A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) Reviews

November 18, 2015
Leone's classic that laid the ground for a new era for Westerns, and even though it is not as fantastic and visually stunning as what he made after, you can already see here the seeds of his unique directing style and the introduction of Eastwood's sullen anti-hero, The Man With No Name.
½ November 6, 2015
The only reason that i don't give this picture 5 full stars is that i consider the second movie superior to this one.
October 11, 2015
My mistake, four coffins.
October 3, 2015
A great western in a great trilogy.
½ September 15, 2015
A satisfying start to Leone's legendary "Dollars" trilogy, "A Fistful Of Dollars" presents thrilling action, a charismatic lead performance, and some fantastic score work from Ennio Morricone.
½ September 11, 2015
Simply fuckin fantastic. Such a great remake of Yojimbo. And I'm still on the fence as to whether this is my favorite of the man with no name trilogy. There's just to much to state. Beautifully shot, scored, written and acted, this is the quintessential western to me.
½ September 8, 2015
Surprisingly enjoyable (I say 'surprisingly' because this isn't exactly my genre).
September 7, 2015
An unusually stylish western, "A Fistful of Dollars" kicks off a brilliant trilogy, and leaves room to improve.
September 7, 2015
My introduction to proper spaghetti westerns. I can't stand flutes, so that was starting to get obnoxious. There was a lot more humor than I thought there would be, and not just because of the terrible dubbing! I honestly didn't know what the hell was going on for the first half of the movie. Can't you just make the gangs wear one color/style of clothing like in modern-day movies?! There were a few random way-too-long shots of the hero riding around or fight scenes with nothing happening, but other than that, the pacing was great, and the movie really held up.
½ August 30, 2015
Some aspects of the film may not hold up well today, but Clint Eastwood's performance as a gunslinging anti-hero and a terrific ending make ''A Fistful of Dollars' a film western buffs can thoroughly enjoy.
½ August 15, 2015
Though not the best of the Sergio Leone trilogy and not Eastwood's best Western this is still an iconic piece of cinema that features a great lead role, fantastic score, is well shot, the plot is decent and the action still thrills to this day.
July 30, 2015
After having watched a major part of Kurosawa's oeuvre (not the least Yojimbo), it's only fitting to move on to the early films by Sergio Leone. This is classic spaghetti western, with Clint Eastwood's inscrutable hero, Gian Maria Volonté as the perfect bad guy, Ennio Moricone's haunting music and widescreen photos from ground level of boots with spurs tingling. Beautiful! OK, so it's totally over-the-top, the make up blood looks like ketchup and the dialogue is sometimes a bit stilted, its still highly enjoyable.

Something I wasn't prepared for was just how hard I was hit by the drama with the young boy and his parents. I realise now that the last time I saw this film, I didn't have any kids myself...
½ July 28, 2015
A Fistful of Dollars, the first entry in Sergio Leone's epic dollars trilogy, is an outstanding western with a well written story and mesmerizing performances!
July 19, 2015
The birth of the modern western (or at least a rebirth) that was to change the face of the genre in both Italy and the US forever. The first (highly influential) installment of what was to become the legendary 'Dollars Trilogy' . Slightly rough around the edges but the originality, style and a soundtrack by Ennio Morricone was in time rightly regarded as a classic 'A Fistful of Dollars' might well be a bastardized vision of the west but was a hugely popular hit with the Italian population and whilst the critics of the day slated the movie, for the people it was an instant and identifiable sensation. 'The Man With No Name' character, also revolutionized the hero by giving him an almost identical persona and motive as his enemy (basically loot). The anti-hero now has been imitated by so many since but never truly matched. By breaking every rule in the book Sergio Leone's first western was a breath of fresh air, to what had become a stagnant and almost redundant genre.
July 6, 2015
Spaghetti western with a plot that I found hard to follow, I must have lost concentration at a critical point. Will pay more attention when watching Yojimbo I think. I got enough to say it's a cool film.
½ July 3, 2015
"A Fistful of Dollars"--Sergio Leone's first entry in the "Dollars" or "Man With No Name" trilogy--begins with an opening title sequence reminiscent of a James Bond opening credit sequence--the stylized cartoonish animation with an exciting boisterous soundtrack (and people getting shot). Not to mention that Leone even references the iconic 'eye' from the Bond sequences. You could even nickname Fistful of Dollars "Western James Bond". It has the trademarks and quirks of a Bond movie, but has it's own uniqueness to it. Sergio has fun modifying the Hollywood clichés known during the movies contemporary time. You think something's going happen, it does, but in a completely different manor than you expected. The plot is as exciting as Ennio Morricone's score. Eastwood's subtle, Max Rockatansky/James Bond/Indiana Jones performance is iconic, yet has it's own quirkiness to it. If only Sergio had a bigger budget than $200,000, the cheap action (e.g. the gun trade where we first see Ramon) would have been much more realistic than a bunch of extras playing Cowboys and Indians.
½ July 1, 2015
93%
Watched this on 1/7/15
This is as good as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly(1966). Clint Eastwood single handedly holds this movie and it benefits from Sergio Leone's taut direction and superb background score. Now all that's left for me is to see For A Few Dollars More. The film is slick, shiny and utterly stylish with Clint Eastwood all over it.
June 19, 2015
It's Robin Hood for the first half, Die Hard for the second, and a great early modern western. Quite a body count. It's always interesting to me that it sometimes takes a European to capture the heart of American folklore. Good on ya, Mr Leone. Grade B+
June 3, 2015
I'm not even a fan of Spaghetti westerns nor western films in general, but this is bad ass. Heard Sergio Leone is a great director and started to get hooked up with this Dollars trilogy. This is a story of a man who has been in a town, stranded between both gangs and involved badly as things get worse. I love the whole revenge thing. I like stories that involve people, who are very important to the protagonist. And Clint Eastwood is the man, I love him in this film. He is very charismatic as a leading character. He handles that 45 like a boss. And Gian Maria Volonté as Rojo, another bad ass villain. Just watching their facial expressions, it is acting at its best. I love the story, I love the performances, I love the wonderful deserted setting, whether it's day or night, and the ending is one of the most bad ass ending ever in a western. I love the score too. It is a western masterpiece and I can't wait to watch the sequel. 4/5
June 1, 2015
A pesar de los overtops, actores novatos y personajes desdibujados, el guion prestado hace un mas que digno arranque del western almeriense rodado por italianos.