Hong Wending san po bai lian jiao (Fists of the White Lotus) (Clan of the White Lotus) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hong Wending san po bai lian jiao (Fists of the White Lotus) (Clan of the White Lotus) Reviews

½ July 8, 2016
When most of Gordon Liu's friends and family are slaughtered by the sinister White Lotus Clan, Liu and his brother's pregnant wife are forced into hiding. He trains to exact vengeance upon the evil priest who leads the clan. This flick is 90% fighting and training sequences, but they're so damn good, you won't care.
February 28, 2016
I hadn't watched that many Gordon Liu pictures until recently, but I've really come to appreciate him as a martial arts actor. Besides is skills and charisma, he probably has the best scowl of any actor I've ever seen. In this film, directed by Lieh Lo, Liu takes on an evil white-beard-stroking priest, White Lotus, who actually looks very similar to one of the two characters Liu would play in Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" films. The film has a pretty familiar story, with the White Lotus doing some evil things, Lui then trains to fight White Lotus, and then the two face of in a climactic fight. This film does feature some clever training sequences I hadn't seen before, mainly of which is Liu practicing on paper mannequins to perfect his fighting technique. Terrific faction, solid production values and a strong performance from Liu makes this a must see for kung-fu film fans.
August 1, 2012
Classic hand to hand flick
½ July 25, 2012
Even with some exceptional fight scenes, Clan of the White Lotus is still pretty weird, dated, and lame just like its "prequel" Executioners From Shaolin. Pretty much everything else is either frustrating or tiresome but the fight scenes will keep you well entertained. It's one of the many classic kung fu films that have really fantastic choreography but you have to sit through some weird 70s cheesiness to get to it. Luckily, this film is almost non-stop action.
½ June 2, 2012
Great Kung-Fu, but a lot of crotch attacks. These guys were really going for a dude's weak spots!
So many zoom in shots must be a Kung-Fu movie thing.
½ June 2, 2012
I saw this for the first time last night, and what a treat -- it was also up on a big screen at the Portage Theater in Chicago. I didn't realize until recently that Lo Lieh had directed too. He did a fine job, but also in a role he is most widely known for: as the lead villain. He's sort of a twin brother to the legendary villain Pai Mei here, with Gordon Liu as the young hero who needs to get his revenge. Kara Hui is excellent as a relative of Gordon Liu who teaches him her more feminine style of fighting, which he needs to defeat Lo Lieh. The action choreography was done by the great Liu Chia-Liang, and it was so obvious. All of the most creative and detailed fighting styles of the era were constructed by him, and even though he didn't direct this one, it felt like his movie.
½ March 12, 2012
Definitely one of the first Shaw Brothers movies one should scope out if you're exploring these old films. It has all the great fight choreography, vivid characters, and comedy you'll be looking for. And as mentioned, the villain is amazing.
½ December 9, 2011
Above average old school martial arts film. Clever in setting up the necessity of our hero's learning a lighter feminine style of Kung Fu in order to triumph.
½ October 23, 2011
I didn't even know this was a sequel to Executions of Shaolin. Its a pretty standard story, but Lau Kar Leung's fight choreography with Gordon Liu makes this more entertaining than it should be. A few cool fights with sword wielding bodyguards is the best parts of this martial arts flick.
September 6, 2011
Classic old school kung-fu action. Pai Mei is a delightful villain.
½ May 11, 2011
Really surprised me and had a lot of fun with this. My list and knowledge of Martial Arts/Kung-Fu flicks may not be too wide and broad, but this is one of the best i've seen thus far.
½ September 7, 2010
February 8, 2010
Gordon li vs legh lo in this martial arts classic. I have to say Pai mei has one of the most random powers lol
½ February 3, 2010
Very good. Some great fight scenes and lots of them to boot. Gordon Liu gets his ass kicked several times and is worth seeing. Oh and also this is one of the movies with Pai Mei from Kill Bill in it. Worth a watch if you get over yourself about watching some classic martial arts. ;D
November 16, 2009
May 23, 2009
The original Pai mei was awsome
April 7, 2009
I like the twist in this one. The lead character has to learn Kung Fu from his WIFE in order to beat the town baddass. Her softer style throws off the evil master. A good flick. Note that the cover on this site is OLD. There is a newer remastered version that is crisp and clear. That is what I watch!
January 21, 2009
I am never going to watch another action movie the same since the Shaw Brothers. They have amazing set designs, excellent pace of fighting, funny dialogue, amazing fighting styles, and almost perfect cinematography. Anyone who decides to make any action fighting style movies should watch Fist of the White Lotus. Everyone knows that Tarantino did.