially an unofficial spin-off of the OATIC series.

Soooooo: the reason to see it is for Yuen Woo-Ping's directing (he's not the best director but he is the best choreographer), or Donnie Yen especially if you wanna see him fight Xin Xin Xiong. Not a bad movie but probably one of Woo-Ping's weaker films. Glad he went on to do Iron Monkey after this followed by Tai Chi Master (Twin Warriors) -- two back to back masterpieces before kinda falling off again with Wing Chun and then moving away from directing to focus on his true talent.
½ August 14, 2011
Another kung-fu movie from the master: Woo-Ping Yuen. The story is not really original: opium dealing involving the "evil" British!! (Strongly reminiscent of Drunken Master 2, Tai Chi 2 or even Once Upon a Time in China!!) Yuk Wong, who portrays Wong Fei Hong in this film, is a good martial artist but Donnie Yen steals the show with his grace and his charisma. He even uses the drunken style. There is a good amount of fights in this movie but they are short but the climactic fight is great.
½ July 15, 2011
Yuen, Yen, Wong Fei-hung and opium make a great combo. Lots of martial arts, dust and slapstick. Bucktoothed stereotype where are you? Oh there you are Auntie! Fun early 90's Kung-Fu flick.
May 15, 2011
So Hak Yi(Fist Of Red Dragon) was a fun and enjoyable martial arts movie directed by master martial arts Director Yuen Woo Ping and starring the new famous action star Donnie Yen.The Story is good and simple,it's about the old days of "Opium"(drugs).Actions are quite imaginative,it was directed pretty well even though it was short.I have a little problem on the movie,it's the editing of the actions coz I was a bit confuse when the action started,may be they are trying to make the action more exciting(but it's really exciting and stunning).Donnie Yen,who played So Chan..the character is interesting and funny..so Donnie Yen has to do more funny acts in here.Overall,Fist of The Red Dragon is a good martial arts movie even though it was not Director Yuen Woo Ping's and Donnie Yen's best movie.Donnie Yen's fans can give this a try.:)
½ August 26, 2010
7/10: Directed by Yuen Woo-Ping. Donnie Yen's Beggar So vs. Wong Fei Hong. Awesome fighting choreography!
January 27, 2010
Donnie Yen is always the best!
deano
½ January 27, 2010
Another kung fu movie from the master: Woo-Ping Yuen. The story is not really original: opium dealing involving the "evil" British!! (Strongly reminiscent of Drunken Master 2, Tai Chi 2 or even Once Upon a Time in China!!) Yuk Wong, who portrays Wong Fei Hong in this film, is a good martial artist but Donnie Yen steals the show with his grace and his charisma. He even uses the drunken style. There is a good amount of fights in this movie but they are short but the climactic fight is great.
May 11, 2009
A decent martial arts movie with a plot about drugs. Its pretty timeless, since back then people wanted opium legalized, and now people want marijuana legalized.

Aside from that plot, there are some good fight scenes. There are a lot of moments where this film copies other moments, such as:

Commando - the villain dies the same
French Connection II - hero suffers drug withdrawal
LA Confidential - one protagonist is tricked into fighting the other

I watched it for Donnie Yen. Average plot, good action choreography.
April 22, 2009
I wish this was shown to my Health class in high school/middle school when we were going over drugs.
What better way to teach about the effects of drug addition than a martial arts flick?
While I was originally expecting something more serious, it ended up being an action-comedy, only made funnier by the ridiculous dubbing. I'm a sucker for Donnie Yen and martial art films though, so I'd watch this again. :)
February 24, 2009
Vintage Donnie Yen Goodness. Funny stuff too.
February 10, 2009
its Donnie Yen! so i knew it was one of the best movies ever made before i even bought it
July 8, 2008
donnie yen rocks my face off, seriously.
December 19, 2007
haha, old school donny Yen! It was a fun movie to watch is all I can really say.
September 28, 2007
You should see this movie...every asian stereotype is elaborated upon in this movie...yes every asian person knows martial arts
June 24, 2007
This movie is so badly done that it is hilarious! Don't know if they did that on purpose or not but who cares?
June 18, 2007
This was a really good movie, Hate the dub.
June 12, 2007
I have never laughed so hard! The dubbing is absolutely terrible, the plot is lacking and the acting is terrible, but if you are looking for a movie so bad its funny...here is your film!
June 6, 2007
A throwback to movies like Once upon a time in china.