Fitzcarraldo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fitzcarraldo Reviews

February 15, 2015

Somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3 stars. The attempt to get the boat up the mountain is interesting to watch.
The film is marred by awful dubbing and ...
½ January 28, 2015
to show how crazy it was to drag a steamboat over a mountain for opera, Herzog dragged a steamboat over a mountain for film. toss a near-psychotic Kinski as the leading man, and you have one of the most audacious films ever to grace the celluloid skies.
January 1, 2015
Crazy and fun to watch.
December 9, 2014
A slow-paced film that was enjoyable for most of its run-time yet is undone by the last 20 minutes. After waiting for 2 hours and 20 minutes for them to get the boat over the mountain...... they go right back to the start having accomplished nothing. Really, what was the point? Also, Herzog is willing to cut down a forest and literally move a ship over a hill but can't make a model shot look real? Really?
½ November 29, 2014
A staggering work of art. No one makes movies like Herzog, no one dares.
October 3, 2014
Mostly for me, this isn't the type of movie I am interested in. I've seen foreign films I liked. I just found this one rather sedate. It probably didn't help that I had seen a documentary about this film before seeing the movie. That took out a lot of the tension and surprise.
September 24, 2014
Best movie I've probably ever seen
September 13, 2014
Werner Herzog's insanity surpasses that of Klaus Kinski's the end result is this glorious spectacle that continues to wow viewers today!
½ September 9, 2014
This is an absurd movie about the absurd things that people do and believe in-- there's nobody left unscathed. Extra half star just for the sheer audacity of it all, way to hammer your point home by actually going out and doing it yourself Herzog
August 31, 2014
Great and weird movie by Werner Herzog
July 6, 2014
A truly magical film about the often insane pursuit of dreams. Brilliant.
May 30, 2014
Crazy, crazy story directed by the inimitable Werner Herzog! It's the best movie ever about an Irish/German dude trying to make his dreams a reality in early 20th century Peru. Huerequeque!
½ April 1, 2014
first of all one must praise Werner Herzog for the nature of his unusual and somehow very interesting subject. Sure the film plays like a metaphor about the folly but also the passion and tenacity of the human spirit. This film is masterfully shot and greatly acted by a cast on top of their games. It seems a little dull in the end because the film doesn't really lead anywhere but as a spectacle this film is like it's subject , a vast opera with drama, fights and colorful characters. Definitely a beautiful exercise of style and film making. The genre of epic films we don't get to see anymore.
March 31, 2014
One of the first non-documentaries from this director that I have seen, and a long piece of the adventurous type.

We follow a guy that wants to build an opera someplace near the Amazonas. We follow him and his boat with it's crew and most happenings does happen here. It's based on a true story by the way, but I wonder what's left of it.

It never felt that long so the pacing is quite nice I guess.
Pretty filming and great dialogues is key ingredients here. It's not often that films are released originally as dubbed. The actors deliver in English, but it's directly dubbed in German. That makes it more tricky to rate the acting for me, but it looks solid enough.
It's a nice ride and the story is original and cool.

Klaus Kinski seems like an unstable guy, even on the set. The film is know for his intense freakouts whithin the production -
complaining about the food on the set and things like that.
We also meet Claudia Cardinale - the lovely girl from "Once Upon a Time in the West", she have aged well I must say.

Probably a very difficult film to make - real Indians, a crazy Kinski and a non friendly climate.

To sum it up - a crazy film that seem like a weird documentary. Still, a very real and trustworthy film. Not a perfect film, but it never was supposed to be one, it's great just the way it is.

7.5 out of 10 ice blocks.
March 22, 2014
The aims of Werner Herzog are just as madly ambitious as the film's title character.
March 18, 2014
Matenme pero no soy fan de kinski aún
½ February 2, 2014
Ambition is the key in this movie, both Fitzcaraldo's and Werner Herzog's ambition. A bit slow in the beginning, this movie picks up once they get on the river. Beautifully shot with some of the most memorable images in cinema, this is a great movie.
½ February 2, 2014
It's difficult to imagine what Herzog must have went through to make this film, but it is all the better for it. Klaus Kinski embodies the soul of man's ambition and with it manages to pull a steam boat over a small mountain.
January 16, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.