Tang shan da xiong (Fists of Fury) (The Big Boss) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tang shan da xiong (Fists of Fury) (The Big Boss) Reviews

½ June 1, 2016
Maybe a sub-titled version would be less goofy.
April 25, 2016
Fists of Fury (1971) ??
Young man works in factory where he begins to notice his friends disappearing. Not really all that good, but how could you hate a film like this? Bruce Lee's first major film role; followed by THE CHINESE CONNECTION.
½ January 7, 2016
The movie that made a Bruce Lee a star practically overnight is still his most vicious and one of his most entertaining ever.
December 26, 2015
One of the films that evolved action movies with fine fight choreographies.
½ December 22, 2015
Can't believe I watched this in 2015. A Bruce Lee cult classic!
November 26, 2015
Porradaria, sangue e Bruce Lee loucašo. Sem falar que o final Ú fdp.
½ July 3, 2015
After years of toiling unsuccessfully in Hollywood with bit parts and supporting roles, Bruce Lee went to Hong Kong to star in his first film, "The Big Boss" AKA "Fists of Fury" and began his rise to international stardom. The story in this film is pretty simple. Bruce goes to work in an ice factory but realizes his boss is up to no good. Bruce has made a promise to his dead mother not to fight, but he finds that he can't turn a blind eye any longer and must fight. While the film does a good job of showcasing Lee's martial arts talent, my main complaint is the Lee doesn't actually get to fight until the halfway through the film, and spends too much of the film with the dilemma of whether to fight or not. Still, an agreement could be made this film had better fights than anything in "Enter the Dragon."
½ June 4, 2015
This is the first of the five Bruce Lee hits that made a good recognition and made Bruce Lee more popular. Not really the best Bruce Lee film thinking this is as generic as it can get. Story wise it is simple yet predictable. But Lee's charisma really shines on screen. His first charm and those young muscular look leaves a trademark of his own. Amazing performance that gives a modern martial arts a huge hit.
February 5, 2015
The story was goofy, but the action scenes were top notch as expected. It did have some gruesome scenes though that surprised me. 3/5
½ January 7, 2015
That was dope. Dope in ice? Yes. Such a great movie. Bruce Lee is super charismatic (as usual) in this his first big movie.
December 17, 2014
I watched this when it first came out in the UK. I remember it being titled Fist Of Fury or The Big Boss. Again, at the time, it played to a packed cinema for weeks. Another Bruce Lee Classic and 'must see'..
November 26, 2014
It's just a pretty standard kung-fu movie, but it's easy to understand how it gave birth to Lee's stardom. That said, the fight scenes are extremely disappointing for a Bruce Lee film.
½ August 11, 2014
Fist of fury - Perfect.
July 6, 2014
The main problem is that the English voiceovers are a bit too cheesy, and there isn't enough bruce lee butt-kicking.
June 20, 2014
I own this on DVD in a five movie pack along with:
* Fist Of Fury (1971)
* Way Of The Dragon (1972)
* Game Of Death (1978)
* Game Of Death II (1981)
½ May 21, 2014
Bruce Lee the actor. The martial artist. The philosopher. The father. The Icon. Bruce wore so many hats in his short but monumental life. I have no doubt in my mind, that had he lived, he would've conquered the world. Many celebrities who burn bright but burn out just as fast become bigger in death than they ever were in life and that was the case here as well, however there is a debate on whether some of those who were taken from us too young would've burned as bright had they lived longer. Bruce Lee would've burned bright enough to block out the sun. But we will never know. Luckily he left behind 4 definitive and superb martial arts flicks and one amazing idea that was bastardized. THE BIG BOSS was the first of three major hits for Bruce in Asia. Already a star for the KATO SHOW(known here in the states as THE GREEN HORNET) TBB set the Asian box office on fire. Standard martial arts plot here, evil Drug Lord using a ice making plant as a front for drug making. Bruce is a Chinese man sent by his mother to Thailand to live with his cousins. His mother makes him promise not to fight, which why she sent him there. Lucky for us, he didn't keep that promise. His cousins and friends start disappearing and when Bruce goes to investigate the Big Boss goes after him. Big Mistake. Bruce Lee kicks some serious ass and the dude is just electric on screen. The Big Boss was just a taste of things to come.
May 1, 2014
Bruce will always be The Big Boss. The King is gone but the legend lives on.
April 26, 2014
I certainly wouldn't call Fists of Fury (AKA The Big Boss) a masterpiece or anything. For me personally, I've never been a fan of Kung Fu movies in general. I seek them out and watch them because everything bears merit, but they're not really my cup of tea. Of course, the main draw to anything starring Bruce Lee is Bruce Lee, and watching him work. That's the exciting part. Everything surrounding that is questionable most of the time. Not to say that everything is horrible, but there's a level of badness at work, or even levels of hokey in a lot of ways. The bad overdubs are partly to blame though. They're just hilarious most of the time. I know that you're not meant to take these movies too seriously, but they're just not for me. But this isn't one of the best ones, nor is it one of the worst.
April 19, 2014
I don't care if this was Bruce Lee's first movie. It's one of the worst I've seen!
½ March 15, 2014
The Big Boss is my second favorite Bruce Lee flick after the spectacular Enter The Dragon. It has a pretty good storyline, fun action sequences, and at times it's surprisingly effective dramatically, particularly the main characters "losses" in the final act, which I won't spoil. The Big Boss is Bruce Lee's most violent film carrying a lot of stabbing action, and one of the best martial arts films ever.