5 Fingers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

5 Fingers Reviews

October 1, 2016
It is exceptionally rare that any film-noir is based on a true story. But this is the case here, as this movie tells 'the story of the highest paid spy in history', quotes the movie's tagline.

Set during the Second World War, James Mason is very good as Ulysses DIello, the character which the movie is based on.

Joseph L Mankiewicz's direction is very good, as is the screenplay by Michael Wilson, and they both received Oscar nominations (Wilson won a Golden Globe for the script).

A gripping movie which is well worth viewing and the fact that this is based on true events makes the film very watchable from start to finish. It may be one of Mankiewicz's forgotten films but I consider it to be one of his very good ones and will still be one of Hollywood's finest directors. The dramatic moments keep you on the edge-of-your-seat and the script is well written.
February 20, 2016
Something for everyone here, intrigue, WW II spys, historical accuracy and locations, and plot twists with a stunning ending. I thoroughly enjoyed it, finally got to watch the entire movie after having come in late, but still found it a fantastic film, just bided my time
e until it showed up again. Don't listen to anyone who gives it a rating of less than 100%, they're just being pickers of nit.
½ May 26, 2015
"Do you know the Aslane mosque in the old quarter?... Be sure totake you shoes off. The Muslims will resent it if you don't"
"Childish"
"To them, no more childish than you resenting someone's hat being on in church."
½ January 14, 2015
Well made WW II spy film, based on a true story. James Mason's charisma is the glue that holds this together. Neat to see exteriors were shot in the actual locations.
½ September 6, 2014
One of the most twisted spy movie of all time. Credit also goes to the charismatic James Mason.
August 31, 2014
Masterpiece spy thriller with an utterly compelling performance by James Mason
August 21, 2013
5 Fingers is a great thriller on a par with Hitchcock's Diplomatic Immunity. One of the best early depictions of spycraft smack dab in the middle of the Cold War.
May 28, 2012
Clever riveting British black & white espionage film released in 1952, set during WW2 in Turkey starring James Mason. Based on true events that took place in Ankara (Operation Cicero). Loved every minute of it. One of the best spy films I've seen.
April 11, 2011
A brilliant psychodrama starring the world's most popular actor, James Mason. Odd Man Out makes a powerful political statement and brings the gritty reality of terrorism into focus in the postwar era. An amazing film.
October 2, 2010
Fabulously tense and dark spy thriller . If you enjoy the Harry Palmer movies or Le Carre then this movie is right up your street.
September 29, 2010
Fictionalised account of the story of the valet to the British ambassador in Turkey, who sold secrets to the Germans. The story is full of twists and turns and leaves the question of whether he was a double-agent pleasingly unanswered. Great performance from James Mason as the dastardly spy.
March 8, 2010
Great espionage film. It is allegedly based on a true story -- Well, if it *is* true, then it is only the Nazis' fanatism and paranoia that saved our butts in WWII. Guess that's what happens when sociopaths, criminals and thugs rule a country.
½ November 27, 2009
Just one of those classic old films. James Mason is excellent.
October 12, 2009
I won't be watching this one.
½ August 8, 2009
James Mason est la classe incarnee!
May 19, 2009
How did I manage to miss this movie until now? James Mason transforms this run-of-the-mill, conventionally told spy story into a riveting psychological study, and Danielle Darrieux, brilliant as always, serves as the perfect foil for his performance. I probably wouldn't rate it in my all-time top ten, but for a film I only stumbled upon by accident it was fantastic.
January 29, 2009
James Mason...James Fucking Mason
November 16, 2008
Una peli de guerra donde la guerra no lo es todo con un final super sincero de los mejores finales del cine
September 1, 2008
Juegos de espias, "guerras inteligentes", intereses particulares
½ August 1, 2008
un superbe film !!! Il a plus de 50 ans, mais il est d'une modernité impresionnante ! Pas un temps, pas le temps de s'ennuyer, des dialogues très bons, et un scénario (inspiré de faits réels) vraiment génial !!! On y retrouve bien l'ambiance des années 50, la british class de James Mason, et la french class de Danielle Darieux. Une réalisation tout en fluidité, et des rebondissements. A voir et à revoir !