A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) Reviews

March 11, 2016
Great Clint Eastwood movie
½ March 1, 2016
Sergio Leone's spaghetti Western amped up the genre's violence, but also has unexpected heart. Ennio Morricone's, er, I mean, Dan Silva's, soundtrack also elevates the film to high art.
½ February 16, 2016
The more often I watch it, the more I like it. Sergio Leone re-inventing a genre, and Eastwood is the right man at the right place.
½ February 5, 2016
This is the 1st in The Man With No Name trilogy. It introduces the righteousness of Eastwood's protagonist, "The Man With No Name". This film is a great Leone spaghetti Western, and one of the best ever made. A classic. You do not have to watch this prior to watching The Good, The Bad And The Ugly or For A Few Dollars More.
January 15, 2016
this film spawned a era of these types of films. this may have been one of the first but is not the best and is average
January 14, 2016
This was a little sparse and the dialogue stilted. It had a vaguely Shakespearean sense to it - two families, a small town, who will kill who... and the mysterious stranger....
January 8, 2016
This movie was hard to follow and often made me zone out. The movie had pretty over dramatic acting. I thought it was very random overall. The movie was very confusing and left was to many questions unanswered.
½ December 28, 2015
A classic Eastwood moment, but you have to really be into spaghetti westerns to want to sit through this. I'm more of a fan of Peckinpah Eastwood so this was somewhat of a struggle.
December 23, 2015
This is the first Clint Eastwood movie I watched. And was it amazing!! Add to it the score from Ennio Morricone and some great screenplay... It's wonderful all through (only to be bettered by For a Few dollars more).
Must watch.
December 20, 2015
A Fistful of Dollars lays the foundation for amazing sequels. The movie itself is good but nothing incredible.
December 15, 2015
Tremendous box office to budget ratio, this film has an intricate story for its time and genre.
½ December 2, 2015
A Fistful of Dollars is a fine western. The action sequences are great, the score is obviously memorable, and Clint Eastwood's grizzled performance is is considered iconic for a reason; that said, it's more than certainly the worst in its trilogy given the fact that the series' reputation and what the film actually delivers are so disparate. It feels extremely long at only 100 minutes (which is obviously inherent to the genre), with several superfluous sequences involving characters rambling off unnecessary exposition and a tedious back-and-forth narrative that takes far too long to corral the two competing families into the climactic showdown, dragging out the proceedings in a way that never feels compelling. While A Fistful of Dollars doesn't measure up to its legacy, it is the first in the trilogy and it's certainly possible that it was a dry run for those later installments that might prove more rewarding.
½ November 21, 2015
Rough and brutal but Leone is beginning to finesse his art in this film.
½ November 6, 2015
The only reason that i don't give this picture 5 full stars is that i consider the second movie superior to this one.
October 11, 2015
My mistake, four coffins.
October 3, 2015
A great western in a great trilogy.
½ September 15, 2015
A satisfying start to Leone's legendary "Dollars" trilogy, "A Fistful Of Dollars" presents thrilling action, a charismatic lead performance, and some fantastic score work from Ennio Morricone.
½ September 11, 2015
Simply fuckin fantastic. Such a great remake of Yojimbo. And I'm still on the fence as to whether this is my favorite of the man with no name trilogy. There's just to much to state. Beautifully shot, scored, written and acted, this is the quintessential western to me.
½ September 8, 2015
Surprisingly enjoyable (I say 'surprisingly' because this isn't exactly my genre).
September 7, 2015
An unusually stylish western, "A Fistful of Dollars" kicks off a brilliant trilogy, and leaves room to improve.